Best Rod Set Up for Trolling

Doubletyee

looking for advice on best way to set up a trolling rod. I usually put on a ball bearing swivel with a clip on it that I can easily attach a flasher too. Then to the flasher I have all my rigs set up with a 6 ball bearing swivel that I attach to the flasher. I have noticed that sometime I get really bad twisting on my line. What am I doing wrong. Any advice appreciated.

C59C3464-4346-4037-97D9-8917A06066F1.jpeg if you hit a jelly fish or some salad or algae filled waters with that setup you describe it will bung up that swivel at the lead end and cause your mainline to twist.
My setup is:
1- bead ( not necessary, just my own thing )
2- high quality bead chain
3- high quality split ring
4 - high quality quick change ( i’ve since gone to an even higher quality quick change than in this pic) McMahons work awesome as well.
the bead acts as a weed guard, as well as a stop to help save the rod eye. I drill a large hole in the bead so it slips over the knot and won’t chafe it. High quality bead chain is key , to a high quality quick change.

I don’t like those six bead swivels that usually sit on the counter in bulk by the cash register. i had two blow apart on me in one morning during fish battles.
Anyways, this setup works for me.

Last edited:
Bead
Ball bearing swivel
Quick Change clip (I use McMahon)

Attach flasher to quick change clip. Note flasher will have 2 swivels (usually 2 ball bearing swivels).

6 bead chain on end of leader....clip to flasher.

Shouldn’t have any twisting as you have 4 swivels...3 being ball bearing swivels.

I put a plastic bead bigger than the last eye on the rod for a stopper, a six ball bead chain, and a quick change Hawaiian clip then the flasher and hoochie or teaser-head or spoon. Some fishermen don’t care for all the hardware, but the fish don’t complain and line twist isn’t an issue anymore. Just be sure to buy quality gear, when you figure how much you spent on a boat etc., it doesn’t make sense to cheap-out on the last thing between you and the fish.

- stay away from those “bead’ chains, they gum up and cause issues. Use barrel chain swivels instead.
- check and lubricate swivels on flashers every year. Swivels seize up, some dip in fresh water after every use.
- watch your flasher action, some have a tendency to drag more (design, poor swivels on flasher, slight imperfections in flasher quality ?? I have used a new flasher once and thrown it out. Haven’t decided on a particular manufacturer as best yet.

I had all the bead chains swivels etc as shown above and was getting twist occasionally. A guide in Port Renfrew that I wrapped a rod for told me I was letting out too far (30 or 40 feet) and to go with 25 lb or 30 lb main line instead of 20 lb. The twisting stopped unless some crap blocked the bead chain

Back