Checking impeller

Tips Up

So, maybe I just go into a shop with my guard up but it is better than going in with my pants down...

When a shop tells you your impeller needs to be replaced and it is 1- 1 1/2 hour job, how do they know this without already having the leg off to inspect?
If they are that far in should they not be able to tell how long the job will be? They already have the leg off which is the part of the job that could take more time if there were corrosion issues with the bolts.

Thanks
Tips

I think they just assume you need an impeller if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years.
Granted,it's preventative maintenance but probably overworked.

I was told 5 years or 500 hours unless you run it with rabbit ears. That was for a 250 yamaha

I change the leg oil, engine oil and plugs myself regularly so it has not seen a shop in a while.

I gave the go ahead as I realize it is a maintenance item and should be done now and then.
It definitely has not been done in 5 years.

Just asking to learn as I go. Maybe this is another maintenance thing I should learn to do myself.
I'm not very mechanical but learning.

Thanks!
Tips

It really is not overly difficult to do yourself. A manual will help, you can also watch on Utube.

Trickiest part is just getting impeller vanes in the correct way as well as lining up the drive shaft splines with power head. Once you've done it a few times, if you keep lower unit bolts properly lubed it can be a job done in way under an hour. I can do mine on my outboards in 30 minutes. Anothertip is to have a second person around as bigger lower units are heavy!

Changing the impeller is not complicated, however as mentioned before
if the leg has not been off in a number of years the bolts can be frozen and hard to get out.
I had one motor where the steel drive shaft was frozen in the power head.
That was a ***** to get out.

sawz all Scott?? yikes! All the points above , youtube it . Get the kit with fresh gaskets and seat. The surfaces need to be clean and flat or you will end up with leaks. I use a shot of spray silicone to get the impeller into the housing. Make sure to note the rotation of the impeller when you remove the old one , I do mine every 200 hours. good luck

Getting impeller replaced at shop. Then I know the bolts have been in and out and leg has been off recently.

I'll give SpringVelocity a call next year and he can give me a hand doing it myself. Thanks for the offer Jerid;)

Getting impeller replaced at shop. Then I know the bolts have been in and out and leg has been off recently.

I'll give SpringVelocity a call next year and he can give me a hand doing it myself. Thanks for the offer Jerid;)

Sure you know what I do for a living. Just buy beer!

For the water pump system. I would like to replace the impeller every 100 hours same with the gear oil change , gasket, o-ring, Engine oil changed and testing for the gear pressured at 15-20 psi.

any estimates on how much the lower unit weighs on a Yamaha 250 4 stroke? Can 1 person do the impeller change?

The lower unit itself is totally manageable by yourself if you just take your time. You'll be happier tho if someone helps as it isn't so much the weight rather lining up the drive shaft and water pickup tube.

Last edited:
manageable with one , better with two. A few tricks to learn , . getting gear direction is the most important when reinstalling. A few youtube videos . this guys knows what he is doing.

Back