Canned Salmon - Best Recipe? (not smoked)

wishiniwasfishin1

Hi guys
I have some salmon that's been in the freezer for about 8 months and I want to process it into canned.
I am trying to avoid smoking and canning so will likely just add some liquid smoke.
I have done with salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil and Aquavit (liquer) in the past.
I will thaw and cut off any fat as well as the skin.
Any other recipes or tips?
Any need to remove any bones?
Also - I am pretty sure no need to brine but just want to check.
Cheers.

Hi guys
I have some salmon that's been in the freezer for about 8 months and I want to process it into canned.
I am trying to avoid smoking and canning so will likely just add some liquid smoke.
I have done with salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil and Aquavit (liquer) in the past.
I will thaw and cut off any fat as well as the skin.
Any other recipes or tips?
Any need to remove any bones?
Also - I am pretty sure no need to brine but just want to check.
Cheers.
We have canned for years and only ever add a touch of salt and oil. Bones will soften during the process.
Fraser sockeye, back in the day we didn't skin either...it would just melt away.
Never really got into flavouring the fish with additives or alternative seasonings.

Just have good clean fish, no need to brine, pack in jars with 1" headspace and process according to directions for your canner...typically 10lbs for 90-110 minutes depending on your altitude where you live...

We have canned for years and only ever add a touch of salt and oil. Bones will soften during the process.
Fraser sockeye, back in the day we didn't skin either...it would just melt away.
Never really got into flavouring the fish with additives or alternative seasonings.

Just have good clean fish, no need to brine, pack in jars with 1" headspace and process according to directions for your canner...typically 10lbs for 90-110 minutes depending on your altitude where you live...
Thanks GB. I will give this a shot. My freezer has some nice fish but I have no room for anything else so really want to process the salmon and keep it on the shelf.
Cheers!
It doesn't sound like you have ever used liquid smoke. I haven't either so just wondering if its legit or not.

Thanks GB. I will give this a shot. My freezer has some nice fish but I have no room for anything else so really want to process the salmon and keep it on the shelf.
Cheers!
It doesn't sound like you have ever used liquid smoke. I haven't either so just wondering if its legit or not.
The smoking really isn't that big a step. I don't run any heat just cold smoke for one hour in 2" thick steaks. Skin, bones and all.

Back