Campion or Double Eagle

@Squire Also just watched the video you may be referencing.. I see that they do a chop gun layer against the gel coat.. then it looked like they were hand laying matting on top of that around 4:30?

I guess they do use the mat as well. My memory is good but short: I thought they just reinforced the keel.
The point of my posts was to dispute the ridiculous rumours of Campions falling apart so they didn't play a role in the OP's decision.
Don't let my concession of the BW and GW superior build reputation affect your enjoyment of your Campion; I don't let it affect mine.

Lake = Campion
Ocean = Double Eagle

Although they both have different advantages.
I bought my first Campion boat in 1994 (215 Sedan), my next one in 2007 (622 sedan) and my current one in 2016 (682). Although I have never owned a Double Eagle as a comparison, I'd like to say to the OP that he should not be afraid of a Campion, nor be swayed by some of the bias presented. For the past 27 years I have used my Campion boats extensively around this island, 99% of the time off the west coast. Although I'm not a guide who pounds his way offshore day after day, I have not babied my boats and have felt confidence in them while fishing sometimes as much as 30 miles offshore. I have never had a structural problem with any of my Campion boats. I think there are better boats but, as Squire says, they are more expensive and heavy. I know a guy with a Grady the same size as my 682 and he can only dream of getting the fuel mileage and cruise speed that I get. That said, if I was a guide on WCVI as he is, I would probably be running a Grady.
When I ordered my 682 I asked for some specific additions and Campion was very willing to oblige. They invited me to come to their factory where I was given a full tour and allowed to see my boat under construction. I met a number of the employees and have to say that I was impressed by their pride in their work.
Have there ever been problems with a Campion? Of course. A DE? Sure. Grady? Yup. Some people could break an anvil. Keep in mind that some of the opinions expressed on this and all forums are uninformed, here say, exaggerated, and sometimes absolute BS. We are all experts on the Internet!
Good luck in your search for a boat

Thanks for all the great feedback! I feel comfortable with either boat at this point and will be on the lookout for the best deal on a newer 18-20 foot cuddy model. From the responses it sounds like the 176 DE might be a bit small for my needs wanting to fish with three or four people. If anyone has a good lead on a boat please shoot me a message!

Don't just get hung up names. The Campion is just as good as double eagle. Campion interiors or better I think. Both boats have each of their advantages and flaws.

Your not travelling on rough water anyway.

A campion 542 is pretty good for lakes and the ocean.

If your buying used have a look around at other boats If you can.

The only double eagle I really like at this point is the 206. It has the hardtop and good cuddy space. I would check that one out too if it is an option for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great feedback! I feel comfortable with either boat at this point and will be on the lookout for the best deal on a newer 18-20 foot cuddy model. From the responses it sounds like the 176 DE might be a bit small for my needs wanting to fish with three or four people. If anyone has a good lead on a boat please shoot me a message!
I run a 185 DE and I’ll admit, I don’t want more than 3 in the boat to fish. Too crowded. Last thing I want to do have is have a bunch of folks at the back while we’re doing the fish dance. Having a pedestal at the helm, and sleeper on the port side adds seating, but reduces dance floor. Double sleeper would be tight! I’m keeping the sleeper as we’re a family of 4. Seen a few without sleeper seats and there is a lot more dance floor. Not the best fishing platforms in my opinion but it’s a perfect boat for us right now.

I have owned 2 campion 542s. I have had zero issues with both boats. We fish Barkley Sound a lot and have had no problems. Cruising is fine with more than 4, if fishing, 3 is ideal. Wife and myself often fish alone and it works out well. Buy one with the stand up Bimini, way more convenient.115hp is underpowered, 150 is a good fit if talking 4 strokes, a friend has one with a 135 2 stroke and he likes it.
Mine is a 2008 which had a recall on the fuel tank, just a heads up. Mine had no issues and Campion was great to deal with.
Overall, I am very happy with it, and we catch a lot of fish.
Good luck with the boat hunt

Back