Canucks 2021 Season

We got a very good taste of what to expect the other night in Calgary. Smallish forwards and defence that plays to their abilities but get steamrolled when they face a Sutter type system. 3 games in 4 nights with travel and a lack of team speed was very evident.
Hogs needs a little seasoning so I don't want to give up on him. Same with Garland as a small guy. Two smalls in the top 9 with speed and no more. The GM surely already knows he needs to beef up the line up with toughness and above average skaters so changes need to be made. Who knows, thanks to JB but Myers, Boeser, Highmore, Wilkinson and getting Sutter hopefully back would be a good start. Rathbone on the up and up plus Hughes are both lefties so possibly Rathbone is the odd man out. Very Risky but a strong asset to be moved for a physical RD.
Will be an interesting off season.

I don’t dislike Hoglander , I just don’t see where he fits , Canucks are too small as it is , im sure they aren’t just going to dump him , but maybe part of a trade package or maybe trade Garland and keep him , he’s just not ready for prime time yet

Very disappointed I must say. Line up at the Toronto Humber Bay Bridge last night. Would really look forward to a Calgary/ Edmonton series. Last man standing.

As we have been watching some playoff games, it struck me how many former Canucks are on these playoff teams and playing extremely well. We jokingly refer to Calgary as the Calgary Canucks. One wonders who will be the better Goalie in the long term, Demko or Markstrom. Demko has been great, at least up to the point they overplayed him, and he got fatigued and possibly injured. Will he be as robust as Markstrom in the long term, especially if they overplay him?

It seems obviously they allow a much harder hitting game in the playoffs and if the Canucks are going to keep the extremely skilled and highly entertaining smaller players like Hughes, Pettersson and Garland, and I hope they do, they are going to need some large, younger, faster defencemen who love to hit and fight. When Hughes was heavily pasted to the boards, it was Schenn who went over and sent a message by winning a fight against the offender. That is not something we see much from OEL or Myers. The team is paying good money for both, but they are arguably past their prime and never were the kind of intimidating players necessary to protect the Canucks smaller skilled players.

As for Miller and Horvat, I like them both and think we should keep both for now. But if I could only keep one for the long term, it would be Horvat. Hovat has size and is incredibly robust in that he almost never gets hurt, and you can count on him to play day in and day out. They both contribute to the team and scoring about the same. Horvat was a beast the last time they made the playoffs, carried the team and really stepped up his game. Most importantly, he is a little younger and can be expected to play at a higher level longer than Miller. He also does not let his emotions get the best of him, with the resulting mistakes that Miller occasionally makes.

Last edited:
As we have been watching some playoff games, it struck me how many former Canucks are on these playoff teams and playing extremely well. We jokingly refer to Calgary as the Calgary Canucks. One wonders who will be the better Goalie in the long term, Demko or Markstrom. Demko has been great, at least up to the point they overplayed him, and he got fatigued and possibly injured. Will he be as robust as Markstrom in the long term, especially if they overplay him?

It seems obviously they allow a much harder hitting game in the playoffs and if the Canucks are going to keep the extremely skilled and highly entertaining smaller players like Hughes, Pettersson and Garland, and I hope they do, they are going to need some large, younger, faster defencemen who love to hit and fight. When Hughes was heavily pasted to the boards, it was Schenn who went over and sent a message by winning a fight against the offender. That is not something we see much from OEL or Myers. The team is paying good money for both, but they are arguably past their prime and never were the kind of intimidating players necessary to protect the Canucks smaller skilled players.

As for Miller and Horvat, I like them both and think we should keep both for now. But if I could only keep one for the long term, it would be Horvat. Hovat has size and is incredibly robust in that he almost never gets hurt, and you can count on him to play day in and day out. They both contribute to the team and scoring about the same. Horvat was a beast the last time they made the playoffs, carried the team and really stepped up his game. Most importantly, he is a little younger and can be expected to play at a higher level longer than Miller. He also does not let his emotions get the best of him, with the resulting mistakes that Miller occasionally makes.
I agree. it shows how far the Canucks have to go , they kept the better asset in Demko , but to get nothing for Markstrom was a crime and to make a good trade and get Toffoli and then not resign him in time another crime , that kind of asset management sets the Canucks back ( as I type this Toffoli scores , lol )

Nothing against Schenn , but when he’s on your top pairing , you have a way to go to be competitive, that’s my problem with Meyers , no backbone

watched first 2 games this year canucks where ahead 2 nothing in early going but managed to lose both games definetley need more practice:(:(:(:(

Team to date is so so slow and again the Canucks system struggles along the boards with too many vanilla type players.
Benning left the team with a huge hole on defence and little room with the cap. New management team surely knows this but needed to make all the tough decisions in the off season. By the way where has our our captain disappeared too? Miller on for all 8 goals?

aye men brother . got steam rolled again😓😓😓 They seem to have pretty good offense but lack effective defense........ C.A.
Team to date is so so slow and again the Canucks system struggles along the boards with too many vanilla type players.
Benning left the team with a huge hole on defence and little room with the cap. New management team surely knows this but needed to make all the tough decisions in the off season. By the way where has our our captain disappeared too? Miller on for all 8 goals?

What did management expect?

This management group was brought in to upgrade the team. Instead they are rewarding the players with big contracts without much change in team personnel. The sign of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly

Tank time! Need some new talent to help with playing the full hockey game and not just the first 2 periods. #Sh*tTheBed-ard

What did management expect?

This management group was brought in to upgrade the team. Instead they are rewarding the players with big contracts without much change in team personnel. The sign of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly
Agree totally. For all the spin on the new management team so far in the end they didn't get it done when they needed to. As mentioned same old same old . BB6 fly by last night on the 5th goal was simply unacceptable as a pro. Hogs and Burroughs played to their capabilities, the rest in the 3rd no.

Laugh if you will but I think they're really missing Meyers back on defense. Dermott wouldn't hurt either.
Yes, Myers minutes are missed and Dermott plays both sides so he's a keeper. Poolman is a gamble. Canucks defence is not big but not small not fast but not slow so they are simply mediocre . Last night Washington like every other team knows to steamroll the defence face first to the end boards with no option for an outlet pass. Key on Hughes and OEL and you win the puck battles. Last year defensive coach Brad Shaw righted the ship but headed off to greener pastures in Phily.

Last edited:
Forwards not getting back fast enough to pick up the trail guy on the fast 3 on 2's in our zone. Third trailing guy on the other team enters the zone and no one there to pick him up and they score. Almost looks like they don't know how to handle such scenarios! We'll see if that's corrected today. They also stop hitting (as a team) in the 2nd or 3rd periods.

Back