black boxes

nedarb2

whats the difference between the pro troll black boxes and scotty one, just quality in manufacturing?
how much should i be able to find a used scotty black box for?
thanks

how much for that protroll?
thats the other thing i was considering, the braided line, i may as well be neutral in the water if im not giving off "attractove" voltage

$75 bud i live in nanaimo and am working in sooke right now, bringing the boat down this week i hear the coho's are a biting.were staying at sunnyshores nedarb2 cheers brit.

thanks for the reply mt,
sorry cant afford it right now cuz i just bought too much stuff for the boat,
awesome deal though :)

I heard that the Scotty has higher amperage but both have same volts. I have the Pro-Troll, only turned it on once or twice this year to see what natural voltage was. My boat and DR wire were good so I don’t use it much anymore. Spoke to a guy at the launch this year and he had wire coming out of his outboard and clipping to his DR’s must have been blasting power down there. He claimed to be getting lots of fish and I don’t doubt him. Would have loved to see how he hooked it up. GLG

The Pro-Troll and the Scotty are basically the same so go for the Pro-Troll...way cheaper. Although you can easily bring your voltage down to a more favourable .6 volts range using extra zincs, buying the black box is a decent one time investment.

The black box does not "attract" fish but it does enusre that the voltage in your boat is not turing fish away. Many boats natually give off an acceptable voltage (about .6 to .7 volts) and I believe that this does make a difference. Even if you don't buy a black box use a volt meter to check the voltage on your down rigger cables from time to time. At least you will know your boats natural voltage at that time. Keep in mind that the voltage will change during the course of your fishing day.

Don't know about the Scotty but the Pro-troll does not do well with skywater. Toasted mine this summer after a few days exposure.

My bad, they tell you it's not waterproof.

ProTrolls are very poorly made seen a couple of them that didn't even work out of the box.

Buy from a reputable retailer so you have no probs taking it back.

I'd just listen to CA, buys some dynema braided line for your riggers, it has alot of advantages over cable, you'll have less to worry about.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

ProTrolls are very poorly made seen a couple of them that didn't even work out of the box.

Buy from a reputable retailer so you have no probs taking it back.

I bought a Pro-Troll at the beginning of the season and I feel I wasted my money. Tried it for a few days, and afterwards I never used it again because I found it a hassle. That thing is very poorly made, and I think that the saying "you get what you paid for" applies here.

I don't think I will buy Pro-Troll products anymore. [V]

I have a pro-troll. In testing its readings, I found it is .075 mV low, so whatever reading it shows you have to add .075 to get the actual reading. So, my advice whichever you're using, scotty or pro-troll, get a digital voltmeter and confirm the readings are correct.

Someone told me that having it wired through a fuse box or common ground can make a difference, ideally you want it wired direct to battery with an in-line fuse. I haven't tried that yet.

Whether I believe in the voodoo or not is a good question. I got it in the "can't hurt" category. I believe if your boat is excessively hot, it can repel fish, but I'm not sure I'm convinced you dialing in the right voltage actually attracts different species. It did help in diagnosing my main motor needed a zinc though, with readings down around .400.

I'm searching for replacement boat right now, and I think when I sell mine, I'm going to throw the blackbox in, and just get braided line instead. At least then you're neutral, and the line is an improvement over steel wire.

Scotty vs ProTroll difference is about 3-400 bucks
Its only money I guess, and like Juandesooka said "it can't hurt"to have
Some of my buddies swear by them thats why i got one ...haven't noticed a difference in catching.
cheers
vic

I have used a pro-troll for about 4 years now. I do not think it attracts fish but it helps your boat, not repell fish. The scotties are better quality but the price difference is like 3-400 bucks.I paid 50 on ebay for mine.

exactly, boats can and often have poor voltage and a BB can help fix that. For $100 its a no brainer to me, I spend waaaay more then that on flashers and teaser heads that barely even touched water all year.

I fish on three different boats. One whith a black box and two without . My boat does not have one and I make sure the voltage is under 7 milli volts with steelwire ,lots of fish. Another one has no box braided line realy low natural voltage and lots of fish . Third boat has a box steel line and off course lots of fish. It is more important just to make sure your voltage isn't repelling fish .

Back