Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

If anyone can, Chris will attest to my Jew side (looking forward to Duff's riggers! lol)....$500 might be abit steep for our boat...we only need 2 to go out and slay it. Anymore people and that means less fish to bring home!!!

Since the weather is the ultimate factor in all of this it could be 5 days of fishing for $500 bucks entry....or 5 nights of drinking at the dock!! I have no problem with the intentions of an entry fee to generate some revenue and prizes n whatnot but this isn't salmon fishing and a higher power (The mighty Ocean) will determine if we are Tuna fishing or not.

I have to ask since a few of us were thinking of doing this next year..
As I understand it (I was not there last year) boats keep in touch and pass on co-ords of the schools of fish so eveyone would hopefully get into a few fish.
If prize money is involved ( for most fish, biggest fish) I would think that anyone with any commom sense would not pass any info on if they were slaying them.
May possibly be a downfall for getting more people to participate?

As I understand it (I was not there last year) boats keep in touch and pass on co-ords of the schools of fish so eveyone would hopefully get into a few fish.
If prize money is involved ( for most fish, biggest fish) I would think that anyone with any commom sense would not pass any info on if they were slaying them.

I think this is a very legit question. I for one would radio in co-ords if we were on fish. That's just me. I wouldn't enter this event solely with the intent of winning or getting any money out it. I would enter it just for the good times:cool:. You can't put a price on that.

It's kind of like tuna fishing itself. The reward is the great day on the water with friends and the tuna are just icing on the cake. I see this event as no different really. The time on and off the water is what's it's all about. The prizes would be just icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 guys on my boat?My boat would sink with all that beer ,skipper and 2 deck hands is enough!...I'm sure my jewy purse will squeak open for this one!

Duffer,you are WT all the way bud!

Well you can pencil this peice of WT if theres room with more then 30mins notice this year sir!

Lorne

I don't think that would really be the case in this situation, the more boats working an area for tuna, the more hits you will get. Honing in on a school takes teamwork IMO. This is only the case on the troll however, if I was tossing iron to a school of jumpers, I would be hesitant to start calling other boats over as it could turn into a real circus.

I think this is a very legit question. I for one would radio in co-ords if we were on fish. That's just me. I wouldn't enter this event solely with the intent of winning or getting any money out it. I would enter it just for the good times:cool:. You can't put a price on that.

Hey Scupin,

I hear ya..
Many wont enter because of the lack of help from other anglers etc the happens during a derby for money$ and most or biggest fish.FACT.

I think we would enter if it was a lottery system or something.
I still want to make it out there this season for sure...

$500 entry will go back into prizes and I can guarantee everyone will go home with some great stuff. We haven't announced the sponsorship line up of prizes as well. If your spending thousands on the trip, tens of thousands on the rig etc then the entry fee split up and likely made back in prizes does not seem overwhelming.

We will certainly think hard over the scoring of the derby with daily categories etc. Selfish approaches will not be an issue as it is contradictory to the entire purpose of the event. This is not your average salmon derby and anyone who participated can attest that this is for the fun of the fishery and will be the highlight of the year for most.

$500 entry will go back into prizes and I can guarantee everyone will go home with some great stuff. We haven't announced the sponsorship line up of prizes as well. If your spending thousands on the trip, tens of thousands on the rig etc then the entry fee split up and likely made back in prizes does not seem overwhelming.

We will certainly think hard over the scoring of the derby with daily categories etc. Selfish approaches will not be an issue as it is contradictory to the entire purpose of the event. This is not your average salmon derby and anyone who participated can attest that this is for the fun of the fishery and will be the highlight of the year for most.

Great post Kelly. Please read that WTC rule link I posted (if you haven't already). There is some good stuff in there especially about what folks get for entering etc. Makes it more attractive and fun. You guys PM me with anything you would like a hand with. Keep up the good work. Kudos to all involved organizing this.

Its going to be the event of the year no matter how or what the prizes are. Thanks again Kelly!

Can't wait!!

Great post Kelly. Please read that WTC rule link I posted (if you haven't already). There is some good stuff in there especially about what folks get for entering etc. Makes it more attractive and fun. You guys PM me with anything you would like a hand with. Keep up the good work. Kudos to all involved organizing this.

Thanks for the link Sculpin, I did check it out and that will certainly be helpful in giving us ideas. We will write up a similar list of rules well before the event, that also states everything that the entry fee will include. As planned, the entry fee will include not just entry to the derby but also complimentary gear that should entice anyone on the fence.

