Campion 682: seeking input.

Delray

Hello All
Considering purchasing a campion 682. Boat is a 2010 with twin 150 yamahas.
Currently have a campion 542 , so it’s a step up for us. Would like to hear from some others what their thoughts are on this set up.
Some of the questions are:
Twin 150s vs a big single : advantage or not?
Some options that you feel may be useful: mainly used for fishing etc. but thinking we would like to overnight on this boat and do some exploring. Also have a grandchild who we would like to bring along for some of these trips and it’s not really realistic in an 18 ft boat.
Close quarter manoeuvring : being a hard top how does the wind affect this
Anything else that may be useful to know.
thanks to all who reply.

Hello All
Considering purchasing a campion 682. Boat is a 2010 with twin 150 yamahas.
Currently have a campion 542 , so it’s a step up for us. Would like to hear from some others what their thoughts are on this set up.
Some of the questions are:
Twin 150s vs a big single : advantage or not?
Some options that you feel may be useful: mainly used for fishing etc. but thinking we would like to overnight on this boat and do some exploring. Also have a grandchild who we would like to bring along for some of these trips and it’s not really realistic in an 18 ft boat.
Close quarter manoeuvring : being a hard top how does the wind affect this
Anything else that may be useful to know.
thanks to all who reply.
What year is your 542. Might be interested.Thank you.

It’s an 08. 150 Yamaha. 1600 ish hours well maintained. Not for sale yet. I know that they are popular boat, and deservedly so. We love our boat.

No direct experience with Campion, but your close in maneuvering will be very good once you get used to handling a twin setup. Remember the throttles are your friends, use them.

The debate about twins vs big single has gone back and forth for years without a clear winner. For you, the point should be moot unless the motors are quite old and a repower is needed. Even then, the extra cost of twin outboards would be dampened down by the fact you already have rigging in place (assuming you repower with same brand).

Cost and time of re rigging to another brand is not to be taken lightly. Pay a shop to do it and you'll be in for 2000 per motor for parts and labour. And if you DIY it still puts you on the hook for new controls, cables, harness, key switch. If it's a fancy new fly by wire throttle, shift and steering setup, the parts alone are 2000, plus labour. Good incentive to stay with existing power or new/er power from same maker!

Hey Delray,

My cousin bought a new 682 about 5 years ago and I helped him decide about power and options.
He uses the boat a lot all over the west coast. Nootka, Hardy, Desolation, etc. They overnight a lot. They love the boat as it is perfect for their needs. He is a really good fisherman and the boat fishes really well.
He decided to go single 300 Yamaha with 9.9 kicker. Reason was twins added about 400 pounds and would consume 20 to 30% more fuel. Plus only one big engine to maintain. Trade off was maneuverability but that is only when docking. You also get more space on the swim grid with a single.

Other options to consider are:
Diesel heater. If overnighting it’s really nice
Full camper back or slope back. Again for overnights
He had problems with the factory trailer and ended up getting a new one. Can’t remember which brand but way better.

I think this is a great boat and you would be really happy with it.

I had a Campion 602 from 2004 to 2014 and really liked the boat. Again fished all over the west coast.
PM me if you wanted any more info

Hey Delray.
I own a 2004 682 with twin Yamaha 150’s . I personally love having the twins ! As you are likely aware Campion hasn’t changed that hull design in years. The biggest issue I have is rain water getting into the cuddy , ongoing issue . You will like the ride,cuddy is tight but suites a couple for a night or 2 max. Any specifics ask away!

Attachments

• 60DD8AA1-DA13-4C70-9F8E-121679533069.jpeg
    60DD8AA1-DA13-4C70-9F8E-121679533069.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 190
  • 21810B6C-03B8-4E9B-A404-152EEF79BD50.jpeg
    21810B6C-03B8-4E9B-A404-152EEF79BD50.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 183
Thanks for the replies.
I can’t seem to find the specs for holding tank size, we do plan on using the next boat for overnighting, and this boat does not have a macerator discharge on the head. ( I am aware of the regulations that surround discharge of effluent) We spend much of our time in Barkley Sound and to the best of my knowledge Bamfield does not have a pump out. Is the holding tank sufficiently sized for more than a couple of days.
Boat does not have shore power. I thought it may be handy,but, realistically, we will be remote camping so I am neutral on the boat not having it. Any thoughts?
No Radar. We will have to add. Newer electronics so it should be quite simple to add. A must for many areas where we fish or would like to fish IMO.
Icebox only. No 12 volt fridge. Used coolers most of my life anyways, but they are handy to have.
No heater. Use the boat year round so it would be nice to have heat. I guess we can add, or continue to use the Little Buddy heater we have..
As I write it all out it seems that this boat doesn’t check a lot of the boxes we were looking for,but, it has been so well looked after... 450 ish hours lots of life left yet...hmm decisions..
Question about EOH brakes. The layout of our property is such that I have to back up a hill to put the boat under cover. I assume that because there is no brake application the brakes are fully disengaged. ( as opposed to surge brakes) is this the case? I am not familiar with the set up but understand the basics of how they work.
Any comments ...feel free.

