Canned salmon

ChilliSpoons

I’m looking to clean out the deep freeze and can the remainder of lady year’s salmon. Any tips, recipes or advice when it comes to canning?

I’d like to very lightly smoke a little prior to canning.

Does anyone add jalapeños or other ingredients to the jars when canning?

I like to add a garlic clove and a sprig of dill and like othes said pinch of salt and good olive oil. just lil goes along way

Sometimes I will give the salmon a 30 minute light smoke before canning. The canning amplifies the smoke flavor so you don’t need very much. I usually don’t add salt because I will add salt and seasonings when I use the canned salmon in a recipe later.
Do you brine prior to your 30 min smoke? If so, for how long?

I did something similar where I brined overnight, preheated my little chief to get a good smoke going, then placed my fish in the smoker with the lid cracked for 20 mins. It turned out great but I’m thinking a 2-3 hour brine for flavor might be all I need????

I did something similar where I brined overnight, preheated my little chief to get a good smoke going, then placed my fish in the smoker with the lid cracked for 20 mins. It turned out great but I’m thinking a 2-3 hour brine for flavor might be all I need????
Someone on here said they canned candied salmon and said it was incredible. I was going to add a few chunks to each can in my next batch. I'd be worried about overdoing it.

I don’t brine. Just a short smoke and can it.

The wife doesn't like the skins so I took it off the 72 cans I did last summer. Just did another 24 and it all came out amazing. Just Olive oil and salt. Also started this year using cans not jars, also amazing. Probably a little more expensive overall but well worth it in my mind

The wife doesn't like the skins so I took it off the 72 cans I did last summer. Just did another 24 and it all came out amazing. Just Olive oil and salt. Also started this year using cans not jars, also amazing. Probably a little more expensive overall but well worth it in my mind
Why do you like it better, if you don't mind me asking? Just clean-up time?

Why do you like it better, if you don't mind me asking? Just clean-up time?
Well as I have said in other canned salmon threads I always have 1 or 2 cracked jars in the past ,probably my fault but we have been very thorough in our cleaning procedures and the canning process but always seem to have the cracks. After 1 load a couple years ago that had 5 jars broke I had enough. My buddy had an old Burpee canning machine an about 700 cans and lids and he gave it all to me ,I just slip him a few cans filled every year and some prawns. Way less work , no cleaning and the same taste with no cracked cans. Its more fun using the .machine and if you want you can buy pop top lids from Wells can in Burnaby. As I said the cost works out a little higher but with all I have invested in my 4-5 month a year fish camp on the Island its the least of my worries. Well actually I have no worries 👍

All done, 46 cans of lightly smoked canned salmon. I’m surprised how nice the smoke flavor is when it only spent 20 mins in the Big Chief.
The biggest struggle was the tedious job babysitting the propane cooker trying to maintain a steady pressure with cool outside temperatures and a few random gusts of wind.
Only one can that didn’t seal properly but was not a loss as it was promptly consumed.

Attachments

• 9A79B763-D3B8-4582-A51D-B459CF67CBA5.jpeg
    9A79B763-D3B8-4582-A51D-B459CF67CBA5.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 55
All done, 46 cans of lightly smoked canned salmon. I’m surprised how nice the smoke flavor is when it only spent 20 mins in the Big Chief.
The biggest struggle was the tedious job babysitting the propane cooker trying to maintain a steady pressure with cool outside temperatures and a few random gusts of wind.
Only one can that didn’t seal properly but was not a loss as it was promptly consumed.
Don't you use a wobbler thingy? Way better than the weights, just annoying as hell to listen to.

Can you post a link when you have a minute, no rush. I had a quick look but want to make sure I order the right piece
Couldn't find it but this is the one I have.

I have the Presto

Back