Campbell River Reports 2012

I am wondering if someone can perhaps point me in the right direction if I am not already doing the right thing. My efforts this year so far at the Hump have wielded zero fish and I thought I would ask around. The past few times I have been out there have been quite a few fish boated, which adds to the frustration. Generally I try to fish where the other boats are, this is my first fishing season in the Campbell River area and I am not 100% sure on the specific's of the local hot spots. My depths on the down riggers are usually from 180' to 250'. Terminal tackle switches between cop car spoon, blue meanie, rock star and white/glow hootchies, behind a green or iridescent blue flasher. Am I doing anything wrong here or am I on the right track. My gut feeling is I am not deep enough. What wight of cannon balls do you guys usually run?

Cheers and thanks for your time and input

You are not alone. I have only pulled one spring off the hump this entire summer.Pretty sad. The tides can be miserable here and your gear can get tangled real easy. I like to get my one rigger fishing ( running with current) then rig up other side. Try and keep cannons at varied depths to avoid a spaghetti pile. Remember those fish get hammered out there. Spooked and flasher shy. My guess is that fresh fish moving in are probably the ones getting caught.

Has anyone been over to the Cortez Island side latley? Was thinking of trying Plunger Pass or the Penn Islands above the RCA. Any help would be appreciated.

Fished the hump-ish area for a couple hours this morning. Major tide action, and a sizeable swell. We had three strikes in about two hours, which isn't bad. But nothing stuck for long. Two of three on a tomic plug and the third on a hoochie.

We headed out to Discovery Passage for some camping, fishing, and visiting with friends. As we had prior engagements to attend to, we arrived late Saturday and our friends setting camp the day before. After morning coffee, I set out for home to retrieve boat key :eek: it was a pleasant 4 hour re & re drive. Hit the beach with boat and key for a late start fishing. Dropped in crab pots and as weather forecast was wrong about higher winds, the flat calm waters provided excellent jigging conditions for some nice lings and our friend hooking a beauty red snapper.

Crab pots had some nice size dungeness crabs and we relaxed with fire roasted ribs, fresh crab, a local corn on the cob. Next morning, tried crabbing in new location only one keeper and bottom fishing was...damn slow.Moved crab pots and dropped in DR in Greensea Bay on tide change, but no luck for salmon.Handful of other boats trolling too, but no nets out. Crew got restless and wanted to try bottom fishing, fiance lost big something, and then we had double hitter lings. Done fishing, picked up 2 more dungeness weather was cloudy with sunny breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out yesterday after work and was rewarded.
Fishing just north of big rock, picked up a beauty 16# red spring at 173', blue meanie and green flasher.
Nice fight and lovely looking meat.
Also picked up a very large Pacific Cod, healthy fillets from that puppy.
Lots of greenling hookups.
Also caught a wee jack and an undersized spring.
Nice night out once the wind died down.
We will be giving it another shot tomorrow.
Oh yeah, a 12 year old kid caught a 42.5# spring off the fishing pier yesterday!!!

GS

CR the Ling capital of the world......WOW I have never tageted lings before around here but today I went to CR with the family and they are now hooked on fishing lings. Took 2 dozen herring and went thru them in no time catching lings. Moved on the salmon fishing at the end of the day and had a couple of nice ones on and a friends landed a couple himself so all and all a great day fishing in CR.

Haven't seen any post this year about a Hardy trip FA...are you scared for life after last years ordeal?

Haven't seen any post this year about a Hardy trip FA...are you scared for life after last years ordeal?

I am not scared about Hardy..... But is this not the CR tread?

No problems in with anything other then slow fishing but that was every where this year. Did you not already read my posts in the Hardy thread? I thought we touched base on this years trip...Did you not see the picture I posted from Hardy this year. Have you forgotten?

If you want Ling Cod fish your own waters as it a great fishery. Can't wait for my next days off. Can you guess whats for dinner tonight?

I'm thinking about heading up around Stuart or Campbell River for the weekend. Any good reports? Where does a guy go right now for some nice Spring fishing? or are we done?

Thanks Leftcoast

I'm thinking about heading up around Stuart or Campbell River for the weekend. Any good reports? Where does a guy go right now for some nice Spring fishing? or are we done?

Thanks Leftcoast

Talked to a friend of mine on Stuart Island today, he said there arent many chinook around. The coho will be there in full force but they are non-retention unless you're in Bute (you might want to double check the regs). I caught chinooks near Stuart up until sep 20th last year so who knows.... anyways you might be better off closer to CR.

just came back from up in that area, stayed on Little Dent ,took girlfriend out for her first ever salmon fishing..need to keep her from getting to bored so headed out looking for the pinks:rolleyes: found them at entrance to Phillips Arm..I fly fished and at first she chucked small zingers at them, then I handed the fly rod off to her,we caught and released to many to count,then fished south end Denham Bay,bait all around @55ft picked up 2 springs on green and white rubber,sunny and calm..great way to spend some relaxing time away..

Attachments

• DSC06504.jpg
    DSC06504.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC06507.jpg
    DSC06507.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC06512.jpg
    DSC06512.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC06583.jpg
    DSC06583.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC06530.jpg
    DSC06530.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 109
Just got back from 2 days up around Stuart fished hall point and Thurston first day no springs but had some fun releasing 6 coho. Amazing whale show all day they were just playing around so fun to watch. Second day played around in Bute and Raza Island nothing much happening. Great weather. Talking with some locals the spring fishing is pretty slow up there right now.

Back