Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

I gather you could stay out for a few nights also on the boat. That would be a party, Im in

Lot's of them did it last year and it is a major factor to the cost of the runs for these addicting fish. Weather window is the big one with doing so. They were blessed with flat calm seas. We were all blessed with flat calm seas even into the weekend. Let's hope Mother Nature co-operates as well this year. It is going to be a crap shoot for sure. Look at where we live. That makes it even more exciting........................that is part of tuna fishing.

All I know that if you have 10k as a grand prize you might have some people that are not in it for fun. I'm sure that most will be and I don't know if there are any requirements to enter other than money? Sound like its going to be a blast. If you have 3 or 4 guys on a boat that come fishing for a weekend or a Week 500 bucks is cheap , that 500 bucks will hardly dent a week of tuna fish gas bill!

People who aren't in it for fun will lose out big time. It's their loss and not ours. There will be enough people there for the fun of it regardless of the fees associated.

All I know that if you have 10k as a grand prize you might have some people that are not in it for fun.

I think you pointed out something very valid. How are you guy's covering your azzes with liability issues. If the prize money get's to where you say it will what's not stopping joe blow with his 16' K&C from not trying for the big prize etc. Lorne is probably wishing he never sold the old blue girl lol. This is serious stuff that needs to be looked at. I think there is stuff in the WTC link I posted that deals with it. Something to consider for sure.

Safety first. Fish second. That should be the moto with this fishery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the whole bam tuna shoot thing but I think running a serious derby seems to take away from the whole buddy boat team thing that do date we have practiced. Just seems a bit weird to me. Having said that if there is a big prize then I am interested but the dynamic is going to change. I really like it when everyone is just out catching fish and having a good time together safely. It would be a shame if tuna fishing went the way of salmon fishing here so soon. The whole hush hush thing, its too early for that. Its to far off shore for that. I think more of a fun fishery with draws and minor prizes is appropriate. How about a Tofino weigh in station??? lol As discussed previously it is hard for us tofitians to get to bam when we are so good to go here.

Ok you're free to do as you like, nobody is anyone forcing you to participate in this derby or get free sponsor provided "menial" prizes. It is non profit so what does not go directly back into participants pockets will be going to local salmon enhancement or potentially a net pen project. I don't disagree $500 is steep but as already explained for a week, between multiple people, and with prizes that reflect the buy in then it seems reasonable.

Does that $500 include accomodations ?

Yep $500 buck covers the accomodation but you have to sleep on your boat on the hook!!

Hey, just asking. With all the costs involved with tuna fishing i thought i would get clarification.

JAC.............my boat isn't setup to sleep on, just to day fish

I like the whole bam tuna shoot thing but I think running a serious derby seems to take away from the whole buddy boat team thing that do date we have practiced. Just seems a bit weird to me. Having said that if there is a big prize then I am interested but the dynamic is going to change. I really like it when everyone is just out catching fish and having a good time together safely. It would be a shame if tuna fishing went the way of salmon fishing here so soon. The whole hush hush thing, its too early for that. Its to far off shore for that. I think more of a fun fishery with draws and minor prizes is appropriate. How about a Tofino weigh in station??? lol As discussed previously it is hard for us tofitians to get to bam when we are so good to go here.

Agree with this for sure.
It will be like the Port Alberni Derby ( 10G top prize) where the radio goes quiet and anyone that catches a fish tries to hide their gear. People cut off other peoples fish etc etc.

A fun derby with a couple hundred bucks top prize and 20$ a person would attract and promote tuna fishing more.

Agree with this for sure.
It will be like the Port Alberni Derby ( 10G top prize) where the radio goes quiet and anyone that catches a fish tries to hide their gear. People cut off other peoples fish etc etc.

A fun derby with a couple hundred bucks top prize and 20$ a person would attract and promote tuna fishing more.

WOW

Lotsa opinions... surprise surprise!!!

Anyhow, everyone will be happier once it's explained how the prize money and sponsored prizes will be divied out. It isn't just gonna be a biggest fish takes all type deal. There will be major prizes handed out for most helpful skipper (as voted) smallest peanut tuna, ect. MAJOR prizes.

It won't be anything like the PA derby Caroline, thats my least favorite thing in the world and will work to prevent it.

