Boat Purchase

RuhtraSamoht

Hey All

So I've officially hit that moment in my life where a boat purchase is pretty much guaranteed in the next little bit.
I recently rented a boat from Pedder Bay (16ft Double Eagle) and absolutely loved the way it handled. I've been looking at a few Double Eagles and Hourstons and I'm pretty convinced this is the route I want to go.
From everything I've seen online I noticed alot of them do need work. Realistically how much would it cost to fully refit one? I'm talking new transom, stringers, floor, paint. Essentially making it a brand new hull?
And yes before any of you say just buy a newer boat I want to say I'm pretty sold on an older looking boat.
My budget all in is 20K and that's going to include buying the boat and refitting it.
Any advice?

F4F

20k finding a good boat will be tough but be patient. Set up Facebook, craigslist and used Victoria alerts and be ready with cash.

Look for a ”cream puff” a never bottom painted boat with a clean engine and top. If you can find one for 15k to have 5k for repairs or to buy a kicker or used main engine. Lots of crap out there especially if the owner has only owned it for a short time. Keep renting it is cheap!

20k finding a good boat will be tough but be patient. Set up Facebook, craigslist and used Victoria alerts and be ready with cash.

Look for a ”cream puff” a never bottom painted boat with a clean engine and top. If you can find one for 15k to have 5k for repairs or to buy a kicker or used main engine. Lots of crap out there especially if the owner has only owned it for a short time. Keep renting it is cheap!
Yup renting will save you a lot of money and headaches unless you spend far more time on the water than typical folks.

Definitely a few good ones, pretty crazy market out there right now and with boating season coming up it’s only going to get more crazy but that doesn’t mean you won’t find one just be ready to buy at a moments notice obviously go over the boat really well checking the transom/floors for soft spots or have someone experienced with boats go with you. I picked up my 17’ hourston 2 years ago for a bit under $10k it’s got a 4 stroke 115 main a new kicker and came with all the gear absolutely rock solid boat. Here’s a clean 16’ double eagle looks to be in great shape low hours pretty
Pricey but could be worth a look.

We started out renting at Pedder Bay as well, great fun and quickly realized boating was in our blood. Started looking for a boat and got into our first one, a solid K&C 17', with reliable 2 stroke 1970s power, as our starter, for $4k. That same boat now is certainly more, but really, that kind of boat is perfect. Granted you probably want newer power, ideally 4 stroke, but I believe you can find something to get started with. Be patient, rent in the interim, something will eventually come along.

Could be a contender, cheap enough with a decent motor lots of money for mods/slowly fix it up to your liking

Back