Beginner hull polishing setup

Maxpri

Hey guys, looking to cut and polish my hull for the first time myself and just wondering what I need to buy, I read a couple of threads on random orbital vs. rotary polishers and I am just a bit confused, what's the best setup for a first-timer? I will also need pads, a compound and polish if people have suggestions in that regard as well. Thanks!

Disclaimer:I have very little experience with this stuff....

I did a ton of research and learned:
-Random orbit does not have the power for heavy cutting on gel coat. (there are a few random orbits that have forced rotation that would help)
-Rotary has the power and can finish out nice with some practice.

I tried with the rotary and nothing scary happened, results are excellent. Wondering if a random orbit might be better for a light polish/wax when heavy cutting is not required. Makita makes a cordless random orbit with forced rotation option that it tempting.

Last edited:
Variable speed rotary. Weight is important. It's hard on your arms. There is a good thread from a month or so back.

I like the 3m dual sided wool pads they get into tight areas better than the single sided ones.

I have done many boats over the years from full on chalky white gel coat to a quick polish. I haven’t found any magic cream that makes it easy. 3m products seem to work well but I am sure others will do the same.

It’s an exercise in patience, find a procedure that works for your boat then do a little at a time.

For a final wax I have found Collinite to be the best. My last boat I tried 4 different waxes on the hull at the same time. After 6 month in the water Collinite still beaded the water like the day I put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_2874.png
    IMG_2874.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
I'm thinking about picking this one up. I have 15 of these batteries at work so it makes sense... right?
I was going to buy the Milwaukee version as I have the batteries for it but I can’t convince myself that packing a battery around for hours while polishing is going to be any fun. They are nicely balanced but you still need to hold it up.

Would be nice for a quick job but not a big one.

I was going to buy the Milwaukee version as I have the batteries for it but I can’t convince myself that packing a battery around for hours while polishing is going to be any fun. They are nicely balanced but you still need to hold it up.

The topside on my boat is huge. I figured at least for the flat areas it could pound through them. I did just hire a 17 year old apprentice though, so that might help too.

I like the 3m dual sided wool pads they get into tight areas better than the single sided ones.

I have done many boats over the years from full on chalky white gel coat to a quick polish. I haven’t found any magic cream that makes it easy. 3m products seem to work well but I am sure others will do the same.

It’s an exercise in patience, find a procedure that works for your boat then do a little at a time.

For a final wax I have found Collinite to be the best. My last boat I tried 4 different waxes on the hull at the same time. After 6 month in the water Collinite still beaded the water like the day I put it on.
do you use Collinite 885 paste wax?

Hey guys, looking to cut and polish my hull for the first time myself and just wondering what I need to buy, I read a couple of threads on random orbital vs. rotary polishers and I am just a bit confused, what's the best setup for a first-timer? I will also need pads, a compound and polish if people have suggestions in that regard as well. Thanks!
Where you located? You can borrow mine. Rotary. No need for it till next year.

The topside on my boat is huge. I figured at least for the flat areas it could pound through them. I did just hire a 17 year old apprentice though, so that might help too.
Haha lock the polisher on a slow speed and let him have at it! Just don’t let anyone at the marina get ahold of him he will have his own polishing business in no time.

Probably work awesome on the deck with little fatigue. Also would be great for the vehicles around the house that need a quick wax.

I went with the Milwaukee battery powered because I wanted to do touch ups around the summer when the boat is in the slip so I didn’t want a power cord around the water. It’s not bad at all, balance is great.
The oxidized portions of the boat I started with the 3M 05954, then Collinite 870, then 925.
Where there was no oxidation I went with the Collinite 870 then 925. Worked awesome.

I went with the Milwaukee battery powered because I wanted to do touch ups around the summer when the boat is in the slip so I didn’t want a power cord around the water. It’s not bad at all, balance is great.
The oxidized portions of the boat I started with the 3M 05954, then Collinite 870, then 925.
Where there was no oxidation I went with the Collinite 870 then 925. Worked awesome.
My whole boat needs a hard cut

I have the Milwaukee version. It’s no worse than a corded rotary polisher would be. The battery kind of balances it out

Personally I use the throw away foam pads. These pads wax amazingly. These stick on with Velcro backing to the orbital backing plate disk. Once I’ve done one side of the boat then I use the wool disk to do a final spin. I use 3M compound then 3M polish. A 2 step process. I do it every year. It gets easier each year.

IMG_0380.png

Back