Soft side Coolers/ Kill bags

ziggy

Just got a Reliable Kill Bag and wondered if any of you were using them. The only downside I see is the seams leak at the stitching. Not a problem if the bag is hung over the side, but not great for transporting the catch home. I see where they suggest using 5200 to seal the seams if you feel it’s important, looks like a messy solution. Im thinking of just bagging my fish and using freezer packs as opposed to ice. Anyone have any experience good or bad with these kill bags?

I bought the Calcutta 36" bag, only used it twice, the slight insulation is nice but I only use it from the cleaning station to the vehicle. Still use a cooler on the boat. Really thick corners and doubled over seams, still careful not to let a sharp fin or bone stick out though. The shoulder strap is really handy while loaded down with other items. (I was on crutches for awhile, worked well)

calcutta-pack-fish-cooler-fish-kill-bag-cooler-kill-bags-calcutta-167477__18140.jpg

Also using the Calcutta and it works ok and they're relatively cheap. The bottom is one piece and the sides are sealed but zipper leaks a bit. The black coating on the zipper is flaking off and taking some wear, it's a bit of pain to zip up full of fish. It work for me in a small boat, I don't really have room for a cooler.

I had one and it started leaking from the seams after a couple seasons of gentle use. It rinsed out fairly easy and kept the fish cool. As @Aquaholic mentioned the sharp fins and teeth are going to damage the insulated seams over time. I’ve also heard some people use a layer of Gorilla waterproof sealant to cover the stitches.
I Switched back to the old reliable cooler for day trips and a large insulated Coleman at the camp base for longer trips.

I have the same bag don’t find the leaking to be much of a concern personally it’s very minor and a little bleach/water solution cleans off any smell. Find the bag easier to transport vs a cooler and can be rolled up and stored when not in use. They won’t hold ice as long as a good cooler will but they’re perfect for a day or weekend trip. I sit mine on the swim grid to save space in the boat.

i too have the calcutta 36” and it fits perfectly under my rear splashwell area. i freeze a bunch of water bottles and they line the bottom perfectly. perfect for day trips but yah the zipper is a pain to zip up if you have a few fish in the bag

I have the same bag don’t find the leaking to be much of a concern personally it’s very minor and a little bleach/water solution cleans off any smell. Find the bag easier to transport vs a cooler and can be rolled up and stored when not in use. They won’t hold ice as long as a good cooler will but they’re perfect for a day or weekend trip. I sit mine on the swim grid to save space in the boat.
I tried filling the Reliable with water and it leaks quite a bit at the seams. On their site they are open about this, so it’s not a surprise, in fact they suggest you use 5200 on the seams. Apparently this due to the heavy duty stitching. Not sure I’d be comfortable loading it into a car when it’s full of fish, unless they are bagged up.

I have a reliable and I am going to buy another. I use it the odd time I go tuna fishing. They are good for getting some weight forward in the boat when you’ve got 800lbs of ice out back. You can lay em on the bow or tie them to the bow rails.

I have a reliable and I am going to buy another. I use it the odd time I go tuna fishing. They are good for getting some weight forward in the boat when you’ve got 800lbs of ice out back. You can lay em on the bow or tie them to the bow rails.
My buddy that I fish tuna with in Tofino has a big bag strapped on each side of his walk around forward if the cockpit for extra capacity and weight distribution

I tried filling the Reliable with water and it leaks quite a bit at the seams. On their site they are open about this, so it’s not a surprise, in fact they suggest you use 5200 on the seams. Apparently this due to the heavy duty stitching. Not sure I’d be comfortable loading it into a car when it’s full of fish, unless they are bagged up.
Ya but you’re putting ice in the bag it will still melt and leak but at a much slower rate when compared to just water. I’m not in a car the bag is in the bed of a pickup truck but yes a long drive in a car could be an issue.

