Campion or Double Eagle

slayer99

New to the forum here and was hoping to get some "Expert" opinions. I am looking to purchase a new boat mostly for the big interior lakes such as Kootenay, Kookanusa, Trout, Okanagan. I have been looking at the Campion EX18 or 542, and the DE 176 and 185. How would you compare the boats for inland lakes for mostly fishing and exploring? Which boat would you choose and why?

New to the forum here and was hoping to get some "Expert" opinions. I am looking to purchase a new boat mostly for the big interior lakes such as Kootenay, Kookanusa, Trout, Okanagan. I have been looking at the Campion 185, and the DE 176 and 185. How would you compare the boats for inland lakes for mostly fishing and exploring? Which boat would you choose and why?
Are you specifically talking about the Campion 185 which is the old version of the Campion 542? If yes I don't have much any experience with the 185, but if your interested in a post 2004 Campion 542 I can give you some info.

Are you specifically talking about the Campion 185 which is the old version of the Campion 542? If yes I don't have much any experience with the 185, but if your interested in a post 2004 Campion 542 I can give you some info.
Sorry meant the 542 or EX18 model.

Sorry meant the 542 or EX18 model.
Ok, I have a 2017 542 and love it for what you have the desire to use it for. I use it on the ocean but it is small enough that launching at lakes is easy. It has a great layout and can "comfortably" sit 5-6 people for cruising and exploring.. trolling with 3 works really well.. 4 is a bit crowded. It has high free board and good storage lay out. Comparing to the DE 185.. it's pretty similar other than the 185 isn't self bailing which is what made me go with the 542... The thought of cleaning blood and guts from the bilge didn't interest me. Also the seats are the stern are removable on the 542 which gives you a bit more room when fishing in the corners. If you don't plan on sleeping on the boat or want to lock things in the boat the 176 would be perfect as well. All well built economical boats. Anymore questions let me know

Ok, I have a 2017 542 and love it for what you have the desire to use it for. I use it on the ocean but it is small enough that launching at lakes is easy. It has a great layout and can "comfortably" sit 5-6 people for cruising and exploring.. trolling with 3 works really well.. 4 is a bit crowded. It has high free board and good storage lay out. Comparing to the DE 185.. it's pretty similar other than the 185 isn't self bailing which is what made me go with the 542... The thought of cleaning blood and guts from the bilge didn't interest me. Also the seats are the stern are removable on the 542 which gives you a bit more room when fishing in the corners. If you don't plan on sleeping on the boat or want to lock things in the boat the 176 would be perfect as well. All well built economical boats. Anymore questions let me know
Thanks. The self bailing does sound like a major plus for the Campion. What HP you running on the 542? 150?

All good options, depends what your going to be doing more of, the Double eagle 176 is a little smaller (obviously) no cuddy cabin more of a fishing boat for 2 guys. The DE185 and 542 explorer are nice boats small cuddy cabin up front good for kids, water sports and fishing good multifunctional boats. Can’t go wrong with either, in my opinion the double eagle has a slightly better ride quality in choppy water over the 542 but the 542 is self bailing don’t think the DE is Atleast not the one I’ve been is was. Campion is more comfortable for a family. If you go with a campion go with post 2004 like mentioned above, can’t go wrong with one or the other. It would come down to price and what’s available in your area. Both boats do well with 150hp that seems to be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
I have heard the term "Campion Exploder" used around other posts. Was there an issue with the Campion fiberglass or is this just an opinion? Apparently some sites are saying the Double Eagle is a better quality hull than the Campion. Is there any truth to that?

I have heard the term "Campion Exploder" used around other posts. Was there an issue with the Campion fiberglass or is this just an opinion? Apparently some sites are saying the Double Eagle is a better quality hull than the Campion. Is there any truth to that?
I have a 150 Yamaha on mine. Really good fit for it. I think you can cherry pick examples from any boat line in terms of build quality and things they have seen (delamination/rotten transoms etc).. everyone has a different opinion and it seems to be based on personal anecdotes.. never have seen a technical report comparing the hull fabrication/components. I unfortunately ran over my dock line attached to a gunnel cleat while backing my boat in.. the tire running over the line put enough pressure on the cleat to stop my truck.. but there was zero damage to the cleat or fiberglass/gelcoat... I have zero concerns with how mine seems to be built, but I am by no means a boat expert.

Not sure why Campion is getting such a rough ride, both are great boats, I’ve had a 1996 Campion 185 same as the 542 from 1997-2003 for years, rock solid boat, great in the chuck and at home towing kids in a lake, smooth in rough water, love the boat and highly recommend the boat!

If you like day trips only I recommend the 176. Nice dance floor, economical to run. Great boat.

The 542 is a beauty boat if you need a cuddy for kids naps, extra storage etc. After 2004 they are all composite.

