Chum bags

Trophy21

Crew Member
What are you guys using for chum bags when anchoring for Halli? I’ve used potato sacks before and they got devoured ....lol.

Thanks in advance boys and girls

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you guys using for chum bags when anchoring for Halli? I’ve used potato sacks before and they got devoured ....lol.

Thanks in advance boys and girls
We use a capped piece of 6" pvc pipe with holes drilled in it. Then stuff it with salmon carcasses or whatever you like.

Last edited:
I got a couple stainless water bottles with wide mouths (easier to fill) from the 2nd hand store for a dollar. Drill holes and clip to DR.

Initially used onion bags which I picked up at the Burlap factory in Langley for peanuts. Burlap bags as well for winter flower pot and plant protection. Worked just fine.
Moved to 6" holed PVC piping with a screw top and down rigger release clips on each end. Kept the carcasses in a salmon bag and then emptied into the PVC with no mess. Worked admirably.

Thanks guys! Great ideas. I might have to get some pvc pipe.

Mesh crab bags work great.
At home I cut up my old bait scraps (herring salmon....), add some herring sent to the mix and freeze in a zip lock sandwich bag. Once out on the water, remove the frozen bait from the bag, place it in the crab bag (fit's perfect) and onto the down rigger to go to bottom. With the bait frozen it will thaw slower than being freshly bagged bait and with the sent mixed helps get the smell out there..

Back