Boating Instructors GREAT IDEA

Once again it has to be pointed out that Vancouver Island is not the center of the universe, there are other places in this country that people boat in and use boats. Why burden people in northern Sask that spend their lives in 14’ boats on 20 sq/m lakes with unnecessary certifications. There are a million boats launches across this country that are nothing more than a sand beach cut out of the pine trees for access. Why would you burden someone like that with 3 days of open sea boating information, absolutely zero relatable information.
This reminds me of when I did my PCOC course/test. I was shocked at how much of it focused on stuff specific to the Great Lakes. How the *F* is this relevant to me? I can guarantee that in my lifetime I will NEVER boat in the great lakes. I can't imagine a scenario where this would be the case.

The course should be tailored to this. Have the great lakes as an Optional add-on or endorsement (similar to getting Air Brakes on your Class 3). If you want the privilege of boating in the Great Lakes, you pay a little extra, you get exposed to that part of the course, and its taken into account on the exam. You then get the associated endorsement on your card. Instead, when us West Coasters do the test, it just adds more unnecessary complexity to the whole process (not that the PCOC was hard, but still. Why do I have to learn something that will never be relevant).

In my experience, six months after doing either of those courses, the overwhelming majority of people mandated to take them only remember anything if they are required to use some specific aspect of it on an ongoing basis

This is totally true. I did my PCOC about 3 years before I bought a boat, in anticipation of getting a boat. When I finally bought one last year, I had forgotten much of the course. Now, in my case, I went through all the course material again as a refresher, but when not needing to use anything I had learned, I easily forgot much of it.

I think the PCOC should probably have to be renewed every few years, rather than a lifetime thing. For instance, I know a lot now, but I can guarantee I do not remember 100% of everything. Certain buoy markings have probably slipped my mind as I never encounter them, etc. Maybe a renewal every 5 years would be a good idea - although, if I was forced to do it I know I'd complain about it...

This is totally true. I did my PCOC about 3 years before I bought a boat, in anticipation of getting a boat. When I finally bought one last year, I had forgotten much of the course. Now, in my case, I went through all the course material again as a refresher, but when not needing to use anything I had learned, I easily forgot much of it.

I think the PCOC should probably have to be renewed every few years, rather than a lifetime thing. For instance, I know a lot now, but I can guarantee I do not remember 100% of everything. Certain buoy markings have probably slipped my mind as I never encounter them, etc. Maybe a renewal every 5 years would be a good idea - although, if I was forced to do it I know I'd complain about it...
Call me OCD but there are American, on-line qualification courses that are great. I do them occasionally just for giggles but it keeps me current. Most boating and navigation rules are international.

I thought about looking into some sort of "on my own boat training" when I first got my boat last year, but I never really took it very far. Today I feel like in the past year I have learned a LOT, much of which was from this very forum, as well as some relevant facebook groups I'm on, and from some friends. Nothing official though, aside from the basic course to get my PCOC.

If a hands on boating course was mandatory, that would be a great idea. Most (including myself) would probably complain about having to do it, BUT at least anyone out on the water would have done it - at least a bit safer for everyone. (I am always surprised when I am out fishing or whatever, how few people even know who has the right of way! This is basic important knowledge!

Luckily for me, my mistakes have been minor, and I have learned from them. For anyone new, here are my newb screwups I had when I was first learning, so hopefully you don't make the same ones :) :

- Forgetting to put the plug in when launching (twice the boat was still on the trailer when I noticed it, so just pulled out, drained, and stuck the plug in. Once I didn't notice till I parked the trailer and walked down and saw the bilge just blasting water out the side! Was summer, and boat was beached at Kitty, so just walked around, got wet, put in the plug and waited for the bilge to finish doing its thing. I put the plug in before I leave home now!
- Had a couple times where I pulled the boat out and forgot to tilt the motors up. While it was VERY close, got lucky and never dragged the leg.
- Similarly have pulled out of the driveway a couple times forgetting to tilt the tongue jack up. Could feel the pain from my tongue wheel!
- I was waiting for friends at the Comox Marina, there was nobody at the dock so I was practicing moving sideways (a skill I have yet to master, but am getting better at). I accidently gave a bit too much juice in FW with my motor turned the wrong way and slammed in the dock. Luckily, all that happened was a small scratch on the hull, but nothing bad at all. (I have never practiced this move with other boats around - except for when I need to)
- And the potentially worst, Almost getting beached on mud in the middle of Comox Harbour! (ALMOST). Was going to go up the Puntledge river. Passed the one green marker to my left, but didn't turn enough to line up with the following set of markers, and veered off course on plane. This could have ended VERY badly, but I managed (JUST in time, to slow down - at that time my sounder came back online and I saw the depth reading drop from 9' down to 2' in a matter of a second, looked over and the ground was WAY too close. Cut the motor just as my prop grazed the mud. (sanded the paint off the outer edge of the prop, but no dings/knicks). VERY fortunate that we didn't get stuck or do any real damage. It was just before a VERY low tide, would have been stuck out there for hours. I luckily had just enough water to be able to trim up, and putt back into the channel. Lost a few years of life in my heart after that one!

These are all mistakes I don't make any more, mostly rookie moves that for the most part have not been repeated. Life lessons for sure, but mostly are due to lack of experience or being forgetful. In all cases I basically knew what I was doing, but managed to screwup. Something only life can really teach you. Most of these errors are things you don't forget - screw up once and you will never do it again! It has been a long time since I have made a stupid mistake, hopefully they are all behind me :)
I did find someone to work with me on my boat, my previous boat was smaller and I always trailered so not quite a big deal. I had never been shown the basics on docking a boat and did not want to learn the hard way. Yes I watched videos etc, but that of course is not the same. This guy came to my boat (He works with the Coast Guard and RCMP) and for a few hours he gave me pointers and showed me a lot of tips and practical training, it is some of the best money I spent.

Back