Canadian west coast nav chart/atlas.

Chuck

Looking for best nav charts or an Atlas to have in the boat. Don't want to buy the wrong info, to be used for cruising and fishing.
Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know the differance of the few choices.I do know that if you upgrade a chip to show more contures lines you loose the ability to see names of places and plotting may become more difficult.maybe two plotters one for running to and from and one for fishing and docking /ancoring.Then if your fishing partner or yourself buggers the fishing sounder/plotter you still have a plotter to get home or continue working .

I don't know the differance of the few choices.I do know that if you upgrade a chip to show more contures lines you loose the ability to see names of places and plotting may become more difficult.maybe two plotters one for running to and from and one for fishing and docking /ancoring.Then if your fishing partner or yourself buggers the fishing sounder/plotter you still have a plotter to get home or continue working .

Would like to have a good ring bound paper copy handy for reference and planning, have no issues with the Nav chip and always have backup if plotter does go down.

Would like to have a good ring bound paper copy handy for reference and planning, have no issues with the Nav chip and always have backup if plotter does go down.
The Canadian Hydrographic Service (Cdn. Gov.) publishes charts for all coastal waters around Canada. They are actually required on your boat if you are in a specific waterway. Most marine stores stock a selection of the area they are in. I see you are from Small Town, AB. so you’ll probably have to come to the coast or go online to get them. I’ve bought them at Steveston Hardware, Nikka’s, West Marine, and Berry’s Bait I think.Evergreen Publishing prints a cruising atlas for Northwest Waters that covers from Olympia, Wash. to Queen Charlotte Strait, but it isn’t legal to use for navigational purposes, although it’s a good reference book, in fact I have an extra copy I’d trade for a bottle of dark rum if our paths ever cross.

Back