BBQ

walleyes

Crew Member
Going to be purchasing a BBQ for the boat soon and just thought I would look for some input from the experienced as I have zero when it comes to boating BBQ’s.

Availability for me has some limitations as my local marine shop deals with certain suppliers only. I do want to keep my purchase local because well its local.

My options are:
Dickinson
Kuuma
Magma

Looking for a medium sized grill I would think, enough to do a 1/2 dozen burgers and a decent fish fillet on. Maybe a flat grill option. Price is not really too much of a problem I would think under the $600 range quality is paramount of course as well as heat is very important.

Thoughts and input please and Thanks.

I have a Magma that seems to work really well.
If you go that way and are in need of the rail mounting clamps, I have a set that I could part with (they're stupid expensive new!!).

Sea-B-Cue seems to be the popular choice at my marina. I have one. Nice heavy gauge stainless, still need to replace the $85 burner every couple seasons.

I have the smaller Sea-B-Que and it works well. The burner got all plugged up on it recently though (made hot spots) and i was able to get back to good running condition by cleaning the tube holes with a welder's tip cleaner set. you may have to adjust the regulator output on it mine was cranked up pretty high out of the factory. the instructions that come with it show you how. Very durable and good quality stainless. Wish the grill was stainless too though, it's enamel steel.

I have a small magma that I put a Scotty rod holder adapter on. Drops right into the rod holder mount on my transom. I'd try to go on the smaller side. A BBQ is a bulky item and can be a PITA to store if you get a bigger model.

Thx for the input so far.

Storage is definitely important to me as I don’t like stuff laying around or trippng over stuff. I plan on storing it down in the cuddy when not in use.

Thx for the input so far.

Storage is definitely important to me as I don’t like stuff laying around or trippng over stuff. I plan on storing it down in the cuddy when not in use.
Make sure you get some disposable pans/liners for your grease trap if that the plan. Bbq's can stick up a cuddy right quick.

I’ve found that in most cases with things on boats, no matter the price or said quality all things deteriorate. For that reason I’ve often resorted to yearly by yearly cheap throw outs. A good set up I did have and really liked was the smaller rectangular black Webber ones good hot even heat easy to store

upload_2019-2-7_14-36-34.pngThis style, I think Canada made only allows charcoal in this model but states still has propane version which is what I had for quite a few seasons

I had one of those Webers once, its sitting in the bottom of oak bay off cattle point now (don't ask). It had a nice stainless burner that cooked evenly well but the rest of it was disintegrating because its made of cheap steel which hates salt water before it met its untimely watery demise a few years back.

I'm happy with my kuuma 160. Not much for temp control on it though. Hot or really hot. Stores easy and has legs or rail mount.

Thx for all the input. From what it looks like there is no definitive brand that stands out as being either the best or the worst looks like its a personal preference purchase. Which is good, find what will work for me and purchase.

Thx again for the help and I’ll post later on in the spring with what I ended up buying.

Back