centerpin casting

I'm new to centerpin fishing, but I treated myself and bought a used Sage 3113mb. Absolutely no complaints, so far the rod has been great for coho, chums and is now seeking out its first meeting with steel. My casting accuracy/distance is a work is progress but thus far I certainly like the 11'3" length and couldn't imagine fishing with anything shorter.

For those with experience in fishing many different rods, where is the ideal place for the reel seat to be located? Is it all dependent on the rod/reel combo, personal preference, balance etc?

For those with experience in fishing many different rods, where is the ideal place for the reel seat to be located? Is it all dependent on the rod/reel combo, personal preference, balance etc?

Balance is where it is at IMHO, which of course is directly effected by the choice of both rod and reel. The Islander Steelheader is a somewhat hefty reel, so requires it to be mounted a bit more forward than a lighter reel. What I look for is the set-up to pivot (balance) exactly at the point where my hand sits just forward of the reel on the handle. This allows for comfortable and accurate casting. When out of balance, your arm gets damn tired very quickly, and casting becomes a bit of a chore.

Here's a pix showing how far forward my Islander is set up on the Custom Rogue:

3_Feet_Of_Muscle.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Some guys seem to like a real short but section on their pin rod. I like mine to be a little longer. Nogs looks like its set up the same way that i prefer but i also fish and islander so maybe it balances out better with the longer but. If u have a sliding reel seat then u can try different lengths until you find what works.

I'm new to centerpin fishing, but I treated myself and bought a used Sage 3113mb. Absolutely no complaints, so far the rod has been great for coho, chums and is now seeking out its first meeting with steel. My casting accuracy/distance is a work is progress but thus far I certainly like the 11'3" length and couldn't imagine fishing with anything shorter.

Hambone, I have been pinning with the TFO 3113 and the butt section isnt as long as nogs. I found that I prefer the shorter butt mainly because when I cast the short or wallis, backhanded, the shorter butt doesnt make me reach to far out to get around my jacket. Perhaps if I had longer arms (or smaller gut) the longer butt section would be more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had no idea that my reel position was why my arm was sore at the end of i long day on the river.I just assumed that was the downside of centerpinning... i have a ross flow on a 10'6 trophy xl probably not that heavy in comparison to some other setups you guys have?

Hmmm.... I also have a shorter butt section on my rod. I just checked and I guess my set up is slightly out of balance, wanting to lean towards the rod tip. I only have experience with this feel, so at the moment I don't know any better. I'll bet casting accuracy must be vastly improved with a balanced rod. I kind of like having the butt lie up against my wrist though for a hook sets :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... I also have a shorter butt section on my rod. I just checked and I guess my set up is slightly out of balance, wanting to lean towards the rod tip. I only have experience with this feel, so at the moment I don't know any better. I'll bet casting accuracy must be vastly improved with a balanced rod. I kind of like having the butt lie up against my wrist though for a hook sets :confused:

Stop in with your combo, I will let you try your reel on a RAVEN pin rod out front on the grass. If you let me know what day you are coming in, I can have my set up there so you can try them too. That way you can get a good feel. You should not get tired out from a day of fishing. Old School is with a short butt and a Silex...a good combo, and miss mine. Check 'em out, that is an open ended invite for when ever you are ready. Goes for anyone who is interested...just let me know a head of time.

DHA.

I found that I prefer the shorter butt mainly because when I cast the short or wallis, backhanded, the shorter butt doesnt make me reach to far out to get around my jacket. Perhaps if I had longer arms (or smaller gut) the longer butt section would be more comfortable.

LOL! Guess having long arms and no belly to speak of are acutely benefits! :D

I almost never use the Wallis cast. Not that I can't but I prefer the backhanded BowShot for close quarters work.

I kind of like having the butt lie up against my wrist though for a hook sets :confused:

Once you get used to the butt section laying pretty well all the way to your elbow, you'll be amazed at just how savage a hook-set you can deliver!

The longer butt also allows several different casting options. I quite often use that to my advantage, slugging it out there swift and hard with a cast more reminiscent of a spey rod cast (which my rod can and does double as from time to time).

Each to their own. The important thing is to find the set-up YOU are most comfortable with.

Great Offer BTW Rob! Cool to see someone offering that! Wish I had the opportunity of a little edumucation when I was starting out! Took more than a few days of hiding from The Ladz (saving serious embarrassment!) to get the swing of using a pin! No looking back now! Anyone interested should likely take him up on this offer! Doesn't get a whole lot better! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

The backing acts like a cushion for the spool.

Running full mono on the reel will allow the mono to "compress" and crack or bend the spool.

I guess some guys use a pin as a reel on their spey rods - almost the same thing, really.

Back