Canned salmon

Looking at canning some pinks this year. First time for me and I forgot or was not paying attention when my parents did it. Seems to me they cut the fish into steaks, but everything I see on the Internet suggests using fillets. Any advice from the pros appreciated.

Looking at canning some pinks this year. First time for me and I forgot or was not paying attention when my parents did it. Seems to me they cut the fish into steaks, but everything I see on the Internet suggests using fillets. Any advice from the pros appreciated.
Cut steaks about an inch less than canning jar then cut them up to fill a can.

Everyone has their way, and fish size can change you system too. When we do sockeye (3-6#’s) I cut steaks up to dorasal or so then I fillet the tail and I use the tail fillets for filling gaps in steak cavities or wherever there a spot. It’s personal preference but the bones add a lot of nutritional value and once mixed in you don’t really notice them. We add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vinegar. I have learned that keeping it simple is the most versatile. We try to do 100 cans per year and they always get eaten up.

The trick is to just make sure the jars are full. Leave some head space at top of jar, I leave about a jar ring size space. I add a springle of salt and that is all I add. I cut steak size pieces bones and all. If I do smoke salmon, I only smoke for 2-3 hours then can. Never had anyone not finish eating a can. Have to remember whatever you add to can the flavor will be eternified so too much salt/vinegar or smoke can be too much for some people's taste.

I leave the skin on and bones in. Salt and vinegar. Then when opened I dump it all out into a bowl and remove all the skin and the dark fat which has a taste and look I don’t like. Then I mash it up and present it to my wife. She is used to opening a can of tuna so I mimic that.

My mother told me I needed some backbone in each jar many years ago so I alway have some in there (…she was an old wife at that stage so?)

i just got some jars back from a friend of candied sockeye salmon. no water added, looks really odd, preserved perfectly.

Back