185’s are awesome too. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

Just make sure the hull and motor check out and prepare to pay the covid tax.

Post #6 from Fishin has the most valuable info. For your specific usage, you can’t go wrong with either of the two models. Maybe if you can tell us more about the number of people and their primary needs, we can help you come up with pointed pros/cons of each model??

When I was shopping for a boat in 2018 prior to buying a new Campion682 Parksville Boathouse had two 2003 682s for sale; one outboard and one inboard/outboard powered. As these boats were on their trailers I was able to scrutinize every inch of the hull for cracks. The outboard model allowed me to look inside the hatch along the stringers near the stern as well. After hearing how inferior the Campion build was I was surprised to not find any cracks in 15 year old boats, one of which fished the West coast of the Island regularly. I didn’t even find any cracks in the gel coat in the inside radius of the deck and seat bases which would have been expected. Especially after having a salesman from Thunderbird Marine at the time tell me a horror story about a brand new 682 breaking in half over a ferry wake and sinking in Howe Sound when I told him the boat they just sold was one that fit my checklist. This prompted an extensive internet search for cracked or broken Campions after which I deleted said salesman’s name from my contacts.
I wouldn’t claim their hulls were on par with Boston Whaler or Grady White but neither is the price tag.

When I was shopping for a boat in 2018 prior to buying a new Campion682 Parksville Boathouse had two 2003 682s for sale; one outboard and one inboard/outboard powered. As these boats were on their trailers I was able to scrutinize every inch of the hull for cracks. The outboard model allowed me to look inside the hatch along the stringers near the stern as well. After hearing how inferior the Campion build was I was surprised to not find any cracks in 15 year old boats, one of which fished the West coast of the Island regularly. I didn’t even find any cracks in the gel coat in the inside radius of the deck and seat bases which would have been expected. Especially after having a salesman from Thunderbird Marine at the time tell me a horror story about a brand new 682 breaking in half over a ferry wake and sinking in Howe Sound when I told him the boat they just sold was one that fit my checklist. This prompted an extensive internet search for cracked or broken Campions after which I deleted said salesman’s name from my contacts.
I wouldn’t claim their hulls were on par with Boston Whaler or Grady White but neither is the price tag.
And what makes you think they are not on par? Thinner fiberglass? Design of the hull in terms of shape? To me that's like saying Ford's better than Dodge.. but why!?

I had a 2000 542 Campion for 10 years and absolutely loved it, I only upgraded recently to a Grady White 228 Seafarer as my family got older and bigger but I did fish 4 people in the 542 lots with tons of room all over the West Coast and Port Hardy in some snotty weather. The boat can handle worst water than I’m comfortable in. My buddy had the
Double Eagle before I bought my Campion but the Campion came up first. They are both solid boats with the cuddy for storage and naps for the wife and kids.

Boston Whalers are dual-core foam-filled construction and Grady White’s fibreglass is hand-laid mat. Both come with the ‘unsinkable’ claim. These construction methods add both weight and cost to the boat.
Although Campion uses the chopped-fibre gun, evenly applied and properly rolled between applications can result in a decent hull. The challenge is having to rely on a worker who gives a crap on every boat. When I bought my 17’ 1984 Stratacraft the hand-laid fibreglass allowed me (250 lbs) to walk on the bow without it even creaking. A similar sized boat I looked at was constructed with the chop gun and from inside the bow looking up I could see the thin spots in the glass and it flexed terribly under my weight.
My decision to buy a 682 was informed and I am happy with my choice but the construction of the hull wasn’t the determining factor after watching the Campion factory video. Layout, fit and finish, weight for size, apparent durability, and price tag were.

Boston Whalers are dual-core foam-filled construction and Grady White’s fibreglass is hand-laid mat. Both come with the ‘unsinkable’ claim. These construction methods add both weight and cost to the boat.
Although Campion uses the chopped-fibre gun, evenly applied and properly rolled between applications can result in a decent hull. The challenge is having to rely on a worker who gives a crap on every boat. When I bought my 17’ 1984 Stratacraft the hand-laid fibreglass allowed me (250 lbs) to walk on the bow without it even creaking. A similar sized boat I looked at was constructed with the chop gun and from inside the bow looking up I could see the thin spots in the glass and it flexed terribly under my weight.
My decision to buy a 682 was informed and I am happy with my choice but the construction of the hull wasn’t the determining factor after watching the Campion factory video. Layout, fit and finish, weight for size, apparent durability, and price tag were.
Interesting. But doesn't hand laid mat still require a worker to give a crap?

@Squire Also just watched the video you may be referencing.. I see that they do a chop gun layer against the gel coat.. then it looked like they were hand laying matting on top of that around 4:30?

Back