Using my normal anchor setup with added line for occasional hali anchoring.

Hot-Streak

I'm looking at setting up a 11lb Bruce anchor, 20ft of chain with about 150-200ft (3/8 diameter) of double braided nylon anchor rope that would sit in my anchor locker.

I would like to carry an extra 300 to 400 ft of leaded prawn line I already have in a tapware container and keep that in the boats storage locker out of the way most times. ( I'm not sure of the diameter but i am assuming the sinking line is 5/16. do they make them thinner?) and a scotchman on my pod.

The idea would be that I would use the anchor for shallow anchoring normally and use the 150ft of nylon in those cases. For the times i want to anchor for hali I'd use a link to attach the prawn line to the end of the nylon rope to give me 500-600ft of total rode. When in hali fishing setup i would still use a Scotchman and bow-to-stern line to connect to the anchor system for quick release and safety.

My boat is 18ft aluminum and I plan to anchor/fish hali in the pedder bay area in 230ft to 330ft.

I was reading this old thread and was wondering if anyone knows if the OP tried this and if it worked..... or if anyone else has an opinion on this.

You'll need to move the shackle on the chain to the "wrong" end of the anchor and zap strap or bind the chain to the normal attachment point. If you don't know this, you aren't ready yet, but just keep researching and learning and you can figure it out.
Otherwise what you have will work. I extend my braided nylon boat anchor rode with the prawn line for hali fishing. Once you have the anchor hanging in the buoy, you could use your prawn puller to retrieve the line which is now sinking again.

You'll need to move the shackle on the chain to the "wrong" end of the anchor and zap strap or bind the chain to the normal attachment point. If you don't know this, you aren't ready yet, but just keep researching and learning and you can figure it out.
Otherwise what you have will work. I extend my braided nylon boat anchor rode with the prawn line for hali fishing. Once you have the anchor hanging in the buoy, you could use your prawn puller to retrieve the line which is now sinking again.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I always drill a hole at the top of the anchor on the spade/blade side and zip tie the chain to the back down.

Also I have my prawn puller always mounted and recover my line with the puller after I retrieve it to the surface by pulling with the Scotchman.

I have anchored many times using a heavy setup from a friends boat but it's heavy and big. I don't always have access to it.

I'm looking to set this up on my boat so I can use my normal anchor occasionally as a Hali setup when I want to by just carrying the extra pawn line and my Scotchman.

Last edited:
My only concern is that prawn line is typically 5/16” and may detieriate with age and use. If your prawn line was to break you will have lost the pricey portions of your anchor set up.

worth it in my opinion to have a 400’ chunk of better quality rope that you can just throw in the boat when you plan to anchor deep. Plus you can never have too much rope !

Better yet get that stuff thats blue and thin VERY strong and thin trotac has it I think its called blue steel but dont quote me

Better yet get that stuff thats blue and thin VERY strong and thin trotac has it I think its called blue steel but dont quote me
I use that for my winch rope so much better than wire or webbing

I wonder about using the pro marine prawn puller during slack current for occasional hali fishing?

My only concern is that prawn line is typically 5/16” and may detieriate with age and use. If your prawn line was to break you will have lost the pricey portions of your anchor set up.

worth it in my opinion to have a 400’ chunk of better quality rope that you can just throw in the boat when you plan to anchor deep. Plus you can never have too much rope !
you have a good point but the issue is I am trying to keep things compact. I'm going to try and stuff 200ft of 3/8 anchor rope into the locker and the rest will have to be something that I can bag/bin and put far up in my bow compartment away and use once in a while.

Amsteel I believe great stuff
I know Brennan and Chris were making anchors out of it a couple years ago for anchoring in deep water way less drag on bouy with the thin line

Amsteel has the same breaking strength as wire rope of the same diameter……amazing stuff but pretty pricey

Its only money!!! BOAT Bring out another thousand
Buy once, cry once. Get the quality stuff and you don't have to worry! Peace of mind is priceless.

Or at least that's what I tell my wife when I'm in the boating stores ;)

we use amsteel at work...its kind of a pain to splice compared to just regular sampson and doesn't have the abrasion resistance either. I actually have a $h!t load of 5/16 I think at home left over from rigging my sailboat. maybe ill put it up for sale if someone wants to give it a go

I got a 200ft roll of 3/8 anchor line. I put an eye splice in (without having to use a fid) and connected it to the bitter end in my cable locker. I will test the anchor out sometime next week with just the 200ft and then connect it to 400ft of prawn line with a quick connect to see how it goes.

I have a spare anchor I'm willing to test it on.

Just wondering if I should connect the prawn line to the (test) anchor then to the anchor line or anchor, anchor line then prawn line.

Back