Canucks 2021 Season

Great question, will more losses improve the draft position by racing to the bottom.

Perhaps, they like Bruce more than the team?

Who knows maybe some perverse way to punish the Aquilini family.
Another argument, though, is that if they do change coaches and they go on a bit of a winning streak, they’re only going to hurt their draft chances.

So it’s quite interesting to watch the rabid Vancouver Canucks fans react in wanting to keep a coach who clearly is not working out for this team anymore. They are losing games at home at a perplexing pace, yet the fans are screaming for the coach to stay. I know management could do a much better job of letting Bruce go, and the optics are terrible in that regard, but does this fan reaction in wanting to keep a losing coach help explain why in over 50 years, mediocrity is an acceptable dish to be served up for Vancouver hockey fans?

There have been many coaches that have come in here on an interim basis and improved the teams play right away for a short period of time. But then they figure out that he’s not the long term answer. Why do the fans want to keep Bruce?
At this point, the Canucks are the new Cubs; lovable losers of the Pacific Northwest. It’s beyond ridiculous how much drama, BS and noise is surrounding this team right now.

Bruce is one of the winningest coaches in the game , and the way that this management and ownership is treating is absolutely disgusting.

He managed to take this same, trash roster and put together a respectable 30-15 record in the back half of the season. The only real difference is Demko, who they played so much they blew his groin out.

You could convince Scotty Bowman and resurrect Jack Adams from the dead to be the assistant coach; and this team will still lose.
the roster and it’s entire make up is a hot dumpster fire filled with tires.

As i write this i just finished watching the Habs beat the mighty Leafs. They are decimated with injuries, they played with heart, skated, blocked shots.

I honestly don’t even want to watch this team anymore. I’m so sick of this BS

Until the team has new ownership, the revolving door of coaches and gms will continue. The aquilinies have made their money on this team and they could give 2 ***** if they lose every year, they've proved that. Year after year of poor drafting, terrible contracts etc has taken its toll. The entire defence on the canucks is terrible, Hughes is good but nowhere near as good as he was made out to be when he first started with the nucks. Schenn has the most heart but isnt a top d man. Their defence has been so poor for years yet their goaltenders have stood on their heads and given the team a chance. Now finally the goaltending is average at best and you see the d for what it is and has been for years. You gotta feel for Bruce, just another scapegoat for terrible ownership and management. What a disgrace from ownership down to treat a veteran coach like Bruce that way, he can only do so much with the players he's given. If I did spend any money going to games, buying fan gear etc, I sure wouldn't now.

Last edited:
Until the team has new ownership, the revolving door of coaches and gms will continue. The aquilinies have made their money on this team and they could give 2 ***** if they lose every year, they've proved that. Year after year of poor drafting, terrible contracts etc has taken its toll. The entire defence on the canucks is terrible, Hughes is good but nowhere near as good as he was made out to be when he first started with the nucks. Schenn has the most heart but isnt a top d man. Their defence has been so poor for years yet their goaltenders have stood on their heads and given the team a chance. Now finally the goaltending is average at best and you see the d for what it is and has been for years. You gotta feel for Bruce, just another scapegoat for terrible ownership and management. What a disgrace from ownership down to treat a veteran coach like Bruce that way, he can only do so much with the players he's given. If I did spend any money going to games, buying fan gear etc, I sure wouldn't now.
100%

Blow and reload let’s tank
And trade for picks and players and prospects it’ll take years but now the wheels have fallen off and will not be bolted back on.

The owners seem to have a fear of the terms 'rebuild' and 'teardown'. They seem to think it will cause people to boycott the team or something. Why put a new coach in now, when teams seem to get a bounce when coaching is changed? Canucks don't need to win now. As has been noted earlier in this thread, who will want to come to this franchise now, based on how people are treated. And then there is Rick Tocchet, a felon in a US betting scam. Dumpster fire indeed.

