Carpet removal, help???

Merrittboy

Taking the carpet which gets very dirty, stinks, out of the back area of my boat. There is a glued down rubber backing underneath, how do I get this off without damaging fibreglass? Also what should i put over the fibreglass as a paint coat. I want to put a rubber floor from Home Depot on after( it wont be glued on just something I want to be able to take in and out.) Any ideas? I know there is a great deal of knowledge on this board.

Not sure of a particular product, but check with a flooring store for a solvent, and test a small area first. The fibreglass gel coat is pretty tough.
But the hard part is maintaining the 'rough' anti-slip pebble finish on the floor. You would have to get the glues out from depressions.
Or, if you are recovering the area with a rubber mat, get out what you can and lay the rubber over. Out of sight, out of mind.

I am a 7 year exp floor layer, and i think the only advice would be to try solvent, Its probably a good idea to try a test area, but i dont see it having an effect on the fiberglass. Good Luck!

-Steve

I grinded mine of when I took out the carpet on my boat and then re gel coated it as I tried many things to get it off but I wanted to do it quick and fast...

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I've been installing floors for over 20+ years, for glued down rubber back carpeting, there is really no easy way.. your best bet is to scrap or sand it off. For a rubber floor in your boat, here's a picture of what I did in my boat. I ordered the tile from where I work, http://www.islandfloors.com/ the tiles came from http://www.northwestrubber.com/tiles.html
There heavy duty commercial Vinyl(PVC) (1/4" hole) composite modular tiles.. there not cheap, the colored tiles are 3x the price of the black tiles, but well worth the investment, you will have this floor for a very long time.. Much better quality tiles than Home Depot or any where else.
http://www.northwestrubber.com/tiles.html
IMG_6156Large.jpg

Wow, Rock you make enough money outa Island to run a boat like that? Thats impressive! I work for Graphic office and Jordans. Its just starting to get busy for the summer. Less time for fishing.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Wow, Rock you make enough money outa Island to run a boat like that? Thats impressive! I work for Graphic office and Jordans. Its just starting to get busy for the summer. Less time for fishing.

-Steve

I own the boat with Yammy5 here on the forum. It sure helps when you can split all the expenses in half..

Awsome, That is nice aslong as all the expenses are split especially when somthing breaks! You probably know my dad well if you have been around 20 years, my dad is Tony Crevatin. I work for him. We are looking for a labourer with some experience if you know anyone let me know! Thanks

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Awsome, That is nice aslong as all the expenses are split especially when somthing breaks! You probably know my dad well if you have been around 20 years, my dad is Tony Crevatin. I work for him. We are looking for a labourer with some experience if you know anyone let me know! Thanks

-Steve

Small world, I know who you are now. I know your dad very well. Your grandfather Roy, used to be partners with my dad (Joe) for a very long time. Your grandfather used to take me out fishing on his boat when I was a kid. I'm sure you know who I am now :) Say hi to your dad for me.

If ya get bored one day come say Hi..... Work in the flooring warehouse across the street

Be wary about carpet tunnel I hear it is common around this stuff.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back