Best rough water boat 24 feet or under

View attachment 84202
as good a looking boat as can be 25' Bertram

I've had people come up to me at the docks and say hey nice Bert...BTW this thing does great in most stuff a normal human would subject her too, and it's nice and steady. It won't win any speed records but it's great for our local waters 95% of the time, is self bailing and self contained so I don't worry too much about being caught out there.

I've had people come up to me at the docks and say hey nice Bert...BTW this thing does great in most stuff a normal human would subject her too, and it's nice and steady. It won't win any speed records but it's great for our local waters 95% of the time, is self bailing and self contained so I don't worry too much about being caught out there.
Other than the Bert part……You must be taking about my Bridgeview. :)

Love the Donzi F23. That’s what I run. It’s the design Grady bought from Donzi to build the 23 Seafarer
No such thing, "23 Seafarer"! If you go aluminum, get a suspension seat! Better yet get all suspension seats, so you don't upset everyone else!

No such thing, "23 Seafarer"! If you go aluminum, get a suspension seat! Better yet get all suspension seats, so you don't upset everyone else!
Quite a bit of misinformation out there about the Donzi walkaround. The hull is an OMC design

I miss your old boat. That thing was sexy
Old school would be the lkegendary Formula F233. The original cigarette boat, Miami Nassau race winner. 24 degrees deadrise, 8ft 3 beam. Don Aranow (later of Donzi) raced it (and later got shot in a Miami parking lot). Many of the east coast CCs are based on the hull, and the Australians fully took it on with Edencraft and others still building for the Aussie offshore fishing market. Formula continued the hand laid hull from the 60s through the late 70s. I had a '76 with a 454 Volvo DP and it was a freightrain that could hit 40 knts. Across and up the strait in every kind of weather without a concern beyond hanging on.

That donzi does have some familiar lines and the width is similar to the Gulfstream...maybe Grady drew some inspiration there.

I've been blown away by my 228 seafarer. Kept pace with a 282 coming in from outside nootka in weather I thought should have put me off plane. Maybe they where be polite to the customers, maybe I was running on the ragged edge.

Ride is such a subjective thing...some guys are happy to rattle the hardtop apart all day. Others require a fluffy couch to be satisfied...

For older designs Hourston all the way-they are narrow and have a good deep vee. Can be wet but so is a 228 grady. The 232 is too wide for its length and pushes too much water. Glass is going to be better than aluminum for the most part. I'm biased of course.

For older designs Hourston all the way-they are narrow and have a good deep vee. Can be wet but so is a 228 grady. The 232 is too wide for its length and pushes too much water. Glass is going to be better than aluminum for the most part. I'm biased of course.
How long is/was your hourston? the deeper V must ride nice, is it tippier at low speed? Have you been on a newer 228? I think yours was before they changed the hulls (1992ish).

always thought the 232 was bit short and stout but I'm sure it's a treat when drifting and trolling.

Just did a gruelling 4 hour run from Powell River to Ladysmith mid day today and damn I wish I had a Monaro to blast through that crap! :)
All kidding aside the run up on Wednesday into 18 knot winds across the Georgia Straight and the run back even a little sportier gave me new appreciation of my boat. It also made me make a new rule: 10 knots max forecast before I do that run again.

In the interest of sharing my observations I believe the fact that I don’t have too sharp of an entry saved me from some hard rolls today in some of the deeper quartering waves. I don’t know that any 24’ boat would have had an easy go of it in today’s conditions.

Back