Autopilot and Verados

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
Im currently in the midst of deciding on an autopilot for my boat. I’ve got a 300 verado tied to a 15 merc pro. I have a Itroll already installed but would not be against removing it if it requires. I’m looking for an all in one system with a remote and would prefer to turn the main instead of the kicker. I also have to work around the verado power steering pump. I have a Garmin head unit but am thinking about going back to Lowrance if needed. Does anyone here run an autopilot with the Verado system? If so, what do you have? I’m aware of the bypass for the verado power steering pump and a 2nd helm is out of the question as well. Getting tired of running back to the rods and it’s a pain fishing in the wind by myself.

Why is a second helm out of the question Matt my buddy has the same boat and has one

Why is a second helm out of the question Matt my buddy has the same boat and has one
I want to get away from running the power steering pump. It has a crazy draw on the batteries along with being expensive to replace. I’ve already replaced it once.

I want to get away from running the power steering pump. It has a crazy draw on the batteries along with being expensive to replace. I’ve already replaced it once.
Is there a way to put a switch on power steering pump so it’s not running or is it to hard to turn with it off

Is there a way to put a switch on power steering pump so it’s not running or is it to hard to turn with it off
It’s a huge pain in the butt to turn no matter what speed I’m going. I spent 2 days in the Shuswap with it not on after my pump went.

You can replace the Verado power steering pump with a Seastar pump. The Seastar only draws power when it is in use. There are just a couple fittings to change from the Sea Star 3/8 tube to the Mercury (U-flex) ORFS on the rams.

Don't forget that you will also need a separate autopilot pump (not to mention a heading sensor if not already installed and the autopilot head unit).

The autopilot and your MFD don't have to be from the same brands. All of the information (routes, heading, etc.) is shared over NMEA2k and is interchangeable between manufacturers. In my case I have a Garmin autopilot that was left on the boat when the previous owner switched over the other equipment to Furuno. Works fine. The only functionality you lose is the ability to control the autopilot (start route, hold heading, cancel) through your MFD, but I've never felt the need to do so - the autopilot head unit works fine.

Using your autopilot when trolling does have some limitations. When trolling, I find it most useful for keeping the boat heading in a straight line for a short period of time (i.e. 5 minutes or so) - dropping the gear, getting some food, playing a fish, etc. If it is windy or you are in an area with strong currents, its going to struggle to hold course. As long as you are not expecting to plot your trolling course and let the autopilot do its thing for 30 minutes you won't be disappointed.

You can replace the Verado power steering pump with a Seastar pump. The Seastar only draws power when it is in use. There are just a couple fittings to change from the Sea Star 3/8 tube to the Mercury (U-flex) ORFS on the rams.

Don't forget that you will also need a separate autopilot pump (not to mention a heading sensor if not already installed and the autopilot head unit).

The autopilot and your MFD don't have to be from the same brands. All of the information (routes, heading, etc.) is shared over NMEA2k and is interchangeable between manufacturers. In my case I have a Garmin autopilot that was left on the boat when the previous owner switched over the other equipment to Furuno. Works fine. The only functionality you lose is the ability to control the autopilot (start route, hold heading, cancel) through your MFD, but I've never felt the need to do so - the autopilot head unit works fine.

Using your autopilot when trolling does have some limitations. When trolling, I find it most useful for keeping the boat heading in a straight line for a short period of time (i.e. 5 minutes or so) - dropping the gear, getting some food, playing a fish, etc. If it is windy or you are in an area with strong currents, its going to struggle to hold course. As long as you are not expecting to plot your trolling course and let the autopilot do its thing for 30 minutes you won't be disappointed.

I believe you would need to change your helm as well if you want to go to the SeaStar solution. Seastar is two hoses only from helm, Verado is more. Bring money for the conversion. Otherwise;

The guys at River City Marine in Abbotsford have lots of experience rigging the Verados and kickers for local guide boats and would be a good source for you if you are local to the lower mainland. Talk to Corey there @ River City. They set up a Grady 282 for us with twin Verados and a 15hp kicker and that was with Raymarine MFD and pilot. Worked great. They had the power steering working without running the mains, of course you have to keep an eye on the battery level and if it gets low run the main for a while.

I believe you would need to change your helm as well if you want to go to the SeaStar solution. Seastar is two hoses only from helm, Verado is more. Bring money for the conversion. Otherwise;

The guys at River City Marine in Abbotsford have lots of experience rigging the Verados and kickers for local guide boats and would be a good source for you if you are local to the lower mainland. Talk to Corey there @ River City. They set up a Grady 282 for us with twin Verados and a 15hp kicker and that was with Raymarine MFD and pilot. Worked great. They had the power steering working without running the mains, of course you have to keep an eye on the battery level and if it gets low run the main for a while.

Good point about the helm - I forgot about that. Not cheap to switch over.

I have the solenoid installed that runs the pump while the big motor is off but like you said, it’s a drain on the battery even with the larger output of the 15main. Garmin quoted me almost 6 grand. Seems as though I could start fresh with Lowrance and it would be cheaper.

I have 300 vrod and 15 merc pro tie barred together. I don’t have the power steering. I’ve been running the simrad autopilot (medium pack) for 2 years and love it. If you go that route you will need to have a simrad MFD if you want to be able to control the pilot that way as well besides the dedicated ap44 control or handsfree Bluetooth remotes. I use it for trolling as well.

To echo fishin solo you really do not need power steering for a single 300 verado . Lots of people have run a standard Teleflex hydraulic steering with a couple of adapters for connection to the mercury ram. I had this setup on a 300 verado on my 228 grady for 6 or 8 years because we trolled off a kicker. No way can your kicker keep up to the draw at rest. The only downside to this arrangement is slightly tighter steering.....

The Teleflex steering upgrade is not cheap and really you don't need it your rig.

Just my two cents.

I run 225 verado and 15hp pro kicker as well. What did you end up doing about your steering? I just replaced my rectifier in my 15hp pro kicker as it couldn't keep up (didnt help) and now I need to replace my batteries, in Hope's it will help. But my batteries keep dying from the downriggers and power steering pump. They just started dieing in the last 50 hours on the boat, batteries are 7 years old and the boat has a total of 200hrs now. I have been trolling with main motor sometimes as I was sick of turning it off and on all the time to keep it charged up, may as well keep it running and ensure batteries wont die.

I run 225 verado and 15hp pro kicker as well. What did you end up doing about your steering? I just replaced my rectifier in my 15hp pro kicker as it couldn't keep up (didnt help) and now I need to replace my batteries, in Hope's it will help. But my batteries keep dying from the downriggers and power steering pump. They just started dieing in the last 50 hours on the boat, batteries are 7 years old and the boat has a total of 200hrs now. I have been trolling with main motor sometimes as I was sick of turning it off and on all the time to keep it charged up, may as well keep it running and ensure batteries wont die.

I put in a lowrance autopilot. Problem solved.

Back