Bottom Paint on Powder coated Pod

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

I am planning on mooring my boat for a few months this summer. I have bottom paint on the hull but my pod is not. Is there a special process for applying anti fowl to the powder coat of the pod?

Anybody have a recommendation for which paint to use?

Thanks CPM

Trilux 2 on aluminum. Power wash, scotch brite, epoxy primer, bottom paint. Follow the coating times listed on the products. You could skip the epoxy but i prefer it.

For a few months...just pull it out once a month for a couple hours...spray bleach where there is growth...and then rinse or power wash once the bleach dissolves the green. Change your kicker oil, scrub your zincs, grease any pivot spots on engines and put it back in. It is what I have done for 30 years with my Seasport...no bottom paint on mine. Better resale one day with a unmolested hull.

The same could be said for your spelling and grammar.

Well,

I’m glad you made the observation, but you missed the irony, sarcasm and deceit.
Gunnerlove works on aluminum that lives in seawater for his occupation.

It was a grammatical hip check.

<Insert beatific emoji>

If they sand blasted the aluminum prior to powder coating then its probably ok, but how do you know if they did or not? At the very least hit the powder coat with an orbital sander to give the bottom paint some tooth to grip to. Not know what sort of prep was done prior to powder coating the best thing would be to sand or sand blast it off, the aluminum should be sanded to a 36 grit finish and painted with an epoxy primer rated for water immersion such as interlux interprotext 2000 and then coated with a bottom paint rated for aluminum such as trilux II.
Best thing to do is follow the techinical data sheet: https://www.international-yachtpain...4.1393581277.1656360403-1525516134.1655909060

Hi all so after last years, growth on the pod, I want to tackle this project this year. I bought some interlux interprotext 2000 which seems like the right product here to start with. Do I really need to sand down to bare metal on the pod? That sounds like a real painfull process. I see plenty of powder coated pods there must be solution that doesn't involve sanding it down to bare metal.. Who has a recomendation....please

Hi all so after last years, growth on the pod, I want to tackle this project this year. I bought some interlux interprotext 2000 which seems like the right product here to start with. Do I really need to sand down to bare metal on the pod? That sounds like a real painfull process. I see plenty of powder coated pods there must be solution that doesn't involve sanding it down to bare metal.. Who has a recomendation....please
Was the growth bad after a month?

The powder will eventually blister under that water line. The rest will eventually blister as well. Unless your the guy who has a trailer queen. That's a tough call. If you sand off the powder then you broke the seal basically. If you don't then your laying interprotect ontop of powder and if it starts blistering above it well then the interprotect does nothing for you at that point.

Make sure it's a bit warmed up, it was cold out when I used it and hard to smear around so I probably have 2 lbs of the junk on one prop blade

Well you won't be getting any trilux anymore. It was not the greatest paint anyway. You'll have to do 6 coats of interprotect and put on micron. At least 6 coats is what I've been told.

Back