If your spending thousands on the trip, tens of thousands on the rig etc then the entry fee split up and likely made back in prizes does not seem overwhelming

Put me in the White Trash Division please. After spending thousands on the trip, and tens of thousands on the rig, I'd rather put $500 in the tank and run out for another day of fishing....It costs enough for me to get these fish to the freezer (and my money tree has yet to sprout). lol

If I did chunk down $500, I'd rather fight for an all or nothing cash prize....no menial door prizes for showing up lol. All or Nothing!!

x2 to what Harper44 said. The work and effort that Jeff, Kelly, and the rest behind the scenes are putting into this event will be the event to look forward to I think. We are all pretty grateful for the work you folks are doing and appreciate opening the dialogue on this event to make it continually better than the last.

Cheers!

Here is a link to the WTC photo gallery for last year's event.

http://s1262.beta.photobucket.com/user/washingtontunaclassic/library/2012 WTC Album

Impressive to say the least. The photos do the talking.

2013 entry fee is 320 bucks with side pots extra. Their event is huge and they probably can make up for it in the volume of entrants. Just looking at it from attraction point of view and preliminary point of view I think the entry fee seems kind of steep. Baby steps guy's....baby steps. This is just my opinion without knowing the rest of the sponsors and prize set up etc. I do realize that the 500 spit between an average crew of three or four is doable (hell I'd enter just to get some of those posters lol).

Have you looked at moorage and the possibility of a lot of folks showing up? Can you reserve spaces at the government wharf?

Put me in the White Trash Division please. After spending thousands on the trip, and tens of thousands on the rig, I'd rather put $500 in the tank and run out for another day of fishing....It costs enough for me to get these fish to the freezer (and my money tree has yet to sprout). lol

If I did chunk down $500, I'd rather fight for an all or nothing cash prize....no menial door prizes for showing up lol. All or Nothing!!

Ok you're free to do as you like, nobody is anyone forcing you to participate in this derby or get free sponsor provided "menial" prizes. It is non profit so what does not go directly back into participants pockets will be going to local salmon enhancement or potentially a net pen project. I don't disagree $500 is steep but as already explained for a week, between multiple people, and with prizes that reflect the buy in then it seems reasonable.

what about all the guys that get on a boat for a day as a deck hand? Kinda like you did kelly last year. How do they play into the equation. I know there was alot of that last year, and i would assume this year as well(probably the only way i could get on a rig).

Just talking out loud,.

Lorne

Here is a link to the WTC photo gallery for last year's event.

http://s1262.beta.photobucket.com/user/washingtontunaclassic/library/2012 WTC Album

Impressive to say the least. The photos do the talking.

2013 entry fee is 320 bucks with side pots extra. Their event is huge and they probably can make up for it in the volume of entrants. Just looking at it from attraction point of view and preliminary point of view I think the entry fee seems kind of steep. Baby steps guy's....baby steps. This is just my opinion without knowing the rest of the sponsors and prize set up etc. I realize that the 500 spit between and average crew of three or four is not that much. Hell I'd enter just to get some of those posters lol.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the WTC is that much of the entry fee does not make it back into the prize pool. that turnament has a $320 entry fee and a top prize of $1500. I think its hard to compare that event with this one. The big prize for the WTC is the entry into an OWC event. With good sponsorship and prizes that reflect the buy-in, its all good IMO

That being said, theres lots to learn from guys that have been putting on a solid event like that in terms of scoring and rules.

what about all the guys that get on a boat for a day as a deck hand? Kinda like you did kelly last year. How do they play into the equation. I know there was alot of that last year, and i would assume this year as well(probably the only way i could get on a rig).

Just talking out loud,.

Lorne

That would probably be something discussed between you and your captain I would assume, The boat pays the fees and the boat wins the prizes, how thats all split up would have to be agreed upon by the crew.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the WTC is that much of the entry fee does not make it back into the prize pool. that turnament has a $320 entry fee and a top prize of $1500. I think its hard to compare that event with this one. The big prize for the WTC is the entry into an OWC event. With good sponsorship and prizes that reflect the buy-in, its all good IMO

That being said, theres lots to learn from guys that have been putting on a solid event like that in terms of scoring and rules.

That was more what I was getting at. I don't think that anyone is wanting this to go IGFA or anything. We are just trying to have fun. The down side is the money factor this year. It makes people crazy LOL!!!

Back