Best rough water boat 24 feet or under

Much rarer imo than the opposite syndrome…boat envy. Of which I am a chronic sufferer.
I’m with you! I would love to see how the monaro and hourston perform Sept 8/9th out of Tofino, I’ll film. Just a quick rip out to the tuna grounds.I’m not choosy who I go with it’s like blonds or brunettes I’ll ride anything.

Really we need to qualify the waters. I remember my buddy saying the waves we were in off Effingham were like school bus size waves coming at us from all directions in my boat and it wasn’t comfortable. Still got our springs and halibut but wish I was able to compare hulls in that weather doing 10-15kn watching for a stern rouge wave.

Keep it going my friends…

Imagine riding in the snydermobile?! One of the best hulls ever.
@Sttr is giving it a hell of a go too…
Anyone know what happened to snyd’s ol’ 26? I wonder if it got finished and if justice was done.
I believe a forum member has it, @bonez10 I think. I could be wrong. I feel like I saw a post of his with it.

Why would anyone care if you passed them? Thats crazy though that your Monaro is somehow invincible when it comes to huge seas, freighter and I guess bc ferries wakes too? I guess if you like flying up 4 feet in the air at 20 knots and landing, i guess smooth as silk without so much as a rattle on deck, thats amazing. I would love to see this miracle boat take on a nw 20+kn wind in the straight doing 20 knots, truly would love to see that. Please film it as well too, please and thank you.
Glade to have shared the information.

I got me one of them 26 hourstons and I can bury the bow with green water all day long if i want. I can also make it slam once in a blue moon as I have gigantic trim tabs and if I get all goofy and trim it i will feel the slap. I've learned that not only pitch helps cut the water but so does laying it ever so slightly away from the head waves and she slices right in. It is solid af and very stiff.. (that's what she said haha)

I'm a racer at 22 knots! LOL Maybe we should talk about why slab sided boats are the least comfortable in any sea state. Some will know who I'm talking about. The thread was started with a question about ride.

Imagine riding in the snydermobile?! One of the best hulls ever.
@Sttr is giving it a hell of a go too…
Anyone know what happened to snyd’s ol’ 26? I wonder if it got finished and if justice was done.
Yeah me too. Also wonder if it has a command bridge or not, lol

I find I can manage about 18 knots up to 3' seas in the slop we are doled out in the straits beyond that I'm headed for the bar...
I find this thread way to subjective but amusing. Also, all my joking aside; maybe the 26’ Hourston isn’t the best boat in the chop on the West Coast but it is definitely the best looking in the chop!
That boat is the stuff that dreams are made of and I wish I had the budget and the chops to own one. Chuck definitely penned some timeless lines. I’ll just keep playing make believe with my 20’ even though I find it also has a beautiful ride. I’m glad that through this community I didn’t mess around with stepped pods or tiny motor brackets as aces mentioned full hull extension pod.

Thanks for sharing ab1752

Last edited:
Back