How much risk in buying used downriggers?

I was thinking Trevor's price was close to the new price at some sales right now.
Yup, you're right.
Trevor's equipment doesn't include a swivel base, nor some of the other small hardware that comes with a new 2106 kit that I'd need to install this on my boat. His does include orca holders, extensions, clip and weight. I looked at Canadian Tire prices for the Scotty swivel mount ($120) and hardware (~$50). So for me his price becomes ~$820

@JWS was right and Parksville Boathouse has the 2106 on sale for $719, which is a super good price.

So I'll go new, because $720+sales tax is $806. I only get the regular rod master rod holder instead of the orcas, plus I'll need weight and a clip, say another $80-$100 but it's basically the same prices as Trevor's, yet it is brand new gear.

Trevor doesn't want to drop his price, which is his perogative. I asked Duncan Gone Fish'n to price match Parksville's $719 but they said no.. the sales rep claims they are selling the 2106 for $900 in Victoria. So get'm from Parksville while you can! (they have 100)

Thanks everyone, my education in downriggers continues..

Sounds like Parksville boathouse is the place to pull the trigger, new is the way to go if they are the same price. I like the HP but my buddy who has caught way more fish than I ever will says the original 1116 is the best piece of fishing/boating gear ever made and I have trouble arguing with that unless you fish deep than the HP’s are the way to go.

Yup, you're right.
Trevor's equipment doesn't include a swivel base, nor some of the other small hardware that comes with a new 2106 kit that I'd need to install this on my boat. His does include orca holders, extensions, clip and weight. I looked at Canadian Tire prices for the Scotty swivel mount ($120) and hardware (~$50). So for me his price becomes ~$820

@JWS was right and Parksville Boathouse has the 2106 on sale for $719, which is a super good price.

So I'll go new, because $720+sales tax is $806. I only get the regular rod master rod holder instead of the orcas, plus I'll need weight and a clip, say another $80-$100 but it's basically the same prices as Trevor's, yet it is brand new gear.

Trevor doesn't want to drop his price, which is his perogative. I asked Duncan Gone Fish'n to price match Parksville's $719 but they said no.. the sales rep claims they are selling the 2106 for $900 in Victoria. So get'm from Parksville while you can! (they have 100)

Thanks everyone, my education in downriggers continues..
Make sure u use your credit card :) :)

I plan to put downriggers on my boat over the winter, and I've never used downriggers previously. There is a listing for 3 year old Scotty 2106 downriggers and I'm wondering how much risk there is in buying these? Are they likely to be just fine, or if something is off, easily and cheaply repaired? Or is the recommendation to just purchase new? I can afford new, but obviously paying far less for 3 year old would be preferred.
I bought a boat with 20-year-old 1106's and took them in to Scotty in Sidney and had them inspect them (no cost) and they gave them back a week later indicating they were in good working order. Cleaned them up with some 3M Marine Vinyl Conditioner so they look new, swapped out the old cable for new, replaced the old short arms with new 60" arms, installed a swivel mount, and have never had an any problems with them. You can buy most parts for them anywhere. This year I'm I'm pulling 18lb balls and was thinking I'll do some preventative maintenance and spend ~$65 to replace the Marinco Plug and Receptacle.

Jan 10 Follow-up comment: One of the telescoping 60" booms on one of my downriggers wasn't staying extended for me and was on my list of boat-related repairs that needed to be completed before next season. Last night I looked up Scotty's website and used the Contact form to explain the problem and asked if they figured it could be fixed or had to be replaced. I received an email back this morning from John at Scotty advising it could be easily repaired with a minor part that he put in the mail to me today - at no charge despite my offering. He included a schematic of the boom and an explanation of how to install the new part. They manufacture a durable product that efficiently gets the job done and their customer service is simply outstanding - that's my experience.

Last edited:
Back