Hey Delray,

I've never seen a Campion 682 with just an Ice Box and no shore power , both were standard on a 2010. backing up hill should be a none issue with EOH providing you have the right towing vehicle cause you will be pushing 7000lbs or so id it a 682 Hardtop with 150 twins . As far as the head capacity goes I cant say ............I never used mine, still has the instructions inside the bowl and its a 2004..

Al

Hey Delray.
I own a 2004 682 with twin Yamaha 150’s . I personally love having the twins ! As you are likely aware Campion hasn’t changed that hull design in years. The biggest issue I have is rain water getting into the cuddy , ongoing issue . You will like the ride,cuddy is tight but suites a couple for a night or 2 max. Any specifics ask away!
I have a water leak in a 2004 on the starboard side above the toilet. Can’t find it any help is great I’ve taken out the side plex window and resealed and sealed the NAV light as well

Thanks for the replies.
I can’t seem to find the specs for holding tank size, we do plan on using the next boat for overnighting, and this boat does not have a macerator discharge on the head. ( I am aware of the regulations that surround discharge of effluent) We spend much of our time in Barkley Sound and to the best of my knowledge Bamfield does not have a pump out. Is the holding tank sufficiently sized for more than a couple of days.
Boat does not have shore power. I thought it may be handy,but, realistically, we will be remote camping so I am neutral on the boat not having it. Any thoughts?
No Radar. We will have to add. Newer electronics so it should be quite simple to add. A must for many areas where we fish or would like to fish IMO.
Icebox only. No 12 volt fridge. Used coolers most of my life anyways, but they are handy to have.
No heater. Use the boat year round so it would be nice to have heat. I guess we can add, or continue to use the Little Buddy heater we have..
As I write it all out it seems that this boat doesn’t check a lot of the boxes we were looking for,but, it has been so well looked after... 450 ish hours lots of life left yet...hmm decisions..
Question about EOH brakes. The layout of our property is such that I have to back up a hill to put the boat under cover. I assume that because there is no brake application the brakes are fully disengaged. ( as opposed to surge brakes) is this the case? I am not familiar with the set up but understand the basics of how they work.
Any comments ...feel free.
Both holding tank and water tank are 60.2 litres or 15.9 gallons.

I've never owned a Campion,but the questions you have relate to any boat.I personally think the 150 HP Yamaha's are one of if not the best motors ever made,you should have no trouble with them for years if properly maintained.Great manouverability with twins too and good for offshore runs.More maintenance and of course your putting hrs. on main instead of kicker.Hardtop vs soft top will make zero difference in wind I think.

This is an old thread. The question about Campion has already been discussed.
@HGT you may have better luck if you create a new thread for your leak issue.

I have a water leak in a 2004 on the starboard side above the toilet. Can’t find it any help is great I’ve taken out the side plex window and resealed and sealed the NAV light as well
I have the same boat , same year, same leak . Finally found the source , there was a hole drilled to run a wire up to the hardtop and it’s directly under the window frame , it’s factory and they did it on both the Port and Stbd side . Really poor idea and the worst spot possible to run a wire. I carved out the old chaulking and filled the hole with epoxy then sitkaflex the heck out of it

Attachments

• 4BFC0038-6C2B-4626-95BC-943F5A33B610.jpeg
    4BFC0038-6C2B-4626-95BC-943F5A33B610.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 89
  • A12D1CBE-6929-4457-BB7D-FD7620F7B803.jpeg
    A12D1CBE-6929-4457-BB7D-FD7620F7B803.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 85
As long as they are working properly, EOH will not activate the brakes in reverse, they only activate the trailer brakes when the vehicle brakes are applied. Some surge brakes have an electric cutoff that prevents the brakes from activating when the tow vehicle is in reverse but not all. If the brakes are EOH you will have no problems with brakes. Pushing a bigger boat up hill in reverse may or may not be a different issue.

Back