Browns Bay reports

I just looked at the bite/tide guide, tommorow will be my day! Not sure if it will be the crabs are biting or the chums but tomorrow is the day!

Do they make a hoochie called "Blue Ointment" Might solve the crab biting problem you anticipate ( Forgive me--- Lordie , Lordie!!)

Fished Seperation head hard 6 hours 40 boats didnt see a net get dipped , not a boat at Brown Bay .

Fished deep water today and it was awesome. Easy limits for the three of us. Smallest was about 8 and the rest made the teens easy with 1 going 16lbs.

Then the alarm went off and I got out of bed and headed up to Browns. We launched about 8-8:30 and fished till 2:30ish. We never had a hit and did not see a single net all day. We only seen 2 jumpers and marked very few fish on the sounder. Oh well was good to get out there fish or no fish. And it was NO fish .

Beauty day on the water and enjoyed the killer whales that passed by about 50 yards off our beam.

There was a seine boat back in the RCA working his net. Not sure what he was doing as he appeared to be lunging a pole into the net from the boa tover and over again??

Ray-- he would have been using a plunger pole (bit like a long handled toilet plunger) to scare fish away from the open part of the seine as he was closing the purse while pulling in the purse line.

I figure its not worthwhile going back until Tuesday at the earliest.. Now just where are the masses of fish we heard of during the test fishery..... Hummmmmm

Ah ok. Thanks for that Bryan,makes sense now. I kinda wonder what opening would there be today. Would it be a FN boat or a test boat? Was a big aluminum no paint.

Is there any word as to how they did on wed during the opening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just guessing Ray-- but I would think FN. Could be either.

re crabbing-- good luck, after a long summer most areas have been pretty much picked over. But maybe there is one that is legal hiding under a rock LOL

Well I guess I'll wait till next weekend!!! Hope there is something there at derby time.

20 hours fishing between Friday pm and this am.
1 hit at Greensea, rookie had it to the boat and we lost it, oh well.
1 on Sat pm in the cooler, 10lbs15oz, male, empty stomach.
MANY MANY netters in the area until they dumped holds into the packers in Plumper Sat am.
Saw a few nets pulled in, NOT full.

There are fish there, not in large numbers, perhaps they will fill the area in another few days?
Going again next weekend, fingers crossed!

Interesting how fast word gets out, progressively fewer sporties out until this morning there weren't 30 boats between Separation and Plumper combined!

Rarely see so many large marine mammals in one area though, wow!

Flat seas, great company, all was good!

The most distubing reports are No chum from Ripple Rock, Chatham, Green Sea, a buddy of mine said even the gill netters weren't doing well up the either. Did the Seiners wipe em all out?? Makes u wonder why is there another opening on the 22nd??

buddy of mine said they hit 11 on tuesday @ greensea... we went out on sunday and hit 4 landed 1 @ greensea...saw hundreds jumping, but very few biters. most of the boats there hit a couple but it was very slow for the number of fish we saw showing.

Just got in (Tuesday night Oct 10) and it was a great day! Overcast but calm, my wife got some great shots of the humpback whales, and we boated 3 chum from a quad header! It was the only action we seen in about 5 hours of fishing, but lots of fun. The down riggers at 75' and 90' (dummies 10' behind the ball, a solid pink squirt 32" behind a blue (one side) / green (other side) flasher 15' up from the balls, and pink/blue and pink/black squirts 36" behind a blue (one side) / green (other side) flasher 15' up from there. The last rod had a big peice of kelp on the hook so it may have popped off without us having lost a fish - which would make us 3 for three...but it might've hooked the kelp on the surface after a lost chum popped it off too?? Dunno - don't care - it was the kind of action we have been waiting for! :) Great fighting fish.

Biggest chummlie was a 12lb doe the other two were ~9lbs (a buck and a doe). Still silver but the bars were starting coming in.

Get out there! It's only gonna get better.

Oops - meant to say we were fishing at Greensea. But the Chum were showing the whole way out the strait.

Just got in (Tuesday night Oct 10) and it was a great day! Overcast but calm, my wife got some great shots of the humpback whales, and we boated 3 chum from a quad header! It was the only action we seen in about 5 hours of fishing, but lots of fun. The down riggers at 75' and 90' (dummies 10' behind the ball, a solid pink squirt 32" behind a blue (one side) / green (other side) flasher 15' up from the balls, and pink/blue and pink/black squirts 36" behind a blue (one side) / green (other side) flasher 15' up from there. The last rod had a big peice of kelp on the hook so it may have popped off without us having lost a fish - which would make us 3 for three...but it might've hooked the kelp on the surface after a lost chum popped it off too?? Dunno - don't care - it was the kind of action we have been waiting for! :) Great fighting fish.

Biggest chummlie was a 12lb doe the other two were ~9lbs (a buck and a doe). Still silver but the bars were starting coming in.

Get out there! It's only gonna get better.

Oops - meant to say we were fishing at Greensea. But the Chum were showing the whole way out the strait.

Solid report Scooter. Thanks.

fished the area several times, but always been pretty lucky on the weather...lookin not so much for this weekend. How fishable is it in 35 kt SE? :( How's the run from CR in that type of wind?
Thanks.

Back