Cell Phone Plans

AlK

We are looking at a number cell phone providers to possible switch from our current one. The reason being they jacked up our rates from $25.00 to $30.00. We are looking for a very basic plan unlimited messaging and calling both Canada wide, no data.
One of the providers that we are considering is Virgin Mobile, but there is not a lot information or reviews that I can find on the internet. Any one have any experience good or bad with this outfit or have any other suggestions.

If you own your devices, try Koodo. We switched from Telus recently. They’re the cheaper version of Telus, same towers. $45 for unlimited call/text, 6 GB data. Easy to do. Very happy.

I pay too much. Stay way from bell.
Our previous bill $280 with Telus, 3 phones on a family plan, unlimited call&text nationwide, sharing 5GB!. Now we have 6GB each, unlimited call/text nationwide, and we'll pay a little over $150/month. You can activate online as well, saves $45 connection fee each line. And get the refer a friend as well. Saves both parties $50 each. A little research and patience, will pay for a couple fishing trips this year.

Virgin is a subsidiary of Bell so reception should be the same. I have Bell with data for one line and a no frills Virgin plan for another line. Can't tell any difference.

We have been with Koodo for many years. Initially we paid $20 per phone. Then every time we upgraded to a new phone the rate went up. The last couple of years it was $25 but now it has jumped to $30. One of the issues is when changing providers some want an activation fee and you need a new sim card. Virigin is willing to waive the activation fee and the sim card cost and give us what we need for $25. My concern is how are to deal with if a problem arises. As I said in my initial post I have not really seen much in terms of reviews on the net.

I am aware of Public Mobile but if you have a problem there is no human that you can talk with. Everything is handled by the Community Chat. I agree there rates are good.

Virgin has the highest rated customer service from what ive seen. wife just recently signed up with virgin and found that they say they waive the fees, but really they charge you the fees initially then in about 2 months they credit your subsequent bills the value of the fees. so in a round about way you dont pay the fees, but expect a large initial bill.

Freedom Mobile is hot hot garbage. my mom signed up and she doesn’t get incoming calls from land lines. the call center is in India and she’s been on hold for hours and hours at a time only to be cut off for no reason. one of their suggestion was to manually add everyone you know into your contacts so she can receive incoming calls.....

We have been with Koodo for many years. Initially we paid $20 per phone. Then every time we upgraded to a new phone the rate went up. The last couple of years it was $25 but now it has jumped to $30. One of the issues is when changing providers some want an activation fee and you need a new sim card. Virigin is willing to waive the activation fee and the sim card cost and give us what we need for $25. My concern is how are to deal with if a problem arises. As I said in my initial post I have not really seen much in terms of reviews on the net.
If you are content with your current phone and are not always wanting the latest phone, these plans are the way to go. I agree 100%.
With Koodo, there is no activation fee/cost for SIM card if you do it yourself. Mind you do end up paying around $10 as your cell plan starts the day you sign up and you don't actually get your SIM card till a week later.
The reason for some of these cheaper providers is because there is no brick & motor store, or the customer service is sub par at best. Plain & simple. If you want customer service, probably best to stick to the big guys. Or else get your kids to fix it for you.

If you are content with your current phone and are not always wanting the latest phone, these plans are the way to go. I agree 100%.
With Koodo, there is no activation fee/cost for SIM card if you do it yourself. Mind you do end up paying around $10 as your cell plan starts the day you sign up and you don't actually get your SIM card till a week later.
The reason for some of these cheaper providers is because there is no brick & motor store, or the customer service is sub par at best. Plain & simple. If you want customer service, probably best to stick to the big guys. Or else get your kids to fix it for you.
My experience with the big guys has been very poor customer service. they seem like they are all in cahoots and dont give a **** about you. The little guys have to fight a little bit harder for your business, so i have had better service from them. this seems to be confirmed by customer satisfaction ratings you can find online. as for a new device, the little guys will finance the device exactly the same as the big guys so no difference there.

X2 for Public Mobile. My plan includes 2.5 gb of data for $41 a month. Only works if you already have a phone though.

Freedom Mobile is hot hot garbage. my mom signed up and she doesn’t get incoming calls from land lines. the call center is in India and she’s been on hold for hours and hours at a time only to be cut off for no reason. one of their suggestion was to manually add everyone you know into your contacts so she can receive incoming calls.....
My wife and son are on pre-paid BYOP plans with Freedom. Wife for 14months, son 2months. Picked up deals at Christmas (note this is the best time of year to get a deal on cell phone plans) $24/month for 4GB + unlimited calling. Compared Bell, Telus, Rogers, Koodo, Virgin, and Public. Freedom was best deal at the time. So far both have been happy with the service. I don't know what the issue with incoming calls from land lines would be, but seems to work for them. Uses Bell network, so same coverage. Only had to call support once and I don't recall being put on hold for long, and the issue was dealt with.

Previously, my son was on Koodo prepaid, and I'd say the issues were no customer support at all, and their website to log in and pay for pre-paid plans was unbearably slow, almost unusable every time. My wife had been on a Rogers two year contract, and at the end they refused to offer any kind of deal to retain her as a customer, just were going to continue charging the same monthly amount, so left. Then a couple months after she had gone to Freedom, Rogers calls to ask why she left, and what it would take to get her back :mad:, but they couldn't offer anything close to the Freedom deal.

Last edited:
My wife and son are on pre-paid BYOP plans with Freedom. Picked up a deal at Christmas (note this is the best time of year to get a deal on cell phone plans) $24/month for 4GB + unlimited calling. Compared Bell, Telus, Rogers, Koodo, Virgin, and Public. Freedom was best deal at the time. So far both have been happy with the service. I don't know what the issue with incoming calls from land lines would be, but seems to work for them. Uses Bell network, so same coverage. Only had to call support once and I don't recall being put on hold for long, and the issue was dealt with. Previously, my son was on Koodo prepaid, and I'd say the issues were no customer support at all, and their website to log in and pay for pre-paid plans was unbearably slow, almost unusable every time.
Really....huh. it’s honestly been a disaster. She’s in her late 70’s and i’m no better trying to figure things out. what got me was call center. they would” transfer her “ to someone else to try and fix the problem but the transfer just ended the call. that alone is enough for me

We switched from Telus to Koodo to save a few buck/month.
The reason why it was important to us to stay on the 'Telus cell network' (which Koodo is piggybacked on) is that Telus uses the old BC Tel network locations on many of their mountain top sites, which means they have the best coverage coast-wide from Victoria to Pr. Rupert.
Might be a consideration for those that leave the Salish Sea...

Our previous bill $280 with Telus, 3 phones on a family plan, unlimited call&text nationwide, sharing 5GB!. Now we have 6GB each, unlimited call/text nationwide, and we'll pay a little over $150/month. You can activate online as well, saves $45 connection fee each line. And get the refer a friend as well. Saves both parties $50 each. A little research and patience, will pay for a couple fishing trips this year.

I pay Bell that for two phones. Its on business plan though.

I have Shaw for my internet cable and landline, this qualifies me for their $0 per month unlimited calling and texting for me and my wife. We are on the 1 gig pay as you go plan for $10/ gig. I use about 1/3 of a gig per month.

Back