Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

I guess I posted on the wrong thread-maybe you tuna guys are interested. I'm rigging my 26' Skipjack for tuna/sox going by George Poveromo rigging system (8 rods) designed for shallow fishing. I have 2 X 16' outriggers with 2 halyards ea and 2 rods stacked on ea DR. Anyone tried this system? Pros/cons.

Does your Skippy have the fly bridge?And what do you run for power?They are a sweet boat !Any pics?

After last years slay fest running 6-7 rods and no meat lines...I think I will run 2,maybe 3 meat lines off the stern,2 rods off out riggers,2 rods off gunnel..I find to many rods takes up to much time!

8 rods?

WTH are you gonna do when you hit a school of fish?

OK I think it's 2 rods too many if you had a 35' plus boat and a seasoned crew maybe you could swing 8 but it sounds like a lot of work (except under perfect conditions).

He has a point when he says on his site that outriggers can cause erratic lure action and not in a good way.

http://www.georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=49

View attachment 5998

We must be doing something wrong lol...we ran 6 rods 2 years ago and up to 8 last season....(6 off the stern 2 on rocket launchers off the radar arch)....22' boat with 2 manning the 8 rods last year....no one was at the wheel when we hit the school but when we hit em we hit em hard! It was relatively hassle free fishing. I'm not going 60 miles to fish 2 rods. Next year they may be 10 hook in the water if I get into meat lines...but maybe 6 rods and 4 meats..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be running 5 rods and 8 hand.

WTH are you gonna do when you hit a school of fish?

To date I have only had one sextouple header and it went very well and they were all on rods. If there had been a couple of hand lines in that equation it would have been even easier!

I'll be running 5 rods and 8 hand.

To date I have only had one sextouple header and it went very well and they were all on rods. If there had been a couple of hand lines in that equation it would have been even easier!

Me likes!!

If you keep your trolling speed above 5-6knots when you hook up it is very easy to stay tangle free. If you are fishing the slide or a bait stop, it could get messy with all that tackle but for loading the boat on the troll, we haven't found a max number of lines in the water yet...

Ill draw up a configuration but know that 2 of the handlines are diveboards off tied off on the ends of the down riggers.

Interestingly, when we had the sextouple header we first hooked up a double and then slowed the boat down and the other 4 fish hit while we were going slow. I will post that diagram of the dive boards to the other tuna thread as to not derail this one.

If you are in a big school of fish maybe no need for 8 rods. Stacking the DR would be for sox. Skipjack has a flybridge,260 hp diesel and a kicker- great for overnite stays on the outside .

If you are in a big school of fish maybe no need for 8 rods.

Keywords "if" and even "if" your are they may not be chompin. A number of times I have been out with tuna jumping everywhere with little to no chompin going on. Its frustrating:mad:!!!

Thanks for the tip-I thought I had all the spares. The diesel is a kad44 Volvo- is that V clamp to the non return valve or exhaust pipe elbow?

The turbo to exhaust elbow clamp is the one that gave me trouble last year. It corrodes from the inside out so it can look fine on the outside but be rotted right out (like mine was). If you are new to this series of Volvo, shot me a PM, learned a few things the hard way last year

poster3_zps53f9b810.jpg

Updated version of the poster! Thanks to sculpin for talking to the guys at HC.

Looks great Kelly! Your running out of space lol. That's awesome. Lot's of new sponsors on there.

Hey guys, reminder time! Full details and posters coming out in a couple of weeks. Event is 50% sold out right now so if you are into it start trying to wrangle a crew.

Sounds like there is a pretty cool beer sponsor on board who is actually brewing a beer for the event!

So many cool sponsors and incredible prizes it's unreal. Rods, reels, electronics, cash...

Just a quick update, more to come.

Wow!!!. 25 boats already signed up. That's awesome. It's still spring lol. Great stuff Jeff. When do we need to get the registration money in by? I haven't ponied up yet ha ha. I will talk with my crew and get the funds going on soon if needed.

Thank you to you and Kelly and everyone else making this happen. It is ramping up to become a classic for sure. So cool!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back