It's a conspiracy

chille51

I am convinced Blue Sea is in cahoots with Vertex and whoever makes stainless screws. I have been cleaning up the wiring on the boat I bought a few months ago this weekend, and have lost count of how many times I've been down to the Harbour Chandler for connectors, butt splices, and stainless screws. Whatever size the post is I am trying to connect to, you can be sure that's the only connector I don't have. And nooooo a #10 1/2" screw just won't do... you need a #8 1/2" screw. I'm swimming in little brown paper bags with bin numbers written on 'em over here. I need a better system... lol.

I suppose there is a reason (most likely safety related) they can't narrow down the connectors to a smaller number of options, but man does it slow down progress to get 1/3" way through a job and then realize you don't have the bits to finish it.

AS an ex electrician, I know what you mean. Telling a #8 screw from a #10 is a slight difference.
Try not to use butt splices, unless an emergency. They might eventually corrode or separate. So using a new wire is best. Shrink tube over top of the butt splice is a lot better than butt splice alone.

I have two large parts cases, one for stainless screws and bolts, one for electrical connectors. I stocked it up during my re-wiring project a few years back, and had the same experience as the OP. Ended up stocking items I never knew about before the project began, and ditched stuff I realized I'd never use.

My best find was a local automotive electrical repair/supplier, sadly now closed. Got lots of good advice, and bought parts in bulk - less money and less packaging. And without the unnecessary red/blue/yellow sleeves (shrink tubing is better).

Oh man...I feel this post. I've been dong the same thing, little brown bags all over my garage. It's amazing how a tiny little bag of stainless hardware turns into 47$ at the till. Harbour Chandler is the best though, great advice and generous return policies. Couldn't ask for a better store.

AS an ex electrician, I know what you mean. Telling a #8 screw from a #10 is a slight difference.
Try not to use butt splices, unless an emergency. They might eventually corrode or separate. So using a new wire is best. Shrink tube over top of the butt splice is a lot better than butt splice alone.
Oh yeah... it was some dodgy looking butt splices in the existing wiring in the bilge that made me decide that a more comprehensive look at the electrical couldn't wait until the winter. So here I am, heat shrinking connectors with a heat gun in the middle of a heat wave. I do try and avoid splicing if it all possible, but sometimes there is no avoiding it. In those cases, yes heat the connector itself to close it up, then heat shrink over that. Two layers if anywhere likely to get sprayed.

Back