Canning

When canning fish do I have to use a pressure cooker or can I use a regular canning pot.Friends can there veggies in a simple pot why pressure cooker?

You can typically can more at once and it cuts the time in half. 90 minutes at 10psi for doing fish/meat where as a traditionally canner is closer to 3 hours I believe.

You need a pressure cooker for safety when canning fish. There are nasties that are possibly present in fish and meat that will not be taken out by ordinary canning.
T2

t squared is right you need the higher temperatures created by pressure cooker to get all the bacteria killedin fish and meats

Here's a summary I did up of my own canning experience, learning about it ... 10 batches or so, no botulism yet! ;-)
http://www.fishingportrenfrew.ca/canning.html

Seriously though, you need a high pressure canner for fish or meat, it's different than other preserves. Do some googling about it ... can be deadly if done wrong.

You could do pickled salmon/fish without a pressure cooker.. That's about it when it comes to meats

Definately use a pressure canner for meat or fish..
I do know the Newfies do their moose in a regular canner but there is a risk and you really need to know what you are doing and aslo have horse shoes up your a....s

Not worth the risk IMHO

Keep an eye on garage sales or thrift shops for a pressure cooker ... they can go pretty cheap (may have to replace the rubber gasket or pressure valve, that's about the only moving parts). It is pretty awesome to have home-canned fish ... great for lunches on the go, just grab a can and some crackers, or for making fish burgers. You can experiment with all sorts of flavour additions to mix it up. Definitely a good addition to the fishing food repetoire.

A lot of this advice is bang on, Ive done lots of canning fish and its great to have around to eat. You need to use a pressure canner. I've got two canners, both from the thrift store for 10 and 12 bucks and replaced the seals and they work perfectly.

Last year a buddy gave me some canned tuna he did with hot peppers, man that was good, gotta do the tuna this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 99
Back