The very nature of tuna fishing is group oriented. People do better with more boats in there area. Being tight lipped only screws the guys who thinks he's smart. Anyhow as I said, prize distribution will reflect the nature of the event, mark my words.

Lotta more details being worked out, just wanted to get peoples heads around the beginning of this. Plenty of room for minds in the boardroom, I think we will bring two more into the coordinating fold.

We just want to have a fun event, promote the fishery, and in the end, any extra money is to sponsor a salmon project in our area.

Accoms not included in that price, but tshirts, gear, swag, a seminar and your entry fee will be!!

And, no, this event isn't going to appeal to everyone, but tuna fishing is not for everyone and $500 entry fee is to much for a boat that is fine. Most I know aren't deterred and are happy about the fact that the event is growing and expanding. There are costs to this and the money has to come from somewhere... might as well collect extra and give it back to the fleet!!

WOW

Lotsa opinions... surprise surprise!!!

Anyhow, everyone will be happier once it's explained how the prize money and sponsored prizes will be divied out. It isn't just gonna be a biggest fish takes all type deal. There will be major prizes handed out for most helpful skipper (as voted) smallest peanut tuna, ect. MAJOR prizes.

It won't be anything like the PA derby Caroline, thats my least favorite thing in the world and will work to prevent it.

The very nature of tuna fishing is group oriented. People do better with more boats in there area. Being tight lipped only screws the guys who thinks he's smart. Anyhow as I said, prize distribution will reflect the nature of the event, mark my words.

Lotta more details being worked out, just wanted to get peoples heads around the beginning of this. Plenty of room for minds in the boardroom, I think we will bring two more into the coordinating fold.

We just want to have a fun event, promote the fishery, and in the end, any extra money is to sponsor a salmon project in our area.

Accoms not included in that price, but tshirts, gear, swag, a seminar and your entry fee will be!!

And, no, this event isn't going to appeal to everyone, but tuna fishing is not for everyone and $500 entry fee is to much for a boat that is fine. Most I know aren't deterred and are happy about the fact that the event is growing and expanding. There are costs to this and the money has to come from somewhere... might as well collect extra and give it back to the fleet!!

Happy to hear you will do everything you can to keep it from being a PA style derby Jeff!

Good luck with it all guys.. lots of work I know.

I think it is cool that the event can be formed in part here by the participants.

Happy to hear you will do everything you can to keep it from being a PA style derby Jeff!

Good luck with it all guys.. lots of work I know.

Thanks Carolyne.

I am committed to keeping the friendly, info sharing format 100%.

Everyone loves contest when they have just as much chance as the next guy of winning LOL!

As for how many days a boat gets out to fish over the 8 day shootout, that will be individual choice as well. Just cant shorten the event or have a sliding scale for entry to be effective. Some boats will fish more days than others. Some boats will catch more in one day than some boats will catch in 3 days...

Absolutely! We want input, we want this to be a success, we are not looking to make anything off this, just to create a unique opportunity. Anyone is welcome to private message myself or Kelly with input as well.

I think it is cool that the event can be formed in part here by the participants.

Looks like 10 boats confirmed and 5 tentatives so far.

Leaves 35 spaces and that ad isn't done and hasn't gone out.

Thanks SFBC!!! Gonna be good!!!

Put me in as well at this point. I still would like to see the break down, how it will all work, and other sponsors etc..Keep the info coming guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just like to chip in my 2 cents...I have hesitated about commenting - I have helped to organize race events and a couple small derbies so I DO NOT wish to be anything other than appreciative to the folks working on this. Missing out on last year is my biggest regret of the year.
I have read the things mentioned about keeping the 'derby' from being too competetive and I hafta agree - please choose a format that is participation driven and not towards biggest or most fish!!!!
The week long timeframe is no doubt necessary for weather n water opportunity, but many participants aren't going to have the resources for that many days ( either costs, time, crew - whatever )
Could you consider a 'daily entry' and prize system? and/ or hidden draws for the week long 'grand' prize and award??? Anything that would make everyone feel like they had an equal chance and more importantly, and equal level of participation regardless of their 'pool of resources'
Whatever you decide, I would love to be involved.

Back