New to saltwater - looking for in- boat guide

Erickpay

Hey all. I am an experienced lake boater and fisherman, but am new to saltwater. I’m taking the CPS courses, but that is no substitute for on- water experience.

I’m looking for someone willing to join me on my boat to show me the ropes to get started salmon and halibut fishing. I’ll pay all costs. I’ve a 17 foot i/o bow rider, so this would be fair-weather only. I’m equipped with dual downriggers and a trolling kicker. I’m located in Saanich, and will trailer to any local launch.

Any takers?

Last edited:
Hey all. I am an experienced lake boater and fisherman, but am new to saltwater. I’m taking the CPS courses, but that is no substitute for on- water experience.

I’m looking for someone willing to join me on my boat to show me the ropes to get started salmon and halibut fishing. I’ll pay all costs.

Any takers?
best to let people know what boat you have,

You will pick up different tips from different people, good to get out with a more than one person if possible. Would be a shame to not get out with @spring fever, he has a lot of experience and has always shared it in a positive way here. In the 10 years I have been lurking on this sight I have learned plenty from him and I have never met the man!
Also the biggest learning day for me was when we hired a guide and he shared with us how he ran his boat and gear and gave us a 12 month written summary of where, when, how deep and what to use in our local waters. We had had our boat for a year maybe at that time so just knew the basics. That was with pacific angler here in Vancouver and was super helpful, but plenty of options where you are I’m sure.

Good luck

Last edited:
Going out with someone who knows what they are doing is a good idea. All saltwater fishing locations have deferent fishing tactics:

When growing up my family traveled all over BC saltwater and freshwater fishing. We would pack up the camper and the boat and go to new fishing locations. On most occasions we would stay at a location for five plus days due to the travel time to get there. When ever fishing a new location, my dad would hire a guide on the first day out and get out to learn what gear works best and areas to fish. Then he could put his boat in the water and have a better chance at catching fish instead of trolling around for days trying to determine what to use and where to fish.

Over the past 5 years, I have been offering fishing lessons and been out on over a dozen boats with fisherman seeking to learn how to fish bait. 95% of my clients are from the lower mainland and have brought their boats over to the island and start fishing with not much luck. I usually meet people at the dock cleaning station and them asking me where I was fishing and what I was using. Fishing bait you need to know how to make the bait roll to attract fish.

What I offer: I first check out what rods, reels, swivels, line, and the boat they are using. When going out I provide bait, flashers and hooks set ups with teaser heads. Which they can purchase from me at the end of the trip. I show them how to rig the anchovies to roll and how to read the water bottom contours. I usually only go out with them for a few hours at a cost of $200.

I have clients who come to Sooke every year and get me out with them on the first day for a refresher lesson. Last year I was out with four different boats, and I only go on calm days.

If you are interested PM me or give me a call. I can always provide you some suggestions for free.

Doug
D&D Fishing Charters
Ph 778 679-2210

You will pick up different tips from different people, good to get out with a more than one person if possible. Would be a shame to not get out with @spring fever, he has a lot of experience and has always shared it in a positive way here. In the 10 years I have been lurking on this sight I have learned plenty from him and I have never met the man!
Also the biggest learning day for me was when we hired a guide and he shared with us how he ran his boat and gear and gave us a 12 month written summary of where, when, how deep and what to use in our local waters. We had had our boat for a year maybe at that time so just knew the basics. That was with pacific angler here in Vancouver and was super helpful, but plenty of options where you are I’m sure.

Good luck
Good points Wondermur. I’m looking at guides now too. If any Victoria area guides are reading this, let me know if you do one person charters.
Not sure who Spring Fever is, but I’m always willing to get out :)

Going out with someone who knows what they are doing is a good idea. All saltwater fishing locations have deferent fishing tactics:

When growing up my family traveled all over BC saltwater and freshwater fishing. We would pack up the camper and the boat and go to new fishing locations. On most occasions we would stay at a location for five plus days due to the travel time to get there. When ever fishing a new location, my dad would hire a guide on the first day out and get out to learn what gear works best and areas to fish. Then he could put his boat in the water and have a better chance at catching fish instead of trolling around for days trying to determine what to use and where to fish.

Over the past 5 years, I have been offering fishing lessons and been out on over a dozen boats with fisherman seeking to learn how to fish bait. 95% of my clients are from the lower mainland and have brought their boats over to the island and start fishing with not much luck. I usually meet people at the dock cleaning station and them asking me where I was fishing and what I was using. Fishing bait you need to know how to make the bait roll to attract fish.

What I offer: I first check out what rods, reels, swivels, line, and the boat they are using. When going out I provide bait, flashers and hooks set ups with teaser heads. Which they can purchase from me at the end of the trip. I show them how to rig the anchovies to roll and how to read the water bottom contours. I usually only go out with them for a few hours at a cost of $200.

I have clients who come to Sooke every year and get me out with them on the first day for a refresher lesson. Last year I was out with four different boats, and I only go on calm days.

If you are interested PM me or give me a call. I can always provide you some suggestions for free.

Doug
D&D Fishing Charters
Ph 778 679-2210
Thanks Doug. I’ll give you a call.

Your welcome Erick. It is always good to meet another fisherman, help them out and make a new friend.

It was good to get you out on the water and show you some fishing tricks, how to run bait, tactics and locations for catching different kinds of springs. I hope, I didn't over whelm you with email info/photos and on the water info. It was allot easier to provide you fishing info because you are already a fisherman and know the basics of how fishing gear works and knots. Now you are set to go out and be more successful in the future catching salmon. See you later this month for round 2.

The $200 I charge, more or less covers the bait, the hook sets I bring and as of today maybe my fuel costs getting to the dock and home.

If anyone else is interested in getting a lesson (salmon/halibut) please contact me, I have lots of availability at this time of the year.
In Aug, I only have a few days available.

Your welcome Erick. It is always good to meet another fisherman, help them out and make a new friend.

It was good to get you out on the water and show you some fishing tricks, how to run bait, tactics and locations for catching different kinds of springs. I hope, I didn't over whelm you with email info/photos and on the water info. It was allot easier to provide you fishing info because you are already a fisherman and know the basics of how fishing gear works and knots. Now you are set to go out and be more successful in the future catching salmon. See you later this month for round 2.

The $200 I charge, more or less covers the bait, the hook sets I bring and as of today maybe my fuel costs getting to the dock and home.

If anyone else is interested in getting a lesson (salmon/halibut) please contact me, I have lots of availability at this time of the year.
In Aug, I only have a few days available.
Totally recommend Doug for any newbies! The lessons are absolutely what I needed.

Back