Silva Bay Derby is BACK - Sept 2/3 2023

Gabefisher

One week to get your tickets for this awesome derby. All proceeds go to local salmon enhancement. 40 bucks gets you a shot at a really high end sounder, the chance to win really amazing prizes (downriggers, reels, prawn puller) and perhaps get your name on the trophy! And some pizza at the prize ceremony too. Tickets at Harbour Chandler, Arbutus Building Supply, Pages Marina, Silva Bay Marina. Details about prize categories, (including process to enter released legal chinook) boundaries and weigh-in info in the pics below!
IMG_1698.jpeg

Attachments

• 2023SilvaBayFishingDerby.jpg
    2023SilvaBayFishingDerby.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Unfortunately I’ll be away this year on a golfing stag party… First world problems for sure!

Is this going to be the new date for the derby moving forward?

The rumours are true! We're back ON for the Silva Bay Derby this year on September 2-3. We've moved the dates to the first weekend of September which should take us out of the slot limit for the derby boundaries. Tickets will be $40 per adult or $20 for child (under 16). All ticket holders will be eligible for a grand prize of a HDS 10 PRO sounder from Lowrance. Weigh in at Silva Bay Marina. Prize ceremony, and the awarding of the trophy that's been handed out since 1990 will go on 12pm on Sunday, Sept 3rd at Silva Bay Marina.

Thanks to all of the generous prize sponsors who have already stepped up. We have over $10,000 in prizes donated already. If you are a potential sponsor and want to donate a prize, please let me know on here via a DM - or email me at wcboyte@gmail.com. As always - all proceeds from this awesome event benefit local salmon enhancement and community fishing projects.

Boundaries will be (as in past years): Icarus, Neck Point, The Fingers, Entrance Island, Thrasher and Porlier and up to three miles offshore Gabriola/Nanaimo and Inside waters from Northumberland to Porlier.

All fishers must follow DFO regulations and closures and no illegal fish will be permitted to be weighed in.

We'll post more on this thread about how to get tickets - rules prize categories etc., but we wanted to start getting the word out so we get a good turnout.

Look forward to seeing you at Silva Bay on September 2-3!
Is it possible to just fish the Saturday? I have to move my daughter for college on Sunday.

Or just fish Sunday till 12pm?

Only $40 to support a great cause and get a chance at all those awesome prizes for one of the best derby's around?

Wow, something that doesn't cost more after Covid! Silva Bay Derby is just awesome, super glad to see it returning to the public again after a few missing years. Don't be afraid to increase the ticket cost next year, $40 is super low for a derby of this caliber supporting such good causes.

Thanks to the organizers, volunteers and sponsors!

Is it possible to just fish the Saturday? I have to move my daughter for college on Sunday.

Or just fish Sunday till 12pm?
Hey Bearded - we typically expect anglers to be present for the prize ceremony to claim a prize - but if you do enter, fish and weigh in a fish, we can look at options for how to make sure you can claim your prize if it comes to that. And a noted above, for $40 you'll be entered for a new sounder - and supporting local fishing projects.

Only $40 to support a great cause and get a chance at all those awesome prizes for one of the best derby's around?

Wow, something that doesn't cost more after Covid! Silva Bay Derby is just awesome, super glad to see it returning to the public again after a few missing years. Don't be afraid to increase the ticket cost next year, $40 is super low for a derby of this caliber supporting such good causes.

Thanks to the organizers, volunteers and sponsors!
Thanks Salted. We thought long and hard on ticket price - which is up a bit from last year - but we know the economy is down and gas isn't cheap. Look forward to seeing you at Silva Bay.

Unfortunately I’ll be away this year on a golfing stag party… First world problems for sure!

Is this going to be the new date for the derby moving forward?
So the rest of us have a chance now Lee

I hope to be there. I was thinking the PA but finances got harsh (fixed income). I know the west coast and out of Vancouver but am a rookie over here.
Might need a fishing buddy, or two to help share......
PM me.
20220808_201727_HDR1.jpg

Attachments

• 25searay2.jpg
    25searay2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
Would love to know how the derby turned out.
24.something got first and second, 22lbs and 20lbs for third and fourth. Lots of good prizes for the winners, and lots left on the table for random draws after the winners.

I personally had some of the worst fishing of the summer, but obviously others found decent fish. Fishing in yesterday’s wind was pretty tough and miserable. First derby I really fished in, it was fun. Hats off to the guys that organized it all and the generous sponsors that gave up some great prizes.

Looking forward to next year.

Back