Beginner hull polishing setup

Personally I use the throw away foam pads. These pads wax amazingly. These stick on with Velcro backing to the orbital backing plate disk. Once I’ve done one side of the boat then I use the wool disk to do a final spin. I use 3M compound then 3M polish. A 2 step process. I do it every year. It gets easier each year.

View attachment 91891
Sweet, I think that’s likely the route I’ll go.

I grabbed a cheapo King Canada Rotary polisher from KMS tools awhile back and its a bit heavier in weight but it has variable speed and did a nice job for a little under half the price of the Makita.

What do you guys do around the bottom paint? Mine like to smear black even when I'm just washing it

I followed this guide with good results: https://www.sailnet.com/threads/tips-for-compound-polish-wax.52772/

Used 3M Rubbing Compound for the first step followed by Presta Ultra Cutting Creme, then Chroma, and then finished with Collinite 885 Fleet Wax. Makita Rotary polisher and appropriate pads. Most years I just rewax or do a quick once over with the glazing compound (Chroma) if necessary.

You can get the Presta products at KMS tools.

Dave, can you post that little polisher you have again?
If you have major chalking this won’t work as well as a larger rotary polisher. But once you have the shine this is a great tool. Not very heavy and easy to use. 25’ cord and GFCI plug too.

15E078FF-83B4-4F08-AE55-D094017CAF1B.jpeg

62B276A2-5B47-4022-8BA0-3F33AD0C2570.jpeg

Not that I want to but what would it cost to have someone that has a one man boat polishing business to say cut and polish this
20220622_152533.jpg

last year was my first crack at it, granted it only needed a mild polish.

went with the porter cable dual action for a couple reasons s
- for a beginner much less risk of damage from what I read. The rotary can burn the gel coat easy if you don’t know what you are doing. I didn’t have much to polish off but definitely would want a rotary for a true cut polish/compound. The dual action worked great for waxing and light polish.
- paired it with a chemical guys 5” backing plate and the black foam lake country polishing pads.
- used the 3M perfect-it polish/wax one step.

Worked good for me, going to the same in a few weeks here

Not that I want to but what would it cost to have someone that has a one man boat polishing business to say cut and polish this
View attachment 91903
I had Rico and team over at Lions Gate Marina do mine this year. For hull cut polish + wax he charges $27/ft materials included.
He also did a full bottom scrap, epoxy coat, and new CSC bottom paint ( different quote)Wonderful guy to work with.
Above rub rail is $55 an hour.

They were working on this boat when I was there. I’m am sure it was a per hour rate. The other side was done already and looked like new.
You can see how the 3 fenders somewhat protected the hull from the sun.

4FF44BB3-145D-4A43-96F7-EF9259B30C6E.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 91903
I have a 26’ footer with a hardtop and it was pretty chalked up and way to much work for me , paid a pro to come to my place , took him 4 full 10 hr days and was all most $2k but well worth it for me.

Attachments

• AC4803AF-92C2-44EB-BD7F-FAA01C732E5A.jpeg
    AC4803AF-92C2-44EB-BD7F-FAA01C732E5A.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 0979936F-CA50-4BAB-AC14-B89981B81CFF.jpeg
    0979936F-CA50-4BAB-AC14-B89981B81CFF.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 25C2AC2E-ADD2-4336-B9C6-169400744818.jpeg
    25C2AC2E-ADD2-4336-B9C6-169400744818.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 49
  • F63D5FF1-B9F5-42E1-BD43-8BEAABC0CD74.jpeg
    F63D5FF1-B9F5-42E1-BD43-8BEAABC0CD74.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 49
If you have major chalking this won’t work as well as a larger rotary polisher. But once you have the shine this is a great tool. Not very heavy and easy to use. 25’ cord and GFCI plug too.

View attachment 91901

View attachment 91902
That shurhold polisher works great. I got it with the brush attachment for doing non-skid, and that was a game changer. They have some really helpful how to videos. Highly recommend it.

I have a 26’ footer with a hardtop and it was pretty chalked up and way to much work for me , paid a pro to come to my place , took him 4 full 10 hr days and was all most $2k but well worth it for me.
Worth it. I paid some cheap company in Vic to do my boat. Dude spent half his time staring at his phone. Told them just to focus on the boat, I find him doing the trailer, meanwhile the inside needed work.

Worth it. I paid some cheap company in Vic to do my boat. Dude spent half his time staring at his phone. Told them just to focus on the boat, I find him doing the trailer, meanwhile the inside needed work.
Titan Auto Detailing , guys name is Wes. Arms the size of my legs which is what you want in this situation. He has a Facebook page with lots of boat before and after. I went with the ceramic coating and it’s really held up well

Back