Chest Waders.

tinboatrobb

I am going to buy chest waders in January and I am looking for thoughts on a couple different things. Boot foor or stocking foot. Neoprene or not. Will be fishing saltwater and rivers on Vancouver Island. Also may want to use them while launching and fishing from the 14 ft Lund. Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Thank you

I couldn’t bring myself to wear waders with boots built onto them but if you buy stocking foot waders make sure the boots you buy don’t have steel on them for the laces or water drains or salt water will kill them

I think if you plan on spending all day in them walking the rivers the stocking foot with separate boots are the way to go , definitely more comfortable to wear and walk in , but for launching and short walks the boot foot are fine , way cheaper too , no experience with neoprene but they look to be a hassle getting on and off

Neoprenes are great for sub-zero weather and they are cheaper.If you plan on wearing them during summer and spring, then go for breathables. I fish all winter in my waders . On cold or snowy days, wear some sweat pants inside them.

thank for the replies. I think the breathable one with warm pants underneath and get good boots will be the way I go.

I only fish rivers a few days a year, although I wish it was more. I've had good service so far with a set of neoprene chest waders, boot foot. The buy-in is a third to a half of what you'll pay going the stocking foot and wading boots route. I do see the greater comfort of the stocking feet, but for me it's not enough to justify dropping a K on Simms waders and boots.

One thing I did to upgrade the boot foot waders was a set of Korkers strap-on cleats. Those make an impressive difference on slippery rocks. They've stayed in place all day once properly adjusted.

I also use the neoprene waders for cool weather boat fishing in the interior. Life saver when retrieving boat onto roller trailer in low water temps.

I love my Simms G3’s

Simms also sell entry level ones
Ive heard good things about redington waders too.

Yes they can be price, but my g3’s have held up to lots of abuse and repair easy with aquaseal. My old seatux neoprenes are bullet proof too but really hot and sweaty and will never go back unless its well in the negatives. They also have a hole in the toe that seems impossible to repair.

Im a firm believer in stocking foot waders and a decent boot. Those built in boots seem like a broken ankle waiting to happen. Getting a good boot and check the quality of the sole that will help you grip the bottom

I also river fish 20+ days a year so take that into account.
Just my 2 cents

Back