Our best hope is that aquilini’s can stop messing around and let hockey guys run the team. I’d bet they are coming around to that idea. But franky really needs to let it go and let people do the work with a blank cheque or else it will cost him more in the long run. How many coaches are they paying right now lol

Sorry, not a blank cheque. We should still tank this season. Get a solid draft pick. Coaching change was unnecessary right now in my opinion

Let’s face it at the end of the day BB was not getting it done as JR, Alvin and his chipmunks had to do throw someone under the bus. Disgusting the way it was handled I am sure as these buffoons had to know exactly what they were doing but really on the surface didn‘t care as in their opinion good guys finish last. JR did suggest speculation and admitted he should have kept his mouth shut. The cesspool Vancouver media as predicted runs with it, exploits the negatives which in turn brings out all these other parasites. The fans are rightfully angry has we have been embarrassed . The brand has been regrettably tarnished so FA needs to take full ownership of the situation as well or plain just get out of the business. It’s about time anyway. So is the start to preparing everyone for more pain on other upcoming decisions and is this what true losers look like?
As for Tocchet I will hold judgement but as for me I am ready for a full tank for Bedard. Never thought I would say that. It begins.

Last edited:
Man I hope we don’t go on a six game win streak after this coaching change. Stick to the plan. Lose a lot. Sell Bo for top dollar. Get prospects, draft picks, and a top 3 pick in the lottery. Currently a 7.5% chance at getting bedard. Let’s improve on that haha

Attachments

• 6B60FE29-4903-4BB7-A146-4A6660FA4BC0.jpeg
    6B60FE29-4903-4BB7-A146-4A6660FA4BC0.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 19
Man I hope we don’t go on a six game win streak after this coaching change. Stick to the plan. Lose a lot. Sell Bo for top dollar. Get prospects, draft picks, and a top 3 pick in the lottery. Currently a 7.5% chance at getting bedard. Let’s improve on that haha
the risk of a new coach is an uptick in wins. And I fully agree BB had to go, I do not understand all the emotion about keeping a coach with a losing record and having 2-3 goal leads and consistently losing those games. What were they hanging onto?

the risk of a new coach is an uptick in wins. And I fully agree BB had to go, I do not understand all the emotion about keeping a coach with a losing record and having 2-3 goal leads and consistently losing those games. What were they hanging onto?
BB had a winning record with the Canucks during his tenure. 50-40 including last year.

The handling of BB got international attention. News outlets in Sweden were writing about this.
Which one of us, knowing we were getting fired on Monday still come to work and give 100%
That is what they asked him to do. ridiculous.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. This roster is just not good enough to consistently win at this level. period. end of story.

Canucks defense is more porous than swiss cheese. If you look at advanced metrics, they are actually better off with out Myers and OEL on the ice. they pay those two players north of 13 mil per year…..

the forwards won’t back check or block shots. there is zero intensity or grit. too many soft players. as long as this roster stays intact they will continue to lose. they might get a slight coach bump, they’ll miss the playoffs, and destroy their chances at a generational player in Connor Bedard in the process.

BB had a winning record with the Canucks during his tenure. 50-40 including last year.

The handling of BB got international attention. News outlets in Sweden were writing about this.
Which one of us, knowing we were getting fired on Monday still come to work and give 100%
That is what they asked him to do. ridiculous.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. This roster is just not good enough to consistently win at this level. period. end of story.

Canucks defense is more porous than swiss cheese. If you look at advanced metrics, they are actually better off with out Myers and OEL on the ice. they pay those two players north of 13 mil per year…..

the forwards won’t back check or block shots. there is zero intensity or grit. too many soft players. as long as this roster stays intact they will continue to lose. they might get a slight coach bump, they’ll miss the playoffs, and destroy their chances at a generational player in Connor Bedard in the process.

A .555 win percentage is reason to keep someone? He did not make the playoffs last year, his (losing) record was terrible this year, started off with all those losses, had a small win streak, only won 2 games this year and repeatedly lost games they had multiple goal leads in. That is on the coach.

Defense is porous? Isn't the coaching staff supposed to work on that?

Bruce was not the answer, he was a fill in coach, lets see how they do now and if Bruce gets another coaching job.

Half a century of mediocrity and the fans are starting a petition to bring Bruce back, oh and also to get rid of the owners. Reality check time.

A .555 win percentage is reason to keep someone? He did not make the playoffs last year, his (losing) record was terrible this year, started off with all those losses, had a small win streak, only won 2 games this year and repeatedly lost games they had multiple goal leads in. That is on the coach.

And they are bringing in a coach with a career record of 178-200-60. ;)

You guys see the Harold Ballard doco that local guy Jason Priestly did, on CBC last night? Ring any bells? Remind anyone of the Canucks much?

Back