First time boat hunter

Noob

Hi all, I’m new to boat hunting with a low budget ($15,000), curious to get some insight on what route to take.

The main purpose will be taking the family out and do some crabbing and fishing around the inlet (and hope to go further once I get more experienced). I’ve been doing some research but not sure I’m crazy for going down these routes.

1) new plastic boats (polycraft and whaly 500) - seems to be in line with the budget and I believe they’re safe enough for the inlet. Light weight and durable. I suppose good for beginner

2) new or used aluminum boats (Lund or Lowe)- more common on the west coast it seems. Light weight as well and seems to be a good beginner boat. However I believe the boat may not be as stable as plastic boats but comments are welcome.

3) used fibre glass. Haven’t done too much research on this but I’m not super handy so afraid to buy something that requires lot of work.
Any recommendation and feedback are welcome but I’m currently leaning towards plastic (which most likely means I have to get this shipped from the east) am I crazy?!

thank you in advance

I’ve never seen a plastic boat on the Chuck, except for the one @Gham saved the guy from a couple of months back. (Capsized)

boat prices are nuts right now so $15k doesn’t get you even close to what it did pre covid money.

You can possibly jump on a double eagle or hourston if it comes up, but it will have a lineup within minutes of being posted.

The 14-16’ Lund is probably your best bet at this point and pick the nicest days to go out. Lots of those who use them swear by them!

good luck with the hunt!

A 17 ft whaler would work just fine. You should be able to get one for your budget. And also can be pushed by a motor as small as a 50 hp which makes for cheap boating.

I would recommend going with a 14 to 17 hourston or double eagle as they would get you the furthest at your price point and would let you learn a lot for the future if you want to upgrade eventually.

A 17 ft whaler would work just fine. You should be able to get one for your budget. And also can be pushed by a motor as small as a 50 hp which makes for cheap boating.

Go buy this! 17ft Montauk with lease-return Merc 90 4-stroke on a trailer for $14,000

17wh.jpg

Which inlet and how big is the family? I would look for a 14-18 foot Double Eagle, Hoston or a StarCraft “cream puff” garage kept with no bottom paint. Must haves for me is a good catop with sides, hopefully a zip drop curtain. Love that whaler but it will be used way less by most people due to being exposed to wind, rain and cold.

If the bottom is painted then you’ll want to know if it was moored and if there is soft Fiberglass floors or transom.
C-dory and Arimas are good bets but you might want another )$10k for most hose but good finds from Maxpri.

One advantage an aluminum boat like the Lund is it is easy to pull up on the ramp while your partner loads the kids in the car. It won’t damage as easily as fiberglass.

Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated. Family of 4 around the burrard inlet is where I plan to start. I see most recommendations are related to old fibre glass boats. Is the norm to get a survey done ( based on what I’ve read)? Would I get someone to view the boat with me? Or ask seller that I want a survey done on the boat where I have to tow it to whoever that’s available ? Sorry for the dumb questions

Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated. Family of 4 around the burrard inlet is where I plan to start. I see most recommendations are related to old fibre glass boats. Is the norm to get a survey done ( based on what I’ve read)? Would I get someone to view the boat with me? Or ask seller that I want a survey done on the boat where I have to tow it to whoever that’s available ? Sorry for the dumb questions
Not dumb questions, contact a marine surveyor (might be hard right now as just about everyone I can think of is pretty booked). If you can get a surveyor that has time they will go to wherever the boat is being sold and look over the boat. You don't have to get a survey done but for a first-timer, it's a good idea.

A lot of what a surveyor does is inspecting for rotted wood. The use of wood is very common in FG boats; AL less so. With an older boar, resolving rotten wood issues often cost more than the boat is worth. Be very careful in what you buy. Lower end boats like Bayliner are cheaper for a reason; they will get rotten sooner.
Your price range mens either an older boat or a newer one that is probably too small.
The motor is the most expensive part; new O/B's are around $120 per horsepower. AL boats are about 30% lighter than their FG counterparts so AL boats cost less to power & use less gas.
Some FG boats do not have wooden stringers (reinforcements bonded to the inside of the hull) but may have wood in the transom.

A survey is certainly not a bad idea, but in this market with a line-up for every quality used boat at a good price, if you ask for a survey the seller might just say "next" because, well, they can. They will go for the easiest quickest sale, and in this market chances are there is someone in every line with a wad of cash ready to just take it as-is.

That whaler above is perfect for ripping up the Arm, it's likely sold already but we started the same way, launching out of the circus that is Cates Park.

Be careful...when you are looking to buy a used boat and motor, it's all about the condition of the hull, the transom and motor.
Sounds like a 16' used fiberglass (or aluminum) boat might work for your family.
If you are careful and lucky you might get a reliable used motor on it that will last you up to 10 years?
A new transom on an old fibreglass boat will set you back 3 or 4 thousand and a new motor $8 to $14,000 and on it goes from there.
Always a good idea to have a kicker if your main fails. MORE MONEY
Everyone these days wants to be on the water, but they often don't know the real costs!

Always a good idea to have a kicker if your main fails. MORE MONEY
Everyone these days wants to be on the water, but they often don't know the real costs!

I second this. I have never had my main let me down, but having that kicker, even if you never end up having to use it as an emergency AUX, gives great peace of mind! As with most, I got mine for economical trolling, but of course the backup power makes me feel more comfortable.

Back