Quick change snap choices

Earl Ledge

I’ve recently gone through six or so Lingcod lures (now positioned carefully on the bottom by my guests over the last few weeks). This has lead me to pick up some new materials. What are your preferred quick change snaps? I’ve just bought a dozen of the kind my commercial troller brother used to use to attach flashers, however my fingers aren’t as strong as they once were. Also I almost choked when I got home and noticed they were a buck thirty each. Do different kinds fish better than others? How strong do they have to be for codfishing or halibut? Do the bulk cheap Amazon ones let you down or work ok?

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 80
Coastlock ball bearing snaps are my go to. When I see Sampo brand ones I stock up.

Those Hawaiian snaps are great for trolling where the force is in one direction, but I’ve lost several jigs where the snap opened up just from jigging (yes, they were closed properly). I don’t know how they manage to self open, but it must have something to do with the jig eye sliding up and down the snap and getting twisted around.

These kind will open jigging. I've lost a couple jigs and brought a couple up that are half open. I've been giving serious consideration to switching to split rings and just carrying a set of small split ring pliers.

1688653514365.png

These pliers are small, stainless, cheap and readily available. PNT, Harbour Chandler and Amazon have them. I've been happy with them so far.

Last edited:
These kind will open jigging. I've lost a couple jigs and brought a couple up that are half open. I've been giving serious consideration to switching to snap rings and just carrying a set of small split ring pliers.

View attachment 94419

These pliers are small, stainless, cheap and readily available. PNT, Harbour Chandler and Amazon have them. I've been happy with them so far.

Well I’m kind of surprised you found them opening. Mine were old commercial fishing stock but now I’ve run out, it I never had one open on me. I wonder if the split ring plier would help handling the ‘banjo’ shaped ones I put in the picture above…

Well I’m kind of surprised you found them opening. Mine were old commercial fishing stock but now I’ve run out, it I never had one open on me. I wonder if the split ring plier would help handling the ‘banjo’ shaped ones I put in the picture above…
Ya, I was surprised as well. It's happened multiple times to me. I've talked to other people who have had the same thing happen. They are great for trolling, not ideal for jigging.

Ya, I was surprised as well. It's happened multiple times to me. I've talked to other people who have had the same thing happen. They are great for trolling, not ideal for jigging.
they must get caught sideways for that to happen, and pulled apart with pressure on the line other wise they are strong as you know what.

they must get caught sideways for that to happen, and pulled apart with pressure on the line other wise they are strong as you know what.
I guess. I’m using 12 to 16 ounce swim baits usually. The kind with the hook sticking out the top and what I call a ‘leadhead”.

We’ve always used those back in the day on the commercial freezer troller, never had one fail. But when jigging for bottom fish we would use brass split rings At the bottom of the jig and the hook. Strong enough for bottom fish but if you snag bottom then sometimes you would get your terminal tackle back minus the hook as the brass split ring would pull apart. I buy my brass split rings at PNT.

I just refuse to have those Hawaiian snaps on my boat. Fkn things never open for me when wanted. If you need a tool to use a so-called quick release snap, it's a fail. Duolocks for me.

What would you say is a softer hook? Thanks
The stock treble hook on the old classic style of cod jig is quite soft, this is why some of the guys are recommending much higher pound test lines because if you hook bottom, you just wrap the line around a cleat and knock the motor in gear and it will straighten out the hook and you get your jig back.

The stock treble hook on the old classic style of cod jig is quite soft, this is why some of the guys are recommending much higher pound test lines because if you hook bottom, you just wrap the line around a cleat and knock the motor in gear and it will straighten out the hook and you get your jig back.
Well that’s an idea, now how to jury rig a soft black steel treble hook on top of a swim tail lure. And remove the strong stainless one. For my guests, especially…

Back