This holds 6 five pound pinks or 1 twenty-eight pound spring. All available at your local building supply or tackle shop. It hasn't leaked in two years. I have a plastic tote for when it goes in the car. 16" x 40"
20230904_140638.jpg

I Had an old gray soft-sided Katch Cooler, it was garbage. Now I bought a couple medium 16x36” Calcutta’s. They’re cheap ($50) and more of day-fish option as they’re easy to move around and store in different places on the boat. Quality seems decent. @RiverBoy covered everything. It does fit nicely under the motor well in the 185’s, but I find I like storing it up towards the step down/cuddy in mine. I prefer a hard cooler but it takes up too much space for just a day of fishing. I wouldn’t suggest keeping it inside a vehicle other than the back of a truck that can be washed out.

I put the Reliable on my Christmas Wish List that helps my wife pick out things for me. I'm apparently a tough guy to shop for. Made the mistake of not specifying a specific size and of course got the 18" high 38" long one. you would think 38" would be plenty long enough but that length is only across the top part of the bag and it tapers to only 20" along the bottom. good for fish up to 14 lbs if you have smaller ones to lay beneath them. Overall quality is super solid. It has a lot of insulation for a bag. It took a lot of effort, wrestling and leverage to turn it inside out to apply the sealant to the seems. Let it cure for weeks to make sure it was cured properly as I laid it on pretty thick. I did it in the winter time and apparently temperature affects cure times. Overall I like the bag but I think the 20"x 48" or the 14"x 60" is the way to go if you are storing and transporting whole fish. If you are just storing and transporting head off fish, winter sized fish or fillets the 18"x 38" would work really well. I've never had a leak but I never raw dog the fish strait into it with bare ice. I use it to transport princess dressed whole fish and use the tin foil insulated stuff, 100 lb liners, or sleeves I get from fish packing companies. Only complaint is if you have a good trip the the strap isn't very padded and it'll leave a bruise on your shoulder from all the weight. Good problem to have.
Reliable Fish Bag 1.jpgReliable Fish Bag 2.jpg

I put the Reliable on my Christmas Wish List that helps my wife pick out things for me. I'm apparently a tough guy to shop for. Made the mistake of not specifying a specific size and of course got the 18" high 38" long one. you would think 38" would be plenty long enough but that length is only across the top part of the bag and it tapers to only 20" along the bottom. good for fish up to 14 lbs if you have smaller ones to lay beneath them. Overall quality is super solid. It has a lot of insulation for a bag. It took a lot of effort, wrestling and leverage to turn it inside out to apply the sealant to the seems. Let it cure for weeks to make sure it was cured properly as I laid it on pretty thick. I did it in the winter time and apparently temperature affects cure times. Overall I like the bag but I think the 20"x 48" or the 14"x 60" is the way to go if you are storing and transporting whole fish. If you are just storing and transporting head off fish, winter sized fish or fillets the 18"x 38" would work really well. I've never had a leak but I never raw dog the fish strait into it with bare ice. I use it to transport princess dressed whole fish and use the tin foil insulated stuff, 100 lb liners, or sleeves I get from fish packing companies. Only complaint is if you have a good trip the the strap isn't very padded and it'll leave a bruise on your shoulder from all the weight. Good problem to have.
View attachment 97403View attachment 97404
I got the 20x48 always the optimist when it comes to fishing.

Someone needs to make one with a roll top, and heavy duty fabric, like a long, insulated dry bag

Just got a Reliable Kill Bag and wondered if any of you were using them. The only downside I see is the seams leak at the stitching. Not a problem if the bag is hung over the side, but not great for transporting the catch home. I see where they suggest using 5200 to seal the seams if you feel it’s important, looks like a messy solution. Im thinking of just bagging my fish and using freezer packs as opposed to ice. Anyone have any experience good or bad with these kill bags?

I have to unfortunate thing on my boat of no space for a fish hold. Big cooler gets in way.

I have two kill bags. Katch Kooler 2 bags. It isn't ideal but it works. Now with the pod hope to build something way better.

All I do is put the ice in fish bags so they don't leak. I can usually fit a good amount of fish in them and convenient to store.

That reliable bag is good. I may get one. @Derby had one I used on a trip. We put in trunk of car home with ice and it didnt leak at all. Pretty well made.

Last edited:
Back