Bow - to - Stern Line attachments to boat, halibut anchoring

Nope Greg, it's just if you had to let go of your anchor you can motor back and pick up the line from the double ring to the carabiner that you hook onto your bow to stern line easier as it's floating. Then reconnect and fish away or pull your anchor. Do it all from the stern.

Hey Darin....I have a float on my line from the ring to my carabiner. He has one on his line from the bow to stern from his picture. At least that’s what it looks like....‍

Could you use the bow to stern line for grabbing a mooring buoy at the swim grid and then tying off at a front cleat for overnight anchor.

My bow to stern is always attached as it is the one I use to retreive the boat back onto the trailer when I haul out as it is long enough that I don't get my feet wet during that process. I keep the stern end tied off to a stainless grab handle up high when not hali fishing and then over and under it around the rear cleat when using it to fish. When I pull the anchor I bring the carabiner clip back where I can reach it, take it off the bow to stern line and attach it to the stern eyelet for the actual pulling. That way it isn't pulling from the side and sucking one side down as much.

Does anyone make up bridles to go around the two bow cleats? (if that's their setup).
I had a bow eye installed on mine. Fairly easy to do and something you can have done next time your hauled out. Bolts into the anchor locker with a backing plate.

I had a bow eye installed on mine. Fairly easy to do and something you can have done next time your hauled out. Bolts into the anchor locker with a backing plate.
I don't think I trust it.

My bow to stern is always attached as it is the one I use to retreive the boat back onto the trailer when I haul out as it is long enough that I don't get my feet wet during that process. I keep the stern end tied off to a stainless grab handle up high when not hali fishing and then over and under it around the rear cleat when using it to fish. When I pull the anchor I bring the carabiner clip back where I can reach it, take it off the bow to stern line and attach it to the stern eyelet for the actual pulling. That way it isn't pulling from the side and sucking one side down as much.
That makes good sense. My question has been answered.
CohoJoe

Guys will be replying to this thread for 3 years, lol
guys will be fighting over this thread for three years!

anyways i have the quick disconnect in line someone pictured above which disengages me from the entire anchor system. gps your anchor / float and go retrieve it when the slop calms down

I clip it to my bow ring and run it down to my midship cleat which I can easily access from the dance floor. Simple over under on that cleat keeps it easy to release and it never comes undone.
i find keeping it lower at bow reduces the amount of side to side rock when boat starts to turn with tide. I of course keep bow to stern line short enough that if one has to slip off due to danger or chase a fish it can not reach the motors. Last thing we want is to rap it in the prop during the rush or excitement as we are trying to manoeuvre .

Mine is at mid ship as well as a old timer taught me as he said stand at the back corner of your boat "watch it tip" stand at mid ship "dont watch it tip" ALOT of people really get into trouble setting anchors . I see it all the time setting in too strong of current not watching wind and current , YES I error on the other side of caution hence why my bow to stern line is mid ship do I really need to worry wit a wide 26 foot and 8000 lb boat probally not but factor in a 17 foot with 3 guys in it ..YES...EVERY year I see some VERY bad technics out there from no scotsmans to trying to anchor from the front of boat in 2 foot seas some very very stuff, worst ive seen is guy trying to hang on to rode not attached to boat he went over board with it can only assume he was going to front to tie it off??? his buddy went and got him ...

Another time guy threw every thing out then watched it set then tried to motor up to tag line that attaches to boat...over shot it as it was very rough only to get it caught into his prop I watched that boat turn n a dime backwards so FAST even scared me he was lucky as backend of boat was going down as water was coming over backend he finally cut the line and broke free , I was getting ready to untie as I figured it was going to be a rescue operation ..... whatever you do be mindfull many lives have been lost over anchoring. if you dont really understand or know it get someone who has done a ton of it teach you not just a couple of times...last thing we need is someone perishing over a fish....

Good luck Wolf

I can’t believe there’s 32 posts on how to tie a rope from the bow to the stern,, we must be bored Lol.
I was just going to post the same thing only now it's 52 posts, I blame it on Covid

Thank you; I'll keep it low. At the bow did you simply splice an eye? Originally I was thinking of shackle but that will be noisy and could wear, being steel against soft aluminum. You run your line off the port side, correct?

I appreciate everyone's comments.
Bow eye to stern about 6inches off the water due to configuration and cleat location.
I prefer a spliced eye although depending on the bow eye configuration a shackle to spliced eye may work better on the S.S.
As a rule I carry second bow to stern line as it's the fusible link if sh*t ever hits the fan and always have a knife handy should something go sideways in strong tide and she gets hung up.
As Wolf said it's best to learn the technique from someone experienced.
We longlined off the Charlottes which builds respect for the weather and tidal conditions...

Last edited:
I have done a lot of anchoring and have always wondered about this statement "get of your anchor in a panic" , How does that every happen and maybe someone could share an example , just wondering how it happens in the middle of nowhere ?(maybe weather .... hmm but I always stay awake and don't seem to have that problem so ???)

I have done a lot of anchoring and have always wondered about this statement "get of your anchor in a panic" , How does that every happen and maybe someone could share an example , just wondering how it happens in the middle of nowhere ?(maybe weather .... hmm but I always stay awake and don't seem to have that problem so ???)
Very good question that I wonder about too. I’ve anchored a lot as well and never a hint of a problem. But I don’t anchor in bad weather or heavy current, and I think that’s why. If you anchor in less than ideal conditions, then I imagine bad things can and will happen. My approach is that it’s a long life and I prefer to keep it that way, so unless the conditions are ideal, I’ll wait for a day when they are. I might catch less halibut in the short term, but if I live longer, it may all even out! :)

Last edited:
Very good question that I wonder about that too. I’ve anchored a lot as well and never a hint of a problem. But I don’t anchor in bad weather or heavy current, and I think that’s why. If you anchor in less than ideal conditions, then I imagine bad things can and will happen. My approach is that it’s a long life and I prefer to keep it that way, so unless the conditions are ideal, I’ll wait for a day when they are. I might catch less halibut in the short term, but if I live longer, it may all even out! :)
Ya, I've never tried to anchore in the middle of active pass :) but if I can get out of Bam , and get to my humps, never had a anchoring issue in 30 years, lucky I guess

This is post # 60 for those that are counting (unless someone gets a post in before I complete this one) I've only been anchoring for the last 4 years. I made a trip with "wolf" when I first got my anchor system and also made my first couple of trips with someone who had done it before. I've never had any panic moments from a safety standpoint but twice I had to pull the anchor up by hand.

1st time my buddy hooked the ball to the wrong ring. (not the sliding ring) He had dropped the anchor many times before so I was getting my rod set-up ready and not watching what he was doing. NO EXCUSE,, MY BOAT, MY FAULT. When we go to pull anchor, the ball wouldn't slide back and I didn't have anything else I could use that would run over the chain. Pulled it up by hand. Didn't realize how heavy the chain and anchor was until we pulled it from 340ft.

2nd time the ball would run back but would not retrieve and hold the anchor. Pulled by hand and when we got to the chain there was a big knot in the chain that wouldn't go through the ring. Again, my fault,,,,,probably let it free fall and the chain piled up. We've been more careful since then.

Note: My set-up is from Trotac. I loop the eye splice through the ring at the bow (same ring that the trailer winch connects too) and tie off at stern cleat. No issues when pulling other than what's noted above but I do find that it takes me longer to retrieve than other boats that I've watched. Maybe my speed is too slow.

Back