BROWNS BAY CHUM DERBY 2009

quote:the beer tastes like ****

Kelly- if its Lucky it will! :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fished it this evening for about 2 hours. Hooked into at least 7 or 8 fish landed only two tho. I $uck. I am in need of lessons. Hope to learn enough in my dreams tonight. Will be back up there by 7am.

Oh must mention the water was flat, the sun was out, had to put the sunglasses on and take a sweater off. Fished 3:30 Till 5:30. Hope the weather hangs around for a couple of days.

Cheers,

Cant speak to the derby because we didnt get involved in the zoo. But Plumper was packed around 10am as we headed to Greensea. Things were pretty slow as we didnt have a good tide push until we got suspecious about the 6-8 trollers working across from Greensea at Rock Bay. Sure enough, when we got there they were into large schools of fish all over the surface. We wacked 5 and lost 2 in about 1/2 hr, then it was time to go. Magnificent weather.

at Greensea a big fat drunk with his shirt off, standing up in his 17ft whaler that was being towed by a larger whaler was making a fool of himself. If he had fallen overoard, there would have been no way anyone could get him back in a boat. Last we saw of him the DFO Zodiac was all over him. Got to wonder what the result was.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fished Greensea and Chatham point from 9am to 4pm on Saturday. Boated four and lost six. Fished Deep water bay Sunday morning from 8am to 3pm and got eleven in the boat and lost four all day. Crew members had a blast!

Time to start smoking some fish!

Reel Chaos

Didn't fish sunday but did fish on saturday. Started at Green Sea, got one right away then it went dead. Went up to Chattam and it was loaded with fish. We got our 16 fish limit, lost just as many (or so it seemed), plus released a wild coho about 15 pounds and headed back. To begin with the fish were taking very lightly, so we had to play around to get them to bite harder. Best fishing was just after the flip.

There were only 2 boats (yee haaa) all day besides the commercial trollers, then just as we were done and headed home one other boat joined. All the fish were around 100 feet. Great day of fishing.

Hey Cuba ! Is this the guy?? I borrowed this pic from an old thread from last year before the derby.I was there last year and he was there just the same. Never without a Lucky. Not sure how he survives?
CHUMFEST2007.jpg

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

16 Saturday in Deepwater and Plumper 30-60'...5 Sunday same area 50-100'. Both days landed about 1 of every 3...pretty dismal display![:I]
Saturday had 3 quadruple headers and landed only 3 of the 12 fish...but what a blast!
Osama never made it out of the cuddy Saturday...other than half a dozen mad dashes to the stern with eyes WIDE and cheeks bulging[xx(]. Sunday had everyone in good spirits with some sunshine.
See you all next year!
You missed a good time Lindz!

Sure looks like the same dude Jencourt. A drowning waiting to happen.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I had my son and his friend sat and sun. We got into quite a few fish and the kids had a blast. We got shook sown by the DFO, they were really nice, they only looked at my licence, didnt even check for barbs..
I finally got to meet a couple of you, Osama, Chris, Tortuga.. you guys all seem like solid dudes.. look forward to seeing more of you. I know there was more of you there but I didnt have a clue what anyone looks like.
I almost had Kevin(My Escape) in the boat on Sunday, somehow we didnt get hooked up. We stayed on board sunday eve, had a large crab feast, plus Dad (yours truly) had a couple beers and a bit of a big head on sunday[:p]

If anyone wants to come chummin, Ill have the boat in the water until Oct 31, shoot me a Pm. Cheers, Dave.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

My thanks go out to the organizers of this years chum derby. You guys put on another excellent derby. I had a great time on and off the water. I will wear my t-shirt with pride. The group I went with all had a ball catching fish. We all went home with our limits. Largest fish for our group was 14#, no derby winner there but there is always next year. Only had one problem when a fishing line came across the windshield and hung up on the radio antenna. I pulled the antenna down and the line went over the boat and over the rods and was gone. The guy who was on the boat with the problem had one of those huge smegs that had caused it. A warning would have been nice, but to harm no foul. Met a few of the regulars and had a nice visit with them. Drank far too much the night before and was a little off my game on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we lost far more than we boated but still managed to limit out by noon. Sunday was better as we boated far more than we lost. I will be back next year. Best depths were 60 and 90 feet pink/blue squirt.
GLG

DSCF0506.jpg

And the winner is....................................................[?]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I justed posted on VIfish site but have to check here too!!!

Baddogg, sorry didn't get your question about ETD until now, didn't get a chance to chat with you there, oh well.

Who cares which boat Osama was on - it was nice to see him there!
Wouldn't be the same otherwise!

Was both happy and sad that chum eater wasn't closer to BB.

Smiley.

We also had a great time

There were two first time Chum derby participants onboard and I'm sure they'll be back.

Not exactly sure how many fish we kept but I think it was in the vicinity of 25 or 26. Largest were around 13 lbs.

We fished Greensea on Saturday and decided to fish the opposite side. We were one of only 2 boats over there. DFO decided we should be the ones to check.

Came alongside as we had a double header. Checked barbs on the 3 rods that were out of the water and then left. Checked nothing else.

I think they really just wanted a look at my buddies boat which is a beauty.

Saturday we took part in the festivities at the tent and the performer was excellent. Great mix of music. The derby is getting larger every year.

The weigh in Saturday was a gong show. We stood in line to weigh our aggregates and gave up. Too long a lineup. I would suggest doing away with the aggregate to speed things up.

Some may wait to weigh in smaller fish in hopes of a hidden prize, but essentially only those with bigger fish would weight in.

It was a blast as always and plan on being there next year for the 6th straight year. There were quite a few people I didn't get to see or talk to this year and I apologize for that.

Cheers to all.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THIS POST WENT INTO WIDE MODE?????

ah yes...great Derby. It was nice to see Osama again, and found out on Sunday, why he wasn't on the radio, Saturday![xx(] It was nice see some old faces, and put names to new ones.
Hardly noticed the rain on Saturday as the fish kept our minds off of it. Two of us in the boat, and three rods going off. Gotta love that type of confusion.
Sunday, beautiful sunshine, and little slower fishing with singles, a double header thrown in. Pulled the lines out a noon with six in the boat.
A special thanks to Islandgirl, my captain and fishing partner, without who, I'd be stuck on the Lower Mainland, pouting! :(

Saturday Morning

Saturday.jpg

Sunday Morning

Sunday.jpg

Saturday Morning's catch

Satcatch.jpg

Plumper Bay, Sunday Morning

plumper.jpg

bug.gif

Back