Boat heaters. Which one did you use?

Gham

Crew Member
Hi All,

I’m looking to ad heat to my 18’ Hourston. I’ve got a Wabasto diesel heater in my big boat and it works awesome. I’ve been looking around and trying to decide on what one to get for the small boat. It’s a soft top so I want something that can put out a decent amount of heat, and permanently installed. Currently using the propane Mr. Buddy heater but it’s not very safe with kids.

Chinese diesel heater. They're copies of espar/webastos for around 200 bucks from Amazon or eBay. You'll have to buy a few parts to make it work for a boat installation but it's much cheaper than the webasto.

This is a good unit if you're okay with propane heat.
Way more heat than a buddy, although it's not gonna be kid friendly.

1639260825841.png

Hi All,

I’m looking to ad heat to my 18’ Hourston. I’ve got a Wabasto diesel heater in my big boat and it works awesome. I’ve been looking around and trying to decide on what one to get for the small boat. It’s a soft top so I want something that can put out a decent amount of heat, and permanently installed. Currently using the propane Mr. Buddy heater but it’s not very safe with kids.
Chinese 5kw in 18’ Hourston port gunnel mid ship. Been too busy to finish up install 100% extended the controller wires to the dash tank sits out of the way behind a cooler/seat. 2 outlets on the port side one faces the windshield the other towards the floor. The boat is also a soft top throws a good amount of heat might add a 3rd outlet into the front area if needed looking forward to fog free windows!

Attachments

• 010C33BE-B8E1-4C3D-AF3A-EFF1C9BAAB6F.jpeg
    010C33BE-B8E1-4C3D-AF3A-EFF1C9BAAB6F.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 207
  • D8E58A81-12EB-49B3-973A-FED8131DA44E.jpeg
    D8E58A81-12EB-49B3-973A-FED8131DA44E.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 2E28FF28-AB7F-4703-9798-9C1BFDE5EA58.jpeg
    2E28FF28-AB7F-4703-9798-9C1BFDE5EA58.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 33319D42-9CA1-4A7C-83C5-B0A5E1B70854.jpeg
    33319D42-9CA1-4A7C-83C5-B0A5E1B70854.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
This is a good unit if you're okay with propane heat.
Way more heat than a buddy, although it's not gonna be kid friendly.

View attachment 72967

I have been out nearly everyday this week in a new to me boat. For a quick heat source I got one of these and just about lit myself on fire . Got a little close with the rain gear. It’s gets really hot but I’d recommend a proper diesel heater for your hourston.

I have been out nearly everyday this week in a new to me boat. For a quick heat source I got one of these and just about lit myself on fire . Got a little close with the rain gear. It’s gets really hot but I’d recommend a proper diesel heater for your hourston.
Yep, good heat source but you have to be careful

Chinese 5kw in 18’ Hourston port gunnel mid ship. Been too busy to finish up install 100% extended the controller wires to the dash tank sits out of the way behind a cooler/seat. 2 outlets on the port side one faces the windshield the other towards the floor. The boat is also a soft top throws a good amount of heat might add a 3rd outlet into the front area if needed looking forward to fog
Chinese 5kw in 18’ Hourston port gunnel mid ship. Been too busy to finish up install 100% extended the controller wires to the dash tank sits out of the way behind a cooler/seat. 2 outlets on the port side one faces the windshield the other towards the floor. The boat is also a soft top throws a good amount of heat might add a 3rd outlet into the front area if needed looking forward to fog free windows!

Nice job. I’m leaning towards going that route. Which heater did you get? Any chance you have a template still for the bracket?

Nice job. I’m leaning towards going that route. Which heater did you get? Any chance you have a template still for the bracket?
I can make you a mount yes just send me a pm. I went with vevor brand can send you a link.

I just use a portable heater. The Mr heater works great for smaller boats. Not expensive either.

Good timing on your recommendation , I just decided to get one of these two days ago and Canadian Tire has them for $149. My plan is to make a base that will keep it in place during travel and lumpy weather, that can be secured with a couple screws and removed if necessary. Cheers

Good timing on your recommendation , I just decided to get one of these two days ago and Canadian Tire has them for $149. My plan is to make a base that will keep it in place during travel and lumpy weather, that can be secured with a couple screws and removed if necessary. Cheers

I kind of like the option because your not married to having just in boat. Comes in handy and can be stowed away easy. It turns off as well if it tips over etc.

I like the Mister Buddy as well. London Drugs had them on sale a few times for like $79

I can make you a mount yes just send me a pm. I went with vevor brand can send you a link.
I put in a generic Chinese diesel heater about 18 months ago. It was a fair bit of work running the ducting and exhaust but the rest was simple. I did upgrade a few things: a proper, metal fuel tank, a marine rated fuel hose and a coaxial exhaust tube to a marine exhaust vent. So far, it's been great. That Vevor deal is exceptional. I want one just for the parts.

The Diesel heaters are safer than any other type of fuel source. Much lower chance of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. (but still possible ). chuck a Carbon monoxide alarm in your seating area. We lose a couple of fisherman every year from Carbon Monoxide poisonings , a $50. buck detector is cheap insurance!

As per @Brando ’s recommendations I ordered the Chinese 5kw heater. Hoping to instal it early in the new year. Really like the idea of having hot dry air vs the damp propane heat from the Mr. Buddy heater.
Do you have a link for what you ordered?

Back