Boston Whaler Open Hulls........

Seafever

How much rough water can a 17ft open-type Whaler take?

And why do you see so many of them with tiller steering?

Not much lol. Fond memory's of bailing for my life out with my dad when I was a little one

They are a Terrific boat actually, mostly designed for Mooching in tidal pools and eddies, great mooching style boat that enables the fisher to take the fish all around the boat. Mant were even equipped with 50 hp tillers for mooching Campbell River, Rivers inlet etc. operated from the tiller on a lot of boats for better reaction in quick to change currents and tides, whirl pools etc etc. Even set hooks with a instant full throttle at the tiller. As for rough water they ride very high and are good in it, although its light weight throws you around a lot if trolling.

the actual Boston Whaler Brand is a very well built boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one (1977). I fish Ukee and Tofino every year and the mouth of the Fraser sometimes. I like it and trust it. Been to Big Bank a few times but mostly fish South Bank, Lighthouse and maybe SWCorner or Red Can/Cree on really rough days. It pounds going into heavy chop. 1.5m seas and 15 knots wind are very doable. 50hp 4s tiller and 15hp kicker(too big but it's what I had.) I usually get fuel in Ukee every day. $27.00 was my biggest fuel bill this year. Typically I buck out at about 17 knots and do 21 on the way back with the swells. Not as fast as the guide boat with 3 engines.
I wish I had a radar, but I do have a reflector. I run 2 batteries and electric DRs now. I have some balls in the bow to reduce porpoising. I prefer a hat to a roof, but my wife was looking for a place to lie down this summer and that I don't have. I do have a honey pot, which is a pool noodle split length wise and zapstrapped to a 5 gallon bucket.

I like to be able to sit in the back rather than half stand at a console. Lots of room to play fish. As mentioned, the tiller allows getting into tight quarters for things like mooching, which I don't do much or jigging near wash rocks and kelp beds which I do do. I went for a cheap Silver Horde Kill bag for salmon and a costco soft cooler for extra ice and bottom fish and got the big cooler out, way better.

The tiller style is a Campbell river/BC thing. These boats were all special ordered (cheaper). There are some threads about them on continuouswave

Last edited by a moderator:
How much rough water can a 17ft open-type Whaler take?

And why do you see so many of them with tiller steering?

I had a 17 ft Boston Whaler Montauk (1981) for years until I upgraded to my current 18 ft. Boston Whaler Outrage (1987). My Montauk was a terrific boat and the only reason I upgraded was that I fish Nootka a lot during the summer and wanted to ability to go further outside. Both vessels have a centre console with steering from the console, which I find very comfortable while fishing. The Montauk will take a beating and some very rough seas. You just have to know how to operate the boat (take some boating courses and get lots of experience). I have a friend who made a few modifications to his 17ft Montauk, like increasing the fuel capacity, and circumnavigated Vancouver Island with it.

While they can be swamped or capsize like any boat, they are truly unsinkable in their design. A proven, safe, durable boat for decades.

images
boston whaler.jpg

growing up in Campbell river fishing with my dad we had a 15-17 whaler with a tiller , 35 hp Johnson ,ours was dubbed the
" international eagle" as my dad worked for a heavy truck dealership in CR when I was growing up. great boat for around the Campbell river area and a lot of the lodges use them for daytrips, I would like a Montauk center console, as it would be the perfect boat for a guy who fishes solo a lot IMO.. too bad a new one is 45K .. decent shaped ones I have seen anywhere from 8-18k .. I really like them other then there is nowhere to hide from the weather I think they are pretty ideal for ECVI.. , check out yatchworld.com for some price ranges..

As a kid, I fished with my dad in a 13' BW around Cowichan Bay, Samsum Narrows, and Polier Pass. For such a small boat, it was an extremely stable fishing platform. BUT it POUNDED REALLY HARD in any kind of chop. I remember it could be really wet, windy and cold. Later he bought an 18' Dauntless center console. Very nice boat, absolute top notch fit and finish, and in many ways the perfect fishing platform: stable, walk all around the boat with no obstacles, low gunnels - great for landing fish. But what made it a great fishing hull also made it pound hard in any chop greater than a couple of feet, and could often be wet, windy and cold! Very seaworthy for a small boat, you just need to go slow in the chop, and buy cruiser suites!

rough water-- not the best, if you put weight up front, a bow on wave could easily come overthe bow, they are self bailing but a bilge pump is a help. Keep the bow up too much into the wind with not enough weight up front, and the possibility of flight and turn over is possible. Get caught in standing waves and water over the stern, does happen. They are refered to as a bay boat for a reason. Fine for calmer waters. With a tiller you can respond quickly, and reversing is good, they go where you want them. Very dry in light chop in the wind , but can be wet in heavier seas.

Definitely a wet ride but very sea worthy. I loved fishing out of them. Felt more like you were "on" the water as opposed to "in" a boat.

Boston Whalers are a very solid, stable & unsinkable. Cant find a more stable boat at trolling speeds. They are rough riding and can be a wet ride.

Probably one of the better built safer boats on the market. If I have my choice my kids will be running around in a boston whaler.

I grew up with a 13'6" with a 50hp on it and it was a great boat.

Back