opinions - should I remove the bottom paint on my tinny ?

TinnyTime

What say you ?

I keep it trailered, .... I bought the boat like this.

Also, if I do remove the anti-foul.... should I Shark Hyde the hull ?
The factory finish has a clear coat, but that would be removed along with the bottom paint removal (un-avoidable).

pros of removing:
- less corrosion (salt gets under the paint in spots, and corrodes it worse than if bare aluminum and kept clean)
- The bottom paint runs with the rain water and stains my trailer.

272062835_224541109785457_4852430612721797142_n.jpg

Theres a grey sealer coat UNDER the anti-foul paint which is much more difficult to remove.
I tested using an eco-friendly paint stripper.
272537022_661397208368325_715673212226622887_n.jpg

Last edited:
What say you ?

I keep it trailered, .... I bought the boat like this.

pros of removing:
- less corrosion (salt gets under the paint in spots, and corrodes it worse than if bare aluminum and kept clean)
- The bottom paint runs with the rain water and stains my trailer.

View attachment 74553

Theres a grey sealer coat UNDER the anti-foul paint.
View attachment 74554
I would, but I would also get a wrap instead of paint as well imo

I don’t think a wrap below the waterline would hold up very well on/off the trailer frequently. Only recommendation if you do decide to remove the paint is to get it blasted off it’s not a fun job there are some epoxies that can be painted on to protect from corrosion or like you say shark hide or nyalic would work.

Reviving an older thread....did you end up removing the paint? If so, how and did you use Shark hyde after? I'm in the same boat right now. I moor mine for 5 months of the year, but I'm thinking it would be far less headache to just clean the boat monthly instead of maintaining the paint and worrying about corrosion issues. I also find any chipped spots in the barrier coat seem to react with the small amount of copper in the Trilux II

Reviving an older thread....did you end up removing the paint? If so, how and did you use Shark hyde after? I'm in the same boat right now. I moor mine for 5 months of the year, but I'm thinking it would be far less headache to just clean the boat monthly instead of maintaining the paint and worrying about corrosion issues. I also find any chipped spots in the barrier coat seem to react with the small amount of copper in the Trilux II
Its on my to do list.... but haven't yet cuz it will be a BIG job.

I've only removed a test spot so far, but it didn't go so well, I need better chemical, Ive been recommended aircraft stripper.

I agree with you about the chips and making the corrosion worse in those spots with the copper in the antifoul leeching. I have this happening.

I'm not sure where you are located but langley u blast offers a soda blast for bottom paint ive seen there result on fiberglass and its amazing sure the same could be done on a tinny

I'm going the DIY route, and blasting it myself in my driveway. Either using crushed walnut shell (expensive, but real easy on the aluminum.) or chushed glass (cheap, but more aggrssive)

Got a big tarp to catch and recycle the media.

Youtube video 18 seconds
Just gave it a quick trial run so far....
Waiting for a weather window now...
Wish me luck...

Back