Help me value my boat!

Gham

Crew Member
Hi all,

I was about to post my Hourston up forsale but a family member wants it…. Help a guy out and let me know what you think it’s worth.
Boat is 1989 17’ Hourston. I stripped the boat of everything and replaced with new in Spring 2018.
Currently has 550 hrs on main and 600 hrs on the kicker. Motors are 2017 Suzuki 140 and 2015 Yamaha 9.9. The Suzuki is still under warranty.

Boat is turn key ready to go. I’ve spent around $35k on the refit.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 37406C49-95F1-43C0-B95A-BB27D4C774B8.jpeg
    37406C49-95F1-43C0-B95A-BB27D4C774B8.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 133
Did you redo the stringers and transom?No bottom paint so maybe there aren’t any issues from being moored. Including the downriggers and radar? Pretty rare to find such a nicely outfitted boat with what looks like a full stand up canvas over 6 feet. Lots of guys look down on older hulls but we can see what amazing work goes into remaking one as good or better than new. I would guess mid 40’s but guys are asking 40k for aluminum 16 foot centre console without radar.

I didn’t touch the hull. I put an in floor aluminum fish locker in and inspected the transom and they are solid. Riggers included but will probably swap the radar to my new boat. Canvass has 6’2” headroom in the center.
Thanks for your opinion! My bro in law was hoping to get it off me in the $25k ish range.

I didn’t touch the hull. I put an in floor aluminum fish locker in and inspected the transom and they are solid. Riggers included but will probably swap the radar to my new boat. Canvass has 6’2” headroom in the center.
Thanks for your opinion! My bro in law was hoping to get it off me in the $25k ish range.
I think that’s a fair price. You may get a bit more on the market but you will also have to deal with the hassle of meeting people.. keeping it in the family counts for something too

Yeah. I agree. $30k on the market but a family price of $25k to make room in your driveway without a bunch of weirdos calling you and poking around.
You knew you weren’t going to make your money back on the refit but you got some great years out of it and you didn’t take a shat kacking on it.

I’d be alright with a bunch of weirdos calling me for a couple days for an extra 5 nickles. That boat would sell easy. Maybe meet in the middle?

I’d sell it to my brother for 30k no kicker or radar. Over 5k including taxes likely to replace both, and very useful when buying a new boat. I bought a boat with a radar and it immediately needed a $300 fix, glad I kept my old radar. That 140hp is as bullet proof power as you can get, likely to heavy with both engines anyways so you’ll be doing him a favour ;)

How much hp is a 17’ hourston rated for? Seems like you have a lot of weight hanging off the back. Any pics of it in the water?

Here are two comparable listings.

Both have been for sale for over a week so probably both a bit overpriced. Your boats somewhere between these two I’d think.

If we assume top boat sells for 30k and bottom for 15 (which still feels high to me) then I’d value yours in the 18-22k range.

Here are two comparable listings.

Both have been for sale for over a week so probably both a bit overpriced. Your boats somewhere between these two I’d think.

If we assume top boat sells for 30k and bottom for 15 (which still feels high to me) then I’d value yours in the 18-22k range.
That Hourston is a nice package. Surprised it hasn’t sold actually

That Hourston is a nice package. Surprised it hasn’t sold actually
Looked at it with cash in hand.
1- underpowered and it had a 14x22 on there which is super odd. Nice fellow that owned it but wasn't knowledgeable.
2- when they podded it they left a selection of holes in the deck and didn't seal them. Then they screwed the aluminum plate down over the old dog house without sealing the screws. Took the plate off with regularity to check it out. The starboard stringer is delaminted and you can hear the water sloshing around when you tap it as there's screw holes right into the stringer.
3- moisture meter went crazy under the transom boot for the fuel lines. Wasn't mushy yet but it was wet.

I really wanted that thing. Just couldn't stomach the rebuild coming down the pipe that costs 20g (I dont have skills with glass like some of you). If it was the 150 zuk I would have gone for it and just expected a mid term rebuild.

Hull was in great esthetic shape...

I’ll stick to my $25-30k
That’s a pretty new top and it’s all stainless not aluminum. Only a few years on the trailer, newer fuel tank and fish locker Even with no radar that’s a nice custom tower with rod holders.
Most importantly, that’s one of the better motors in the size range with 1000’s of hours left in it.

Back