Targeting Black Cod

saanauk

Just wondering if and how people are targeting Black Cod. I would like to give it a try and looking for some pointers. Thanks.

I fished on several commie black cod boats back in the day. We used both auto baiters and tub gear (snap-on) , but we always targeted them in deep water, the deeper the better. Losing gear was common, especially on steep drop-offs. The bait was typically squid or octopus—bait like herring will work but you need something that will stick on a hook to survive that type of deep-dropping and the currents.

As you know, you’ll occasionally get juveniles in shallow waters but to consistently get adults, you’ll have to focus efforts starting in 700 -800 feet. The deeper you go, the more consistently you’ll catch them. Some guys go down 1,400 - 1,800 feet and say that’s the most consistent for the larger adults

There are lodges in Alaska that target them and they all pretty much use electric reels so their clients don’t get to beat-up reeling fish up through such a deep water column

This from one of their websites:

Deep Sea Drifting

When we go out and fish past 800 feet of water, we are typically always drifting. We typically keep one of the outboards on and back down on the drift as needed to keep our lines from scoping too far behind the boat. Also, we use heavier lead weights (3 or 4 lbs) to help get our baits down quicker and to decrease the scope in the line.

Another fishing style we utilize while fishing out deep is using a sea anchor. Utilizing the sea anchor helps slow down the boat's drift and keeps our lines relatively straight up and down.

1400 - 1800 Feet of Water

We have had our best luck catching black cod fishing in depths of 1400-1800 feet of water. At depths of 900-1300 we are typically catching other fish such as the shortraker rockfish (another excellent tasting fish).

UNQUOTE

I remember seeing a picture in a bar in Sitka of a guy holding what was a “black cod” (according to the caption) that weighed over 75 lbs....I had just graduated from the UW with a fisheries degree... I didn’t know much in those days but I did know right away that based on the fish’s markings (and the size), the fish ID was incorrect.

The guy was holding a Skilfish..... they are in the black cod family and have been documented to grow to almost 200 lbs..

Now that would be interesting——- reeling something that big up from 1,800 feet

71D623B0-247D-49EF-99DF-D9BE4A7140C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Sharphooks covers all the main points.

I use an electric reel and target 1600'. Bait, fish bellies. Tuna, salmon etc so I know the baits not come off. It's 10 minutes down and 10 minutes up at that depth so bait checks suck.

There are black cod in the deep inlets all across the coast.

Screenshot_20230613_061314_com.dropbox.android.jpgTrap Catch map.jpg

Last edited:
one of the tricks I have used to pull gear from deep depths w/o hydraulics/electrics is to chug ahead at a slow speed - as the line becomes almost horizontal behind you - go fast astern and pull the slack fast. It does require 2 people tho and maybe a few back n forths. The other option is to take along your teenage son/nephew and give them the line and tell them it is training for the football team and the girls like big muscles :)

Last edited:
A young indigenous fellow in Ukee told me he had a small black cod pot he drops in the trench on the way to South Bank. I think it's only 350ish feet there. I bumped into a retired fisherman/tackle guy once who said he did the odd charter and they got both Hali and black cod in a hole a ways past rat's nose. Also about 350.

Lots of Black Cod on the edge of any canyons. Focus on structure in the 500-700 ft range with small salmon bellies. I usually find them on the top flats near a steep drop off portion of the shelf. Don't be afraid to cover some ground and bounce around. Some good Hali fishing often mixed in.

While targeting hali last year around rats nose, we could not keep the black cod off. It was immediate quads the few spots we tried before giving up. 300ft. with Copper pipes. We kept our limits and glad we did since at the time we didn't think that a pesky bycatch could be so tasty.

While targeting hali last year around rats nose, we could not keep the black cod off. It was immediate quads the few spots we tried before giving up. 300ft. with Copper pipes. We kept our limits and glad we did since at the time we didn't think that a pesky bycatch could be so tasty.
I had the same experience on the Rat's Nose last year. Drifting for halibut and kept catching Sablefish. Caught 5 and then moved out of frustration. Nothing more than around 4-5 pounds - how big do they get? Didn't appreciate how incredibly great tasting they are. Should have stuck around and caught more. Now my wife's favourite tasting fish.

In the commie fishery an 8-12 is considered “L”——this year, “L” fish are hard to come by everywhere. A 4 - 5 pounder seems to be the most prevalent size out there which partly explains why dock prices are in the toilet

I had the same experience on the Rat's Nose last year. Drifting for halibut and kept catching Sablefish. Caught 5 and then moved out of frustration. Nothing more than around 4-5 pounds - how big do they get? Didn't appreciate how incredibly great tasting they are. Should have stuck around and caught more. Now my wife's favourite tasting fish.
My favourite too. Whomever called them butter fish was right

Yup about the same size. Holy they taste good!

Years ago while diving at night we came across one at about 80'. Wasn't huge guesstimate maybe 14" long. Couldn't get close but I think there were a few more around, the glowing eyes just off Porteau Cove. A bit of a surprise. Brown Point.

they grab the salmon bellies and its a total pain in the arse... chop them sables into 1/4's and use that for hali bait.

Back