Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

what about all the guys that get on a boat for a day as a deck hand? Kinda like you did kelly last year. How do they play into the equation. I know there was alot of that last year, and i would assume this year as well(probably the only way i could get on a rig).

Just talking out loud,.

Lorne

Deckhands would simply just split the costs with the boat owner fuel, entry etc. The problem that would arise is if people begun swapping boats during the derby which is an issue that would have to be planned out.

Do most feel the entry fee is to steep? If you do the math the grand prize would likely be in the range of $10,000 so it has the potential to make a few guys very happy. Our idea was that this fishery is not your average weekend warrior fishing, it typically has very high costs for a days fishing so a higher input/output cost for the derby style would be acceptable. As Sculpin said, money can bring "unwanted negatives" and that is not what the purpose of this event is. For that reason before any money was put forth clear rules would be established and followed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would probably be something discussed between you and your captain I would assume, The boat pays the fees and the boat wins the prizes, how that's all split up would have to be agreed upon by the crew.
Yeah I fished the Ukee tourney one year and the Guy who owned the boat made the rules clear before we left the dock-makes for a better trip that way IMO.

Do most feel the entry fee is to steep? If you do the math the grand prize would likely be in the range of $10,000 so it has the potential to make a few guys very happy. Our idea was that this fishery is not your average weekend warrior fishing, it typically has very high costs for a days fishing so a higher input/output cost for the derby style would be acceptable. As Sculpin said, money can bring unwanted negatives and that is not what the purpose of this event is.

I think once the rules are in place and all prizes and events laid out, scoring rules etc. most won't have a problem with the fee. Not knowing what the fee gets you if you are in the 95% of boats that come out empty handed in the prize money is likely what alarms people. With good sponsorship and well organized raffles, people will see the value in a fee of this magnitude. Larger fees will increase sponsorship attention and add value to the event.

Deckhands would simply just split the costs with the boat owner fuel, entry etc. The problem that would arise is if people begun swapping boats during the derby which is an issue that would have to be planned out.

Do most feel the entry fee is to steep? If you do the math the grand prize would likely be in the range of $10,000 so it has the potential to make a few guys very happy. Our idea was that this fishery is not your average weekend warrior fishing, it typically has very high costs for a days fishing so a higher input/output cost for the derby style would be acceptable.

You need to get it all settled and then tell us how it will work. I am a pretty patient guy and will wait to hear you guys out. The poster shocked a few for sure. I know the risks involved with this fishery. The 500 split between a crew is not that bad. If it is non profit and some of the proceeds go towards salmon, I'm all in. I know first hand how much fun this will be and I know this is not your typical fishery. Look at my sig line lol. It is not just for the wealthy either as some of us have proven. There will be open seats and this needs to be sticky'd or something once we get closer. That is how a lot of us got into it. Hopping on others boats. IMO it is the best way to experience this fishery for the first time to try it out.

The last two posts nailed it.

Yes seeing the $500 just to enter a derby without knowing what it involves is a bit unsettling. Just bear with us for the time being as we continue to organize. We are not expecting people to register before they know the full rules, prizes etc and that should make things a bit more clear on what exactly you get with your investment. We will also confirm where the donated money will be directed before anyone registers. The premature release was to let people begin planning their trips and to start pursuing sponsorships.

Since this is an 8 days derby, I am just wondering how this is fair if some boats will fish maybe 4-5 or maybe more days but I know my self Ican not stay longer than one weekend , coming from mainland .
Would it not be more proper if it would be a weather permitting 3 day derby (like most derbies are) where it can be postponed in poor weather. This way everyone has a fair chance at the main prize.

$500 is also kind of steep seeing as how most boats only have 2 or 3 people participating in the derby, not 4 or 5 which is suggested by the price.

I also feel that last year since the derby was free there were such great relationships built with everyone as everyone was so helpful and letting everyone know of the good fishing spots, this fee will take away this friendly aspect as now everyone will be competing against each other.

Despite all of this, this derby is a great idea and I am looking forward to participating in it for the weekend.

So if weather doesn't cooperate....do we jig for bullheads from the docks:p....or just a "drink til ya drop" for $10k?? ;) :p

Kelly....I want a BC Tough shirt in pink please.:cool:

I like the 8 day idea. Too many factors to nail it down to one weekend. I don't think you want to risk having the event cancelled in its first sponsored year. It will make future sponsorship real tough because money will be out of pocket long before this event gets underway.

So if weather doesn't cooperate....do we jig for bullheads from the docks:p....or just a "drink til ya drop" for $10k?? ;) :p

Kelly....I want a BC Tough shirt in pink please.:cool:

Where the f*ck were you last year Scott. Don't even start lol. Oh yeah you were bad mouthing Bamtown in one of your last posts on the subject if I recall:rolleyes:. You have to get your butt over there and hop on a boat for this one buddy. There will be lot's of open seats for sure. Quit while your ahead brotha or your presence could bring you bad karma or pranks LOL:p. Stepping into wilderness territory buddy (Bamtown is pretty isolated). Just warning ya:cool:.

stepping into the wilderness is right, especially on the west side, thats where the wierdo's turn crazy!

53 posts in 4 hours and the event is 9 months away! can you feel the excitement!!

Dont be gay Scott!

Lorne

Your posts in this thread are laced with hate crimes against Jews, gays, myself, Crabby Chris, his wallet and the colour pink.......can someone please page a Moderator??? :p :p :p

Don't hate.....congratu- late. ;)

Where the f*ck were you last year Scott.

I heard there was a slim chance of rain.....it causes the pink in my T-shirt to run into my socks with the Pom poms on the back. :eek:

Plus.....work called.....and I had already slayed on Labour Day Sunday when you slept in as your " jam jams" with the sewn in feet were too cozy. :p :p

I heard there was a slim chance of rain.....it causes the pink in my T-shirt to run into my socks with the Pom poms on the back. :eek:

Plus.....work called.....and I had already slayed on Labour Day Sunday when you slept in as your " jam jams" with the sewn in feet were too cozy. :p :p

I can't even reply to that as I am pissing myself laughing.....................:D.

I knew you would derail this thread damn it. I tried to fend him off guy's:p.

You better show up for this one Scotty. You would be a major addition to the fun factor.

Cheers,
John

Back