salmon lox or Gravlax recipe?

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
anyone have a salmon lox recipe or experience doing them, I want to do it but i don't want to over salt it and ruin a whole salmon fillet.

There's an art to it. Temps, air flow, have to do it a certain way or bacteria will grow. Honestly the smokehouse in North van does a fantastic job. Think he charges 10 or 15 a lb. Deboned properly and double smoked.

yeah that be like 45 bucks plus another 20 bucks in gas if i have to drive there drop it of and pick it a different day. 60 bucks is a little much for one fillet.

any one out in the langley/maple ridge/tri citys area

Lox has to be cold smoked at no more then 80 ish degrees I think. It's not cooked. It's cured and the smoke with lots of air flow, kinda acts as a dehydrator in a way. I watch my buddies do it all the time, but I don't attempt it. Lots of work

Lox has to be cold smoked at no more then 80 ish degrees I think. It's not cooked. It's cured and the smoke with lots of air flow, kinda acts as a dehydrator in a way. I watch my buddies do it all the time, but I don't attempt it. Lots of work

okay maybe gravlax im thinking of then

okay maybe gravlax im thinking of then
Gravlax is delicious and really easy! 1 to 1 white sugar to salt and lots of crushed pepper. Use two equal size center fillets. Cover in mixture put lots of roughly chopped dill on both sides sprinkle with aquavit and put sides together. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put in dish with bricks or something heavy on top.3 to 5 days in fridge depending on thinkness, flip every 15 hrs or so. Wipe clean and enjoy with Dijon sauce, capers and Aquavit

Last edited:
I wonder if one of thoes kitchen smoke guns would be enough to add a bit of smoke flavor to it

I think the commercial standard for raw fish is minus 30 for 30 days. I could be wrong though

I think the commercial standard for raw fish is minus 30 for 30 days. I could be wrong though

FDA says

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. Note that these conditions may not be suitable for freezing particularly large fish (e.g., thicker than 6 inches).

FDA says

Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites. Note that these conditions may not be suitable for freezing particularly large fish (e.g., thicker than 6 inches).
Sure but gravlax isn’t raw it’s cured

I wonder if one of thoes kitchen smoke guns would be enough to add a bit of smoke flavor to it
No they don't work for **** -the 'stovetop smoker' works better but still isn't true smoked Salmon more like steamed fish with a smoked flavour.

I cure Salmon in 50/50 salt/white sugar combo for 20 hr's or so then stovetop that it's delicious but not the Real Thing-as always Best the next day cold.

IMGP3471_zps00a11fad.jpgIMGP0336.jpg

Yeah not looking to smoke salmon that’s easy enough done in a Smoker.

Looking for the gravlax to have on a cream cheese bagel. I think I am an idea now where to go with it.

anyone have a salmon lox recipe or experience doing them, I want to do it but i don't want to over salt it and ruin a whole salmon fillet.
Mix in a can or bucket

1/3 part demorarra dark brown sugar

2/3 parts fine salt

Lay sides face up and cover with mixture. 16hr soak for big sockeye 14hr for smaller.

Rinse sides in the brine and lay on drying racks for 8-10 hrs.

Cold smoke for 18-48 hours depending on humidity. 18 for weather like today.

Dry again 8-10hrs before sealing.

I had Gravlax sockeye a few years ago and it was fantastic. Thanks for the reminder and drumming up some recipes. I will be trying this with a coho from my next outing.
Can anyone who has made this tell me if I need to freeze and thaw the fish first for food safe or just go at it fresh. The sockeye I had in the past was made from fresh and I am still here.

Back