Browns Bay reports

Out today--- magnificent weather. Stopped and nailed a nice ling near Eagles Cove. Went up to Chatham and fished almost up to Rock bay. Two other boats fishing. During the three hours we were fishing, we saw 1/2 doz nice schools of chums finning and the odd jumper along the kelp beds and the wall. Right off the bat I landed a nice 10lb coho that was released. Next we had a double header after running through a school of chums--- lost both. On the return pass I had a strong hit at 75 ft. Then nibbled the hoochie and when I tried to set the hook, it ran toward the boat. I told my partner not to pull in his gear as I didnt think it was a big fish..WRONG!!! It turned and dove. Not like a spring but straight down! My partner hastily got his rigger and rod out of the way and readied the net. After about 10 min we had the fish nearing the boat--- my partner let out a yell "STEELHEAD!" when it passed the boat 5 ft off. Long and snakey, estimated the weight around the 20lb level.

We knew then we would have to let it go-- but we wanted a close look at it and maybe a picture so I guided it toward the net. But as luck would have it, just as it was crossing the lip of the net, it gave a shrug-- and slowly swam off... the flasher tried to whack me in the face..... Grins and hi-5s !! Bit later my partner nailed another coho that had to be released too. Tide stopped pushing, so we headed off to Greensea. About 8 boats working the area. We didnt see any fish on the surface, but we did see a guide boat land a double header of chums and other boats got singles. As for us-- nada.. On the way back to CR, we stopped at Separation Head and dropped the gear. My partner almost immediately hit a very lively coho-- it fought like a tiger. Turned out to be an unmarked 15lb slab, chrome brite!!!!! Great way to end the trip. Is it worthwhile trying this weekend?? You bet! Have fun kiddies, I will be out again on Friday.

Thus endeth the lesson..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup-- purple and red hoochies with a pink spin-n-glo at the top. The steelhead was on a standard red sockeye hoochie. Green glo flashers, short leaders. Perhaps guys guiding for chums at Deepwater and Greensea could provide info on what they are using-- Chums are greatly underrated fish and deserve more respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far up did you go Cuba Libre? Thinking of heading up to Chatham area in the morning... test fishery has shown lots of chummies going through upper Johnstone Straight...

Started at Rock Bay, then to Greensea and down to Deepwater bay. The chums were showing at Deepwater.

Not my report, it came from another site...

Campbell River fishing report.
Get out your pink and purple gear the Chum are on their way and they are on their way in huge numbers. The commercial test sets show this as possibly the biggest run in the last 100 years.
I kid you not, the numbers are big and so are the fish, testing at an average 16 lbs
We have had limited catch of Chum this week with lots of fish going through and not biting; but as the run builds and the bio- mass grows things will heat up in a hurry. This weekend promises to be a lot of fun. Chatham Point , Green Sea Bay, Separation head &, Plumper Bay are going to be the spots to visit. Try 60'-120' to start off you will find them quickly if their there.

We will have a full report on this weekends events on Monday Oct 1st

Tight lines Jigs & Reels

Chums are at Green Sea for sure, double headers, and I agree, they are way bigger than last year. We hooked up steady all afternoon yesterday at Green Sea, Chatham was slower for us. Hundreds finning and jumping on the surface... usual pink hootchies, anywhere from 30-80 feet.

Browns Bay marina must be licking thier chops.
Wonder if the fish will still be around in 4 weeks?
At least they know this year the fishermen will be.

Plumper Bay

I was at Plumper Bay today from 10 till 1 saw a couple boats with fish on when I got there I set up and trolled out of the 20 boats or so that were there and around plumper bay fish were jumping everywhere lots of schools fining I never got anything when I got back in the crowd there were a few nets out and saw a double nothing too crazy lot of fish though nice day no wind not much current cloudy some drizzle.
Terry

Went out at 1 o'clock with GLG in his boat went to Greensea fished the flood Picked up 1 15lb Chum had one vicous Pop off and that's it. Saw a few nets out Not a lot of action. Lots of Jumpers. Trollers seemed to be doing OK on some sets. Beauty day on the water though. Good to see lots of familiar Sonora and Stewart Island faces out there.

Out today at deepwater, saw a few fish caught, lots jumping, and they were large. we were ready to call it a day when wham a triple header Now comes the gong show. Pulled one rod from the holder and snap, the rod broke, down goes the upper half to the flasher. Grab another rod, and of course net still not set up; best beloved, who seldom goes fishing, got it ready and one in the boat, second one came to net like it just surrendered. Now for the one with the broken rod, hand lined it in to within 20 feet of the boat, when it decided that it would tie itself around the downrigger line. Now what? We brought the downrigger up, and the tangled line caught up on the stoppers and dragged the flasher and fish up to the surface, where we netted it, but couldn't get it near the boat untill we loosened up the extendable boom and shortened it up; reached over and pop out comes the hook. In the boat 15lbs. Some times the fish gods smile on you, and at other times they laugh at you. Today they smiled. In all we ended up with five, all headed for the smoker.